Author Topic: Sources: Cs/Kemba want a breakup (other sources contradict)  (Read 24917 times)

Re: Sources: Cs/Kemba want a breakup (other sources contradict)
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2021, 07:08:39 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
If they don't trade him this summer they will trade him next season at the deadline....what else would they do? Give him an extension?

Management isn't in win now mode anyways, thus they can keep him for this season, but I don't agree he'll be playing in Boston on his final contract year. (is it a player option or team?)

« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2021, 07:53:51 PM »

Offline BoulderMike

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
I think this article has lots of foreshadowing of what is REALLY going on.

Kemba is going to be bought out as a "mutual parting of the ways."  He will agree to at $50 M buyout (versus $73 M) in early July because he think he can sign a 2 year $25 M contract with a destination of this choice.  I think he is probably a mid-level FA (~$9.3 M), but it only takes one team to prove me wrong.

This will allow Celtics to stretch his contract over 5 years for $10 M per year. This delivers a $25 M (!) cap savings next year, allowing Celts to resign Evan F. (4 years for $60 M) and still sign a mid-level FA (or use the remining Trade Exception).  Even with these moves, the Celts stay below the luxury tax.

We are sorry it didn't work out for Kemba and we love his energy.  We just can't pay a $10-$15 M player a contract at $35 M per. 

If you re-read all of the Kemba-related reporting, this scenario fits perfectly with what is being reporting.  And, nothing that is being reported contradicts this outcome.

I am fairly certain this is what is going to happen.

« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2021, 08:06:04 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379

Kemba is going to be bought out as a "mutual parting of the ways."  He will agree to at $50 M buyout (versus $73 M) in early July because he think he can sign a 2 year $25 M contract with a destination of this choice.  I think he is probably a mid-level FA (~$9.3 M), but it only takes one team to prove me wrong.

This will allow Celtics to stretch his contract over 5 years for $10 M per year. This delivers a $25 M (!) cap savings next year, allowing Celts to resign Evan F. (4 years for $60 M) and still sign a mid-level FA (or use the remining Trade Exception).  Even with these moves, the Celts stay below the luxury tax.

We are sorry it didn't work out for Kemba and we love his energy.  We just can't pay a $10-$15 M player a contract at $35 M per. 

If you re-read all of the Kemba-related reporting, this scenario fits perfectly with what is being reporting.  And, nothing that is being reported contradicts this outcome.

Let's hope this happens.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2021, 08:13:45 PM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Let's hope this happens.

I'd\rather a trade, even if it costs apick or a less worse contract back.  H is not useless by any means, just over paid.

« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2021, 09:19:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

What on earth are you talking about? Was this in an article? If Kemba really wants out and he knows he can secure a 2yr/$50M contract, then the Cs should only offer a buy-out of $23M. He would still make his scheduled $73M over the next two seasons, while being able to choose the team of his choice. In no scenario should the Cs pay $50M not to play for them. He is much more valuable as a $73M player than a $50M debt...especially for our supposed to be contending team.

« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2021, 11:22:01 PM »

Offline BoulderMike

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
i meant 2 years for a total of $25 M (not $50 M).  Sorry for not being more clear.

Mark my post, buyout coming by early July.

« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2021, 11:32:16 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
i meant 2 years for a total of $25 M (not $50 M).  Sorry for not being more clear.

Mark my post, buyout coming by early July.

The Celtics are not going to keep $10m in dead cap money for five straight years just to be able to pay Evan Fournier.

Once more, with feeling: Kemba started the all-star game a year and a half ago and averaged 19ppg last year on one knee. There is no sense of desperation to dump this player. Even if he’s toast, it would be preferable simply to keep him one more season and then he’s an expiring contract one year from now and much easier to move.

« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2021, 12:54:06 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
I favor a Kemba trade since I witnessed him being targeted by the Raptors and Heat in the 2020 playoffs (I suggested a trade for then-UFA CP3 or Lowry). I understand why we kept him as far as the loyalty/goodwill aspect and here we are.

That said, the trade ideas and especially the suggestion that he’s a buyout candidate are ridiculous. I rather keep him than accept some of the offers being suggested; Kemba only has 2 years remaining on his contract, is still an elite scorer, and is still a productive player.

I think Kemba’s value is still around a trade for: Markannen/Young or Aminu, Lowry/Baynes or Hood, Ball/Bledsoe, a 3-teamer for John Collins might still be on the table. In each case, we’re trading for a player that might be having extension disagreements with their incumbent teams. I’d add 1 1st (possibly 2 for Collins) to a couple of these deals, if a deal requires more, simply move on.

« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2021, 02:30:03 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I favor a Kemba trade since I witnessed him being targeted by the Raptors and Heat in the 2020 playoffs (I suggested a trade for then-UFA CP3 or Lowry). I understand why we kept him as far as the loyalty/goodwill aspect and here we are.

That said, the trade ideas and especially the suggestion that he’s a buyout candidate are ridiculous. I rather keep him than accept some of the offers being suggested; Kemba only has 2 years remaining on his contract, is still an elite scorer, and is still a productive player.

I think Kemba’s value is still around a trade for: Markannen/Young or Aminu, Lowry/Baynes or Hood, Ball/Bledsoe, a 3-teamer for John Collins might still be on the table. In each case, we’re trading for a player that might be having extension disagreements with their incumbent teams. I’d add 1 1st (possibly 2 for Collins) to a couple of these deals, if a deal requires more, simply move on.

The Markkanen/Young package looks appealing, specially if the new coach can transform Lauri into a decent defender. I read though that Billy Donovan still considers Lauri as part of Chicago’s future.

« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2021, 08:32:22 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

What matters here is how he fits with the other players and whether we can win with him.  We haven't got enough passing and decision making talent in the starting five, and he is terrible playing with Smart. He's better with Fournier, but I'm afraid that signing him means some other players must go and we are doomed to second tier status.

It means nothing that he can score 20 ppg if he can't be part of a winning rotation. Is there any path to keeping him and winning? Maybe if we could get a really great passer to play power forward, like Sabonis or Draymond Green, but how is that supposed to happen?

It does not matter whether he can produce. It matters whether we can win with him, and the answer is no.

« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2021, 08:47:52 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Kemba is a good player.  He won't be bought out.  That said I have begun to view Kemba as a floor raiser versus a ceiling raiser.  He can take a 30 win team to 40 wins but can't take a 40 win team to 50.

I look at the teams that were competing for play in spots as natural trade partners because he could raise their win floors and  get them into the playoffs.  That said the C's team this year was snake bitten with injuries, magnifying Kemba's load management.  I actually expect the C's to keep Kemba at least until the trade deadline and see if he can be a 3rd option to the Js or if he has to be the 1st or 2nd to be effective.

« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2021, 01:48:31 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140

The Markkanen/Young package looks appealing, specially if the new coach can transform Lauri into a decent defender. I read though that Billy Donovan still considers Lauri as part of Chicago’s future.

Teams' roster construction give us an indication on what they're prioritizing. The Bulls traded for Vucevic and Theis, started Theis over him, split his minutes with Theis and Young, and drafted Patrick Williams in 2020 (a 3/4). Despite the comments, they're not looking forward to extending him at the price he might demand this offseason as a RFA and his camp probably isn't thrilled about the dwindling minutes available for their 24 year old Power Forward shooting 40% from 3 and 82% from FT.

With great coaching, the right defensive system, and probably repositioning him to a 5, he's a good target in a hypothetical trade scenario. Also, a solid landing spot for Kemba.

« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2021, 02:27:43 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think there are several potential trades for Kemba, but they involve either worse contracts or significantly lesser players.  That said I'd be open to any of the following

Walker/Thompson for Porzingis/Burke

Walker/Thompson for Zubac/Beverley/Morris

Using the Knicks as a 3-Team Trade - Several options
Walker to NY
Knox, 19 to 3rd Team

3rd Team other components of trade
Love/Sexton from Cleveland, also send Langford to Cavs
Wiggins/Min pick from GS, also send Smart/Thompson/16 to Warriors
McCollum from Portland, also send Smart/Langford to Blazers
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2021, 02:39:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think there are several potential trades for Kemba, but they involve either worse contracts or significantly lesser players.

If that is the case — and it probably is — why trade him at all?  We don’t need worse contracts or significantly lesser players.

Imagine the following statements:

I think there are several potential trades for Tatum but they involve either worse contracts or significantly lesser players.

I think there are several potential trades for Jaylen, but they involve either worse contracts or significantly lesser players.

Do those sentences make sense from a team management perspective?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2021, 03:16:06 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I think there are several potential trades for Kemba, but they involve either worse contracts or significantly lesser players.

If that is the case — and it probably is — why trade him at all?  We don’t need worse contracts or significantly lesser players.

Imagine the following statements:

I think there are several potential trades for Tatum but they involve either worse contracts or significantly lesser players.

I think there are several potential trades for Jaylen, but they involve either worse contracts or significantly lesser players.

Do those sentences make sense from a team management perspective?

I don’t think any of the following are lesser players or have  significantly worse contracts: Porzingis, Wall, Horford, Love. I’d rather roll the dice on one of them at this point. Maybe they would be a better fit for the team than Kemba is.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.