Author Topic: Sources: Cs/Kemba want a breakup (other sources contradict)  (Read 24967 times)

Re: Sources: Cs/Kemba want a breakup (other sources contradict)
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2021, 08:58:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I think there are several potential trades for Kemba, but they involve either worse contracts or significantly lesser players.

If that is the case — and it probably is — why trade him at all?  We don’t need worse contracts or significantly lesser players.

Imagine the following statements:

I think there are several potential trades for Tatum but they involve either worse contracts or significantly lesser players.

I think there are several potential trades for Jaylen, but they involve either worse contracts or significantly lesser players.

Do those sentences make sense from a team management perspective?
a worse contract for a better player isn't a bad thing, like Porzingis.  Or Tobias Harris. 

As for Tatum and Brown they are in no where near the same position as Kemba.  Kemba is on the wrong side of 30 and will likely never be healthy again.  His contract is also the main reason Boston is going to be in the luxury tax and he provides no where near enough value to make that worthwhile, which is why trading him for lesser players that make less than him might also make sense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2021, 09:10:39 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
I favor a Kemba trade since I witnessed him being targeted by the Raptors and Heat in the 2020 playoffs.

Let's stop and think of why Kemba was targeted by teams playing a box and one Zone. They knew that if they shut Kemba down, the team would collapse. And they were right. How many 0 for 20 first halves did Tatum have? Why didn't Danny trade everyone BUT Kemba after the Heat loss?
Kemba is not the problem with this team and neither is his contract. The medical team has you-know-what the pooch so much since IT, I think they work for the Lakers. And I'm including the hairbrained treatment of Kemba and Timelord. They prioritized load management over building momentum and team chemistry. No wonder we had neither at the end. And all that protecting of Kemba and Rob meant that they weren't ready for playoff contact and succumbed to injuries.

Kemba being targeted implied the Raptors and Heat targeted him on defense. They had his assignment constantly set picks to force him to guard the ball handler during crucial moments. They looked at him like BBQ chicken and shot ridiculously well against him, regardless of how well he did to contest. Having to send help and recover exhausted the rest of the closers to the point no lead was safe.

As seen during this past season, the team devolves into isolation when the initial actions don’t give a clear opening. Kemba’s lack of offense in those situations just compounded the problem.

Of course, Brad didn’t make the adjustments to prevent the situations and he did at different moments, but having to change a system on the fly and put his teammates in negative positions to hide Kemba’s weak defense gets old and he has to win his matchup.

I’m willing to keep him because under a different coach and system, things can change for the better with his caliber of player, but I would move him with the right deal and if has to be recognized that he will have to answer those questions again.

« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2021, 10:40:32 AM »

Online Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171
I favor a Kemba trade since I witnessed him being targeted by the Raptors and Heat in the 2020 playoffs.

Let's stop and think of why Kemba was targeted by teams playing a box and one Zone. They knew that if they shut Kemba down, the team would collapse. And they were right. How many 0 for 20 first halves did Tatum have? Why didn't Danny trade everyone BUT Kemba after the Heat loss?
Kemba is not the problem with this team and neither is his contract. The medical team has you-know-what the pooch so much since IT, I think they work for the Lakers. And I'm including the hairbrained treatment of Kemba and Timelord. They prioritized load management over building momentum and team chemistry. No wonder we had neither at the end. And all that protecting of Kemba and Rob meant that they weren't ready for playoff contact and succumbed to injuries.

Kemba being targeted implied the Raptors and Heat targeted him on defense. They had his assignment constantly set picks to force him to guard the ball handler during crucial moments. They looked at him like BBQ chicken and shot ridiculously well against him, regardless of how well he did to contest. Having to send help and recover exhausted the rest of the closers to the point no lead was safe.

As seen during this past season, the team devolves into isolation when the initial actions don’t give a clear opening. Kemba’s lack of offense in those situations just compounded the problem.

Of course, Brad didn’t make the adjustments to prevent the situations and he did at different moments, but having to change a system on the fly and put his teammates in negative positions to hide Kemba’s weak defense gets old and he has to win his matchup.

I’m willing to keep him because under a different coach and system, things can change for the better with his caliber of player, but I would move him with the right deal and if has to be recognized that he will have to answer those questions again.

You're right, I should have caught that you meant targeted by the offense, like IT was, Kyrie was, and Rozier was. But I still think it needs to be asked, why did the Heat and Raptors single out Kemba with their defense? Maybe there's something we're overlooking about our team's flaws.
I hate the thought of Marcus as the full time PG, but I also wanted to see Brad's vision of a completely switchable team. And Kemba has to go if that's the plan. I'm torn, lol.

« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2021, 02:50:17 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140

You're right, I should have caught that you meant targeted by the offense, like IT was, Kyrie was, and Rozier was. But I still think it needs to be asked, why did the Heat and Raptors single out Kemba with their defense? Maybe there's something we're overlooking about our team's flaws.
I hate the thought of Marcus as the full time PG, but I also wanted to see Brad's vision of a completely switchable team. And Kemba has to go if that's the plan. I'm torn, lol.
I was intrigued by the idea of moving Marcus because of his above average ball-handling and passing ability. Until I realized that the most important areas for a point guard is his control of the game and decision making, 2 areas where Marcus is subpar (relative to the upper echelon of point guards).

I proposed CP3 or Lowry as trade targets for Kemba after the 2020 playoffs to have a completely switchable team. CP3 would’ve done the same for us as he did for the Suns. Without him and assuming Lowry’s not an option, running our offense through Horford would be great (the elite version of the 2018 team).

If we keep Kemba, I am hopeful that the next coach moves away from a few of Stevens core principles that didn’t optimize the talent on our past rosters.

« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2021, 03:22:36 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Its not that complicated. The C's lack good decision makers. Tatum and Brown are tougher to run a box and one on. They can go over the top of almost anyone, and their defender has to be a bigger guy. Its just better to run a box and one when your quickest, smallest guy is covering someone, and your bigger guys are in zone.

Kemba was the easiest to mess with, and our team lacked the skill to take advantage. It doesn't mean that Kemba was more feared than anyone else.

« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2021, 04:03:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Its not that complicated. The C's lack good decision makers. Tatum and Brown are tougher to run a box and one on. They can go over the top of almost anyone, and their defender has to be a bigger guy. Its just better to run a box and one when your quickest, smallest guy is covering someone, and your bigger guys are in zone.

Kemba was the easiest to mess with, and our team lacked the skill to take advantage. It doesn't mean that Kemba was more feared than anyone else.

If a team runs a box-and-1 on a player and the other players on your team aren't able to take advantage of it, that's on the other players. The goal was literally to take Kemba out of the game; you don't do that to the 3rd most potent weapon on a team.

« Reply #141 on: June 12, 2021, 04:50:58 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

If a team runs a box-and-1 on a player and the other players on your team aren't able to take advantage of it, that's on the other players. The goal was literally to take Kemba out of the game; you don't do that to the 3rd most potent weapon on a team.

I'm confused. Are you really arguing that Kemba was a more potent weapon than Tatum or Brown at that time?

« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2021, 05:14:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I'm confused. Are you really arguing that Kemba was a more potent weapon than Tatum or Brown at that time?

No, but you made it seem like the Raptors only did a box-and-1 on Kemba because he was the easiest one to run that defense against. That is like saying the 90s era Pacers should have run a box-and-1 on Ron Harper - while laying off Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen - because he was easier to contain.

If the Raptors weren't truly concerned about Kemba, they wouldn't have focused their defense on him. It was up to the other players on the team to take advantage, and, to their credit, they did (at least against the Raptors). Kemba's impact was greater than his stats showed, simply because he took pressure off of Tatum and Brown.

« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2021, 06:35:56 PM »

Offline BoulderMike

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
If the Kemba for Aldridge rumor is true (and there is no reason to believe it isn't), then the Spurs could have had Kemba and his salary for essentially nothing (since they bought out Aldridge at this full salary anyway) and they still said no.  Pops has great respect for Kemba .... and he still said no.

That says a lot about Kemba's value.

« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2021, 06:46:53 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
If the Kemba for Aldridge rumor is true (and there is no reason to believe it isn't), then the Spurs could have had Kemba and his salary for essentially nothing (since they bought out Aldridge at this full salary anyway) and they still said no.  Pops has great respect for Kemba .... and he still said no.

There's a lot of reason to believe that trade wasn't true, but the main one is the fact that 2 of the 3 best Spurs players play the same position as Kemba.

« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2021, 07:12:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

There's a lot of reason to believe that trade wasn't true, but the main one is the fact that 2 of the 3 best Spurs players play the same position as Kemba.
Lol
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2021, 09:40:28 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Lol

That at me? White and Murray are really good young point guards. I've been eyeing White for a while as a solid guy next to the Js.

« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2021, 02:34:32 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

That would assume that the trade was straight-up Kemba for Aldridge, and that's NEVER the case with these things. Other players were certainly involved, potentially a pick or picks as well.

Also, Aldridge would have to pass a physical and considering that he retired not that long after there would've been a chance that he would've failed.

Kinda reminds me a bit when Jeff Green needed a surgery and we got another 1st round pick from OKC. In that case because OKC failed to disclose health issues, not sure how open the Spurs would've been.

« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2021, 06:21:55 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Lol

That at me? White and Murray are really good young point guards. I've been eyeing White for a while as a solid guy next to the Js.
No, sorry, that was unclear. I was laughing in agreement with you. Even a cursory glance at San Antonio's roster would make one understand why they wouldn't want Kemba. 2 long-term rostered PGs and DeRozan, a point forward.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2021, 07:23:23 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He has reached the IT point in his life.  His offense is no longer great enough to justify his limited defense .   Send him to Lakers , the Bron has to play harder on defense ….yeah we know that will happen.