Author Topic: Ignore the billboard. Hire the right coach for the right reasons.  (Read 14757 times)

Re: Ignore the billboard. Hire the right coach for the right reasons.
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2021, 11:37:17 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
WEEI is saying the Celtics are "prioritizing Black candidates." They say the names they've "reached out" to are Billups, Darvin Ham, Charles Lee, Ime Udoka and Jamahl Mosley.
All are NBA asst coaches.

« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2021, 12:35:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
WEEI is saying the Celtics are "prioritizing Black candidates." They say the names they've "reached out" to are Billups, Darvin Ham, Charles Lee, Ime Udoka and Jamahl Mosley.

That is a nice group of assistants. Kyrie made sure it would be an African American. The only one I really heard of before is Udoka because of his connection with Popovich.

He is now my favorite .... no way the new coach is not black ...I tried for Becky, but she probably wasn’t coming anyway...lol

Come on down Ime!

« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2021, 12:44:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

It seems clear that it's what the players want.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2021, 12:45:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Very surprising how threatened some seem to be by a billboard...

for real
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2021, 01:00:24 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
In an ironic life twist:

In the real world, for a lot of office jobs, there's a huge stigma if you're currently unemployed for more than 6+ months.  Supposedly, a lot of HR people will automatically not consider your resume if they see you've been out of work for that long.  If nobody has hired you yet, something must be wrong with you.  Also a lesser, but similar stigma often exists if you try to go the management route but sit in one position too long without getting promoted.

I know these stigmas exist and absolutely hate it.

Now thinking about the next head coach.  A lot of the names thrown out there, these guys have been assistants for 10+ years.  And I find myself thinking something must be wrong with them if nobody has offered them a head coaching job yet.

Doc Rivers got a head coaching job right away and was COY in his first year.

Stevens went from college kid to assistant coach to D1 head coach to NBA coach by the time he was 36.

Guys like Ainge and Steve Kerr get GM and coaching jobs with out any experience and turn that into great stories of success.

These are the kinds of wunderkinds I want as the next Celtics coach.

I don't want Sam Cassell or Darvin Ham or any these guys that have been assistants for 10+ years.  Something must be wrong with them if nobody has hired them yet.  I want the guys that teams are fighting over who seemingly shoot to the top with no/minimal dues (don't worry, you don't have to point out how flawed this thinking is, I know guys who go this route often suck.  Looking at you Jason Kidd, Mark Jackson, Steve Nash, Luke Walton, etc.)

Based on my faulty logic,  Billups sounds like a good candidate (dude was being offered GM jobs right away, also seems like he'll have his choice of coaching offers).  Kara Lawson, who very quickly went from player to analyst to NBA assistant to major D1 coach and now possibly NBA coach sounds even better!

I hate when HR and hiring managers treat people like this in the real world, now I find myself treating coaching candidates the same way.  Go figure lol.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 01:17:53 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2021, 01:26:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In an ironic life twist:

In the real world, for a lot of office jobs, there's a huge stigma if you're currently unemployed for more than 6+ months.  Supposedly, a lot of HR people will automatically not consider your resume if they see you've been out of work for that long.  If nobody has hired you yet, something must be wrong with you.  Also a lesser, but similar stigma often exists if you try to go the management route but sit in one position too long without getting promoted.

Now thinking about the next head coach.  A lot of the names thrown out there, these guys have been assistants for 10+ years.  And I find myself thinking something must be wrong with them if nobody has offered them a head coaching job yet.

Stevens went from college kid to assistant coach to D1 head coach to NBA coach by the time he was 36.

Guys like Ainge and Steve Kerr get GM and coaching jobs with out any experience and turn that into great stories of success.

I don't want Sam Cassell or Darvin Ham or any these guys that have been assistants for 10+ years.  Something must be wrong with them if nobody has hired them yet.  I want the guys that teams are fighting over who seemingly shoot to the top with no/minimal dues (don't worry, you don't have to point out how flawed this thinking is, I know guys who go this route often suck.  Looking at you Jason Kidd, Mark Jackson, Steve Nash, Luke Walton, etc.)

Based on my faulty logic,  Billups sounds like a good candidate (dude was being offered GM jobs right away, also seems like he'll have his choice of coaching offers).  Kara Lawson, who very quickly went from player to analyst to NBA assistant to major D1 coach and now possibly NBA coach sounds even better!

I hate when HR and hiring managers treat people like this in the real world, now I find myself treating coaching candidates the same way.  Go figure lol.

Yep, that is indeed faulty logic.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2021, 01:57:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
In an ironic life twist:

I don't know, there may very well be some truth to a lot of it.  That isn't to say it would work in every scenario, but if someone is in the same job and keeps getting passed up for promotions, there is probably a reason and that reason is probably more times than not some form of competence. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2021, 02:10:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
In an ironic life twist:

I don't know, there may very well be some truth to a lot of it.  That isn't to say it would work in every scenario, but if someone is in the same job and keeps getting passed up for promotions, there is probably a reason and that reason is probably more times than not some form of competence.

How long was Thibs an assistant before he became a head coach?  The answer: 20.

Pops?  Six years as an assistant.  Spoelstra?  Eleven.  Mike Malone? Ten.  Carlisle, also eleven.

An analysis that would see Kara Brooks as a hot commodity because she had one year as a lower level assistant coach is faulty, particularly when it excludes guys who have worked under some of the best coaches in the league.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2021, 02:20:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
In an ironic life twist:

I think a lot of the reason why people with less experience get jobs over those with more experience comes down to the inexperienced person showing they are innovative and have a firmer grip on the larger and future view of the situation. Those abilities make them shine in the eyes of people doing the hiring.

Competence definitely has something to do with it too, as you mention. Some of these long time assistants could be poor people managers or poor time managers or lacking in running a system or poor ability to teach/develop youth. They just may have maxed out their coaching abilities in a smaller position and just don't have that special "it" that it takes to be a head coach, so will never become a head coach.

« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2021, 03:11:58 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 594
SMH......now we have to consider freaking gender/race diversity in coaching hires? Getting less and less interested in sports. Can't simply root for your team, nope, you have to align with a particular side of politics now.

And if you dare say....gasp.......don't let gender/race even enter into the discussion, you're a sexist or racist.

These team has a very good chance at being something special. They start letting gender factor into hiring decisions then the deserve to become irrelevant.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2021, 03:22:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
SMH......now we have to consider freaking gender/race diversity in coaching hires? Getting less and less interested in sports. Can't simply root for your team, nope, you have to align with a particular side of politics now.

And if you dare say....gasp.......don't let gender/race even enter into the discussion, you're a sexist or racist.

These team has a very good chance at being something special. They start letting gender factor into hiring decisions then the deserve to become irrelevant.

To me, it’s obvious.

Don’t hold back Becky Hammon because she’s a woman.

Don’t give shortcuts to Kara Lawson because she’s a woman.

« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2021, 04:34:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Don't do a hire to make a statement.

This guy was a great head coach and he was an assistant for many years.
As coach:
1967–1970   Brandeis
1970–1971   Harvard (assistant)
1971–1972   Los Angeles Lakers (assistant)
1972–1973   San Diego Conquistadors
1973–1976   Capital / Washington Bullets
1976–1977   Milwaukee Bucks (assistant)
1978–1983   Boston Celtics (assistant)
1983–1988   Boston Celtics
1989–1990   Seattle SuperSonics (assistant)
1990–1992   Seattle SuperSonics
1994–1995   Detroit Pistons (assistant)
1996–1997   Boston Celtics (assistant)
As assistant coach:      2× NBA champion (1972, 1981)
As coach:      2× NBA champion (1984, 1986)

There is nothing wrong with being a long term assistant head coach, I was referring to KC Jones.

That cut conceivably cut both ways though.  Did she have a meteoric rise solely on her merits or because of she was a ground breaking gender barrier breaker?   I think she is qualified as long as she does not tweak people's jumpers for the record.  I also think it is funny that you use her D -1 coaching experience as they really did not have a season last year due to Covid
                                        GAMES             CONFERENCE
 2020–21    Duke    3–1             0–1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kara_Lawson

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 04:46:52 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2021, 04:41:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
In an ironic life twist:

Pops?  Six years as an assistant.  Spoelstra?  Eleven.  Mike Malone? Ten.  Carlisle, also eleven.

An analysis that would see Kara Brooks as a hot commodity because she had one year as a lower level assistant coach is faulty, particularly when it excludes guys who have worked under some of the best coaches in the league.
But those guys often weren't having their name out there for head coaching positions and weren't being passed up.  There is a difference between working your way up vs. being passed over, or not rising the ranks, etc. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2021, 05:10:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
In an ironic life twist:

But those guys often weren't having their name out there for head coaching positions and weren't being passed up.  There is a difference between working your way up vs. being passed over, or not rising the ranks, etc.

Thibs wanted a head coaching gig.  He was continually passed over.  The same thing is true with the other guys; none of them were denying interviews, they simply weren’t being offered them.

The list of guys I listed is no different than Sam Cassell or Darvin Ham or any other long-term assistant.  Whether these guys are interviewing and not getting the job, versus simply not getting interviews, it doesn’t suggest that they’re not quality candidates. 

« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2021, 05:13:56 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

are you angry?