Author Topic: Ignore the billboard. Hire the right coach for the right reasons.  (Read 14672 times)

Re: Ignore the billboard. Hire the right coach for the right reasons.
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2021, 11:09:22 AM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
So tired of the woke crowd claiming discrimination because they are females. It’s called discrimination because neither has been a head coach in the NBA. Let me repeat that, neither have coached a single game in the NBA.

Get outta here with the constant racial undertone thing.

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2021, 11:12:20 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He's pretty explicit that he thinks Lawson and Hammon are only being pushed by fans because of their gender.

They’re only being pushed by that billboard and those that support the billboard because of their sex, no?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2021, 11:22:59 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
So tired of the woke crowd claiming discrimination because they are females. It’s called discrimination because neither has been a head coach in the NBA. Let me repeat that, neither have coached a single game in the NBA.

Get outta here with the constant racial undertone thing.

By this logic we shouldn't be looking at Sam Cassell or Chauncey Billups and we shouldn't have hired Brad Stevens.

Curious to know who your preferred head coach is, given that you don't want someone who hasn't been an NBA head coach before.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2021, 11:25:40 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
"Becky Hammond and Kara Lawson are both qualified candidates for coaching"

Yeah. It's like the OP put that in there just to make him (or her I suppose) feel better about the blatant misogyny.

Blatant or projected?

Pretty blatant. The post might as well start with, "I'm not a misogynist but..."

He says we know very little about the coaching schemes or experience of Lawson or Hammon but then advocates for two candidates without bringing up their schemes or coaching experience at all. His criticisms of those advocating for Lawson or Hammon is really telling on himself.

fwiw, I'm a Cassell guy.

Gender is the only variable you're seeing there? So maybe a little projection there?
Smartacus:
Now that there are two high profile female candidates for the head coaching positions many people in Massachusetts are foaming at the mouth to hire one of them.

Becky Hammon and Kara Lawson are both qualified candidates for coaching but I do not believe for one second that the majority of support they are getting has anything to do with basketball.

He's pretty explicit that he thinks Lawson and Hammon are only being pushed by fans because of their gender.

Yeah, that's not misogyny. He's criticizing a certain bias, not women's ability.

He's trying to criticize bias but he doesn't seem to be aware of his own.

He says Hammon and Lawson aren't the right candidates and then advocates for two other candidates for whom the same criticism he levels at Lawson and Hammon apply (Billups more than Cassell but Cassell has still never been a head coach and we still don't know anything about his "coaching schemes"). 
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2021, 11:25:51 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
You can make a case if you want to hire the best candidate and to not just make a progressive gesture. That is a legitimate point.

You just can't then turn around and tell us your preference is to hire Chauncy Billups. He's a more obvious gesture. He's not qualified by any traditional measure other than he's a former black player of some stature.

Both Hammon and Lawson who were cited have a significantly better case that they are ready to be an NBA coach than Billups does. Don't say hire the best candidate and then give us somebody who you like on TV.

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2021, 11:27:13 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

They’re only being pushed by that billboard and those that support the billboard because of their sex, no?

I take issue with your use of "only".
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2021, 11:33:26 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Yeah. It's like the OP put that in there just to make him (or her I suppose) feel better about the blatant misogyny.

Blatant or projected?

Pretty blatant. The post might as well start with, "I'm not a misogynist but..."

He says we know very little about the coaching schemes or experience of Lawson or Hammon but then advocates for two candidates without bringing up their schemes or coaching experience at all. His criticisms of those advocating for Lawson or Hammon is really telling on himself.

fwiw, I'm a Cassell guy.

Gender is the only variable you're seeing there? So maybe a little projection there?
Smartacus:
Now that there are two high profile female candidates for the head coaching positions many people in Massachusetts are foaming at the mouth to hire one of them.

Becky Hammon and Kara Lawson are both qualified candidates for coaching but I do not believe for one second that the majority of support they are getting has anything to do with basketball.

Yeah, that's not misogyny. He's criticizing a certain bias, not women's ability.

He says Hammon and Lawson aren't the right candidates and then advocates for two other candidates for whom the same criticism he levels at Lawson and Hammon apply (Billups more than Cassell but Cassell has still never been a head coach and we still don't know anything about his "coaching schemes").

Everyone has bias. That doesn't mean his criticism isn't valid or constructive to recognize. Certainly doesn't merit being called misogyny. That anyone is right or wrong about Billups and/or Hammon doesn't mean we should project undue labels.

The fact is, a lot of people probably favor Hammon for the right reasons and could ultimately be wrong. Some might favor her for the wrong reasons, but could end up being right. Same for any coach, really.

This is really all about best process and the original post was a reminder to try to follow best process.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 05:13:47 PM by gift »

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2021, 11:34:41 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

What are the chances that Becky and Kara just happen to be the #1 and #2 choices in either order? Otherwise, why would those two people be singled out for a billboard other than gender?

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2021, 11:35:00 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

So what is the connotation of this “shake it up” then? And what commonalities do Kara and Becky share that they would both deserve to have their names mentioned on the same billboard that hiring either of them (doesn’t seem to matter which one) would be considered a “shaking up” of things?

Is it because they haven’t been head coach before? Because I’d say that’s the opposite of shaking it up. CBS was hired without being an NBA head coach as well.
- LilRip

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2021, 11:36:17 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

What are the chances that Becky and Kara just happen to be the #1 and #2 choices in either order? Otherwise, why would those two people be singled out for a billboard other than gender?

Of course they're being singled out for their gender. I take issue with the idea that they're being singled out "only" because of their gender.

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2021, 11:39:45 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Of course they're being singled out for their gender. I take issue with the idea that they're being singled out "only" because of their gender.

Why are they "only" ones on the billboard?

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2021, 11:39:59 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

Blatant or projected?

fwiw, I'm a Cassell guy.

Smartacus:

Everyone has bias. That doesn't mean his criticism isn't valid or constructive to recognize. Certainly doesn't merit being called misogyny. That anyone is right or wrong about Billups and/or Hammond doesn't mean we should project undue labels.

The fact is, a lot of people probably favor Hammond for the right reasons and could ultimately be wrong. Some might favor her for the wrong reasons, but could end up being right. Same for any coach, really.

This is really all about best process and the original post was a reminder to try to follow best process.
Except Smartacus advocates for a process based on experience and knowledge of coaching schemes and then suggests two candidates without head coaching experience (one with significantly less coaching experience than Lawson or Hammon) and whose coaching schemes we know nothing about.

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2021, 11:40:53 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

Why are the "only" ones on the billboard?

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2021, 11:45:20 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Blatant or projected?

fwiw, I'm a Cassell guy.

Smartacus:

Everyone has bias. That doesn't mean his criticism isn't valid or constructive to recognize. Certainly doesn't merit being called misogyny. That anyone is right or wrong about Billups and/or Hammond doesn't mean we should project undue labels.

The fact is, a lot of people probably favor Hammond for the right reasons and could ultimately be wrong. Some might favor her for the wrong reasons, but could end up being right. Same for any coach, really.

Except Smartacus advocates for a process based on experience and knowledge of coaching schemes and then suggests two candidates without head coaching experience (one with significantly less coaching experience than Lawson or Hammon) and whose coaching schemes we know nothing about.

No one is saying Smartacus has the secret formula for the best process or the best coach. But his criticism was valid. If we're driving somewhere together and I give some good reasons to take one route over another, that doesn't mean that route is going to be better. It just means I made some observations about why one route might not necessarily be the best.

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2021, 11:46:24 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Why are the "only" ones on the billboard?

What other reasons are they being singled out?