Author Topic: Giannis a long shot?  (Read 2884 times)

Re: Giannis a long shot?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 12:26:38 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Giannis needs the right team around him which maybe means he's the "two" behind a bigger superstar if there is such a thing.

Can Giannis "take over a game"? Sure he can, but, where is he among the top 10 or 15 players in the league in his ability to carry his team?

Stats don't win titles and I guess Giannis might be an example.

Giannis + Tatum = great frontcourt, but you just traded all of the best defensive players we have.

The Nets are playing good defense because they are all getting along and it is "new" and they are all buying in and every one of those freaking guys except Harris, are professional quitters....every one.

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 12:51:17 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
I agree with the statement that the Bucks should try a new coach before they move on from Giannis.  Or even Middleton, for that matter. 

From the outside looking in, I think the Bucks are in a similar position to the Sixers last year, in the sense that they're carried by a single dominant star with a mediocre #2 and a coach who does little to make his main guy's life easier.  The '21 Bucks are better than the '20 Sixers but I feel that the comparison still holds. 

There are so many ways to use a guy with Giannis' body and skillset beyond just "take the ball at the top of the key or in the high post and drive through a wall of bodies." 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 12:56:36 PM by Atzar »

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2021, 01:47:58 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Giannis needs the right team around him which maybe means he's the "two" behind a bigger superstar if there is such a thing.

Can Giannis "take over a game"? Sure he can, but, where is he among the top 10 or 15 players in the league in his ability to carry his team?

Giannis + Tatum = great frontcourt, but you just traded all of the best defensive players we have.

The Nets are playing good defense because they are all getting along and it is "new" and they are all buying in and every one of those freaking guys except Harris, are professional quitters....every one.

Yeah, I see Giannis as like a prime Pippen. He's a top tier player in the league who can take over a game, but he's not the guy who can lead you to multiple titles without another superstar who can take over in the clutch next to him.

If Pippen had been the main guy on another team earlier in his career, I could have seen him ending up similar to where Giannis is now.

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2021, 03:46:22 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah, I see Giannis as like a prime Pippen. He's a top tier player in the league who can take over a game, but he's not the guy who can lead you to multiple titles without another superstar who can take over in the clutch next to him.

If Pippen had been the main guy on another team earlier in his career, I could have seen him ending up similar to where Giannis is now.
Giannis would be fine as a lead dog, he just needs a much better #2 (or at least a far more consistent one) than Middleton.  That has been the Bucks problem the last few seasons.  I thought Holiday would help them out a lot this year, but so far against Brooklyn he hasn't mattered at all.  A top 5 guy is fantastic to have, but if the next best player isn't even in the top 25, it is still very difficult to win at a high level, especially playing other teams that have top 5 guys.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2021, 03:49:14 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Again I'm sure this probably won't happen, but it's not COMPLETELY out of the realm of possibility, right?

Yes, yes it is.

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2021, 05:17:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
There are many more paths the Bucks can take before they get to trading Giannis. Especially with his contract length.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)