Author Topic: Two trades and we are there...  (Read 5540 times)

Re: Two trades and we are there...
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 12:00:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Any team starting Bertans as PF is destined for failure.

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 02:09:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Thinking more about the Porzingis trade idea.

Kemba for Zinger doesn't cut it.

What about Kemba and Rob Williams? I love Rob, but would have to consider this.

Would Dallas?

Personally, I think that Porzingis is still recovering from injury, but once he can focus on getting back to game shape, he could really flourish again.  He is a unicorn, and we should seriously consider getting him, especially if we can extract Kemba's contract in the process.

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2021, 02:57:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Would Dallas?

Personally, I think that Porzingis is still recovering from injury, but once he can focus on getting back to game shape, he could really flourish again.  He is a unicorn, and we should seriously consider getting him, especially if we can extract Kemba's contract in the process.
no to including Timelord.  Kemba alone is sufficient talent-wise and can honestly be seen as an overpay.  Zinger hasn't produced well in a while however Kemba has (just not often enough).  Kemba also has one less year on his deal thus allowing Dallas to get out from under a large contract a year sooner.

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2021, 03:18:48 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Not at all for the Beal trade, but for Zinger it would make me hesitate. We can't just say "baddest contract than walker, even much injury prone and maybe more in the decline", because there is also some positiv hopes about this trade idea.
I think it will be difficult to find a team for them, even more than for Kemba I think, so it may be the time to buy him very very low, even with negative value a former 25 YO All star 7.3 big .Something we expect since Horford is gone.  His one year more in his deal than Kemba is a penality, but we may be able to unload his last year with pick(s) if we want to hit the 2023 FA. We want since long a stretch 4, we always had a thought about him in green. Maybe also he will find again his basket in the East, in our systems. He is still a young player with talent who come back from an hard injury.
 Of course his liability in defense is a big problem and more the fact to have two bigs injury prone could be a big liability. If we continue on the switch everything he isn't ideal esp if we play him at 4. And at 5 many matcups are impossible.  So finally I wouldn't do it unless his value is so negative, and Mavs really want Kemba to dump him. Something like Kemba/Thompson/Edwards (maybe with our first) against Porzingis + Brunson, with still some TPE or MLE to sign a solid 3rd big as Ibaka or Theis + Tucker and resign Fournier. This team could potentially rivalise with Bucks and Philly next year; if Porzingis is healthy and progressing a little.

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2021, 03:22:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Would Dallas?

no to including Timelord.  Kemba alone is sufficient talent-wise and can honestly be seen as an overpay.  Zinger hasn't produced well in a while however Kemba has (just not often enough).  Kemba also has one less year on his deal thus allowing Dallas to get out from under a large contract a year sooner.

I realize your perspective, but I don't think it is the market perspective.  Kemba's contract is a deep negative contract by most accounts. I don't think that is the case with Porzingis. He has disappointed, but part of the problem is the ball dominance of Luka; he feels pretty left out.  As much as we complain sometimes about JT usage rate, he is not nearly as ball dominant as Luka. I think once Porzingis gets really healthy, he can return to his Knicks form, where he was absolutely awesome.

But hey, if we can do it without giving up Rob, whom I love, then sure.

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2021, 03:36:55 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
NO to any deal involving KP....dude is a huge zero
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2021, 05:21:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Where would that be exactly? Porzingis and Bertans would be the most woefully weak starting front-court in the NBA. Perhaps ever
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2021, 05:22:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Would Dallas?

I realize your perspective, but I don't think it is the market perspective.  Kemba's contract is a deep negative contract by most accounts. I don't think that is the case with Porzingis. He has disappointed, but part of the problem is the ball dominance of Luka; he feels pretty left out.  As much as we complain sometimes about JT usage rate, he is not nearly as ball dominant as Luka. I think once Porzingis gets really healthy, he can return to his Knicks form, where he was absolutely awesome.

What do you mean 'gets really healthy'? That isn't a possibility for him anymore, he is just too frail.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2021, 06:27:46 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Porzingis might be a worse contract than Walker. I don't think that's exaggerating.

Porzingis has just as many health questions, but his ego is worse and he clearly has an inflated view of what his role should be.

He's never been a good number one option, and you cannot count on him to get good looks in crunch time, but for some reason I have to force feed you the ball so you can brick turn-around jump shots over guys a foot shorter than you? No thanks.

Anyone watching the Mavs-Clippers should realize what happened. The Clippers went small with Zubac on the bench, and Porzingis could not stay in front of anyone. Carlisle could either go small and hope they could do small ball better, but put his "second best player" on the bench, or he could go big and try a 2-3 zone. He went big, but Zinger could never take advantage of matchups with Morris, Leonard, George, Mann, or any other small ball defender they threw at him.

Zinger's lateral speed is horrendous. It's one of the worst in the NBA after his injuries. He also doesn't rebound in traffic when you need a board, regardless of what his rpg numbers are.

Zinger is not that guy anymore.

Walker will be traded this off-season to a contender looking for another scorer/shot creator. The Clippers are undoubtedly hovering with an offer of Pat Beverly and Luke Kennard, neither of whom could be rotation guys so far this playoffs. They need another guy to score, because Reggie Jackson isn't working.

I think a three team trade that sent those two guys to the Blazers with 3 of our young prospects and 3 draft picks, Walker to the Clippers, and Lillard to the Celtics makes a lot of sense for all teams (if the Blazers are considering a rebuild).

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2021, 08:44:22 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Porzingis might be a worse contract than Walker. I don't think that's exaggerating.

Porzingis has just as many health questions, but his ego is worse and he clearly has an inflated view of what his role should be.

He's never been a good number one option, and you cannot count on him to get good looks in crunch time, but for some reason I have to force feed you the ball so you can brick turn-around jump shots over guys a foot shorter than you? No thanks.

Anyone watching the Mavs-Clippers should realize what happened. The Clippers went small with Zubac on the bench, and Porzingis could not stay in front of anyone. Carlisle could either go small and hope they could do small ball better, but put his "second best player" on the bench, or he could go big and try a 2-3 zone. He went big, but Zinger could never take advantage of matchups with Morris, Leonard, George, Mann, or any other small ball defender they threw at him.

Zinger's lateral speed is horrendous. It's one of the worst in the NBA after his injuries. He also doesn't rebound in traffic when you need a board, regardless of what his rpg numbers are.

Walker will be traded this off-season to a contender looking for another scorer/shot creator. The Clippers are undoubtedly hovering with an offer of Pat Beverly and Luke Kennard, neither of whom could be rotation guys so far this playoffs. They need another guy to score, because Reggie Jackson isn't working.

I think a three team trade that sent those two guys to the Blazers with 3 of our young prospects and 3 draft picks, Walker to the Clippers, and Lillard to the Celtics makes a lot of sense for all teams (if the Blazers are considering a rebuild).
in a thread that says Porzingis has a bad contract this gets posted'?

lillard is on the wrong side of 30. he has lots and lots of mileage as a player.

and his contract? it is a gobsmacking, mind blowing, poleaxing, death dealing contract with FOUR YEARS left and incredible escaltion. see below.

2020-21   2021-22   2022-23   2023-24   2024-25
$31,626,953   $43,750,000   $47,250,000   $50,750,000   $54,250,000  :o
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2021, 08:57:36 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
We're not dealing for Lillard or KP....Beal perhaps, to keep Tatum happy.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2021, 09:19:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Would Dallas?

What do you mean 'gets really healthy'? That isn't a possibility for him anymore, he is just too frail.
I agree, health is a bigger question mark for Zinger than Kemba right now so that cuts his value a bit.  add in the complaints of how he's used in Dallas and how he'd fit with Tatum and Brown being ahead of him the pecking order may not sit well either. 

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2021, 09:48:58 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

in a thread that says Porzingis has a bad contract this gets posted'?

lillard is on the wrong side of 30. he has lots and lots of mileage as a player.

and his contract? it is a gobsmacking, mind blowing, poleaxing, death dealing contract with FOUR YEARS left and incredible escaltion. see below.

2020-21   2021-22   2022-23   2023-24   2024-25
$31,626,953   $43,750,000   $47,250,000   $50,750,000   $54,250,000  :o

It's a crazy big contract, no doubt, but not a bad one. Lillard will continue to be a top level player in the NBA for at least the next 3-4 years. His offensive impact is undeniable, and he would immediately be playing with the best and second best player he has played with in his career. He is a hard worker that fits the Celtics culture well, and would open the court considerably for Tatum and Brown.

The Celtics would need to embrace contention and the luxury tax.

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2021, 12:00:02 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Forget the Brown/Beal deal in my opinion.

KP is about as good a deal as you're going to get for Walker. Otherwise, you're probably looking at guys like Love or Horford.

KP is only 25 compared to Walker at 31.

KP has possible upside while Kemba has none.

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2021, 01:23:54 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Porzingis ain't the center to anchor a title team.

Also, enough with banging our head against the wall with these shoot-first, high-usage point guards. They don't fit.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce