Author Topic: Don't Trade Kemba  (Read 3570 times)

Don't Trade Kemba
« on: June 09, 2021, 04:14:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
It would be a mistake. 

He has negative trade value. 

He actually played pretty well when he was able to rest.  He averaged 26 PPG last month of this season. 

If we struggle with him as a starter, bring him off the bench. Start Romeo and Smart as our guards, together with the J's and Rob.

Whatever issues Kemba had were with Danny Ainge, not with Brad.  Let the new coach figure out how to get the most out of Kemba. But don't trade him, especially if it means giving up assets (Romeo or Nesmith) to get rid of him.  I like those guys, they are young and going to get a lot better.

I'd rather trade Pritchard, because I think he has good trade value right now. And if we have Kemba come off the bench, it does not make sense having Pritchard also come off the bench. And he is not starter worthy. 

Re: Don't Trade Kemba
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 04:19:17 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Unless it is for smaller pieces that can be repackaged later or into cap space with nothing coming back, I rather they keep him as well. 

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 04:43:07 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
It would be a mistake. 

He actually played pretty well when he was able to rest.  He averaged 26 PPG last month of this season. 

If we struggle with him as a starter, bring him off the bench. Start Romeo and Smart as our guards, together with the J's and Rob.

Whatever issues Kemba had were with Danny Ainge, not with Brad.  Let the new coach figure out how to get the most out of Kemba. But don't trade him, especially if it means giving up assets (Romeo or Nesmith) to get rid of him.  I like those guys, they are young and going to get a lot better.

I'd rather trade Pritchard, because I think he has good trade value right now. And if we have Kemba come off the bench, it does not make sense having Pritchard also come off the bench. And he is not starter worthy.

I get your point that we don't have to pay him to unload his contract. He can still be valuable and the 6th men role and may leave next year or before good 2023 FA market. I don't think Pritchard is a real asset now but for the camp of stability, it is a good argument that we have better chance to give value to Nesmith, Langfrod or Pritchard before trade deadline or next summer. To make a larger deal with multiple picks. Maybe keeping them for our depth.  But then there will be the question with Smart and Timelord coming.
Then, personaly I think we have to make some real moves this offseason. First because as a new GM and with the Ainge late difficulties, Stevens has to take decisions soon. C's environment wait for that. We were frustrated with imobility and strange choices lately.  Also, because I think the team need changes, mentallty and to take a more solid core of players.
Maybe everything would be on the Knicks decision, as they could take him for almost nothing; after I guess we could quiet easily, with 2 seconds maybe, dump Thompson contract and take 3 good role players with cap/MLE/TPE

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 05:02:48 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
It would be a mistake. 

He doesn't have negative trade value. That's just the perception because some fans needed a scapegoat, and he was the easiest target.

He's overpaid, but it's only for 2 more years, and he's still a good player. If the knee is solid, he can contribute to a good team, overpaid or not. The league is full of overpaid players.

I'd prefer that he contribute here, but it sounds like in the press that both sides want out. Of course the press exaggerates everything, so who knows.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 05:03:23 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
No problem with Kemba off the bench except Kemba won't want to come off the bench even though he missed 39 games last year.

I guess Ainge was the scapegoat this year....maybe Kemba was scapegoat 2.0 and that explains the trade talk.

I would suggest that this coming year at the deadline he gets traded regardless as he won't be re signed the following year anyways.

Kemba off the bench would be extraordinary as opponent's benchers try to contain him.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 07:39:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
No problem with Kemba off the bench except Kemba won't want to come off the bench even though he missed 39 games last year.

I guess Ainge was the scapegoat this year....maybe Kemba was scapegoat 2.0 and that explains the trade talk.

I would suggest that this coming year at the deadline he gets traded regardless as he won't be re signed the following year anyways.

Kemba off the bench would be extraordinary as opponent's benchers try to contain him.
There is zero need to bring him off the bench. A good coach can manipulate his rotations such that Kemba plays with a lot of bench guys and also not play in end of game situations.

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 07:48:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It depends on what the return is.  I’d move him for Horford, for instance, and let Marcus play PG.

Horford
Tatum
Brown
Fournier
Smart

That’s a strong lineup, and it would also offer some payroll relief.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 08:08:21 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Unless it is for smaller pieces that can be repackaged later or into cap space with nothing coming back, I rather they keep him as well.

Yeah, I'd be okay with filling the bench with some 3 or four bench guys, with movable contracts, and getting rid of some of out dead weight.

Even for a decent pass first PG and a bench guy would be okay too. Rather cut ties now and start new with a Steven in the front office and a new coach.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 08:11:32 PM »

Kiorrik

Am curious. If he ends up a consistent 26ppg scorer.

Do we want that?

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 08:22:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

He didn't miss 39 games, he missed 29 games because it was a shortened season.

I don't think you bring Kemba off the bench either. He is easily the team's 3rd best player and he is finally going to have an offseason to rest for the first time since 2018. I agree with the OP - no need to trade him unless it is for a clear upgrade. Kemba is still a really good player - no need to dump him, or assets along with him, just to get him off the team.

And with Kemba's cousin immediately denying the Bleacher Report article, I am inclined to believe it was fabricated.

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 08:22:44 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Do we want that?

No. We don't.

In Kemba's best year, he averaged 25.6 points per game. He shot .434/.356

We already have much more efficient scorers in Tatum and Brown. I don't see how having a 3rd scorer shooting that much gives anyone else any room to develop at all.

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 08:27:20 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I agree that as a pure roster more it makes sense to just keep Kemba but his contract is likely going to necessitate him being traded. The Cs are not going to want to be deep into the luxury tax to run back last seasons roster.

I predict the Cs either end up with a Kemba and multiple 2nds for Horford or Kemba + protected 1st for Knox if Knicks can’t land a FA
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 08:38:05 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
It depends on what the return is.  I’d move him for Horford, for instance, and let Marcus play PG.

Horford
Tatum
Brown
Fournier
Smart

TT is better than 2021 Hoford
Having said that; it is time to move Kemba.  Keeping Kemba won’t be pretty and trading won’t be pretty either.

We’ll just have to bite the bullet and hope for the best. 

Just trade him.  It is a losing situation either way.  Rip that bandage!!

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 09:32:31 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Horford
Tatum
Brown
Fournier
Smart

I wouldn't mind a Horford return. I would prefer a Kemba for Kevin Love trade however.

RWill3
Love
Tatum
Brown
Smart

With Fournier as the 6th man.

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 09:38:55 PM »

Kiorrik

Do we want that?

No. We don't.

In Kemba's best year, he averaged 25.6 points per game. He shot .434/.356

We already have much more efficient scorers in Tatum and Brown. I don't see how having a 3rd scorer shooting that much gives anyone else any room to develop at all.

By that logic we should fire everyone except the top 5 field goal percentage.

I feel like we operate on the logic too often that if a player shoots a shot, it's a shot that's taken away from another player.

That's not how basketball works.

Someone getting 26 points doesn't mean someone else gets that many shots fewer.

There is a correlation, but it's not direct. And there's further implications.

If you have someone that's a threat, it means that if another player isn't playing well, or being defended well, you have another option.

It also means that defences have to be honest. They HAVE to guard that 26ppg player too. Means the other players are more open.

In my opinion; keep Kemba. If that wasn't obvious yet ;)