Author Topic: 2021 Celtics draft workouts  (Read 25817 times)

Re: 2021 Celtics draft workouts
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2021, 03:23:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
added Trey Murphy

If the Cs still had the #16 he would be one of my guys at that pick. Now I will be watching the draft hoping for a trade up if he falls past 25. Wings with his size, length and perimeter shooting are so important in today's game.

Agree. Would be a steal end of first round.  Love his length and 3 point shooting, plus his ability to defend. Could see him as a long term answer at the 3/4, especially if he added a few pounds.

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2021, 06:38:32 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
added Trey Murphy

If the Cs still had the #16 he would be one of my guys at that pick. Now I will be watching the draft hoping for a trade up if he falls past 25. Wings with his size, length and perimeter shooting are so important in today's game.

Agree. Would be a steal end of first round.  Love his length and 3 point shooting, plus his ability to defend. Could see him as a long term answer at the 3/4, especially if he added a few pounds.
I would agree that he would have been a good pick at 16 and is steal if he slides. He is a blend of Cameron Johnson and Jonathan Isaac. I could see that same draft jump that shocks people and destroys mocks. So no one here be fooled if he gets called early.

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2021, 11:42:12 AM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/24/nba-boston-celtics-scottie-barnes/

This is interesting. Are they planning to trade back into the first round?

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2021, 11:46:27 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/24/nba-boston-celtics-scottie-barnes/

This is interesting. Are they planning to trade back into the first round?

Celts are known to interview prospects out of their range. Perhaps grab their interest at a later point of their careers

Celts have no chance to draft Barnes unless they unload a big package for a top 6 pick

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2021, 10:05:45 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
added Yves Pons

He slipped through the cracks but there are multiple reports that he has worked out for the Cs.

I have talked about him on other treads but bottom line he is an elite athlete who despite his size should provide rim protection. With development he has the potential to be a very useful utility defender. His offence is very raw and he will need to develop his corner 3.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2021, 10:17:58 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
added Dejon Jarreau

I would be happy with Dejon Jarreau in the second round.  I love the way he plays and how team oriented his game is.  I thought he might have been the most heady/smart, tough, and genuinely unselfish PG that I saw in the tourney.  (more assists does not = more unselfish)  I could see Jarreau settling into a role somewhere between a Jevon Carter and Jalen Brunson.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2021, 10:19:31 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
The Celtics are hosting a noteworthy group of prospects for today’s pre-draft workout, per sources:

Sharife Cooper, Auburn
Jordan Hall, Texas A&M
Miles McBride, West Virginia
Kofi Cockburn, Illinois
Nah’Shon Hyland, VCU
Balsa Koprivica, Florida State

https://twitter.com/chrisgrenham/status/1405539267233730567?s=21

Cockburn is a beast, loved his game in NCAA, but has no place on our roster.  It would be interesting to see him in the NBA in spot minutes.  He also has absolutely terrible conditioning though.  For that reason, I don't think he could ever be a real rotation player in the NBA.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2021, 10:49:21 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Darren Wolfson of KSTP-TV in Minneapolis reported last week that Matthew Hurt had a workout scheduled with the Celtics.

Highlights
https://youtu.be/iaRN4xb4b7w

« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2021, 11:26:49 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Darren Wolfson of KSTP-TV in Minneapolis reported last week that Matthew Hurt had a workout scheduled with the Celtics.

Highlights

Hurt is my big draft projection issue for this year. He hits on 3 of my favorite nba predictors: Highly ranked out of HS (espn gave him a 96!), was a productive member of USA basketball in FIBA, and was a productive college player. Those three facts usually lock a playing into the teens of any draft. Except Hurt can’t isn’t a great athlete, doesn’t have + length, and came to the combine 234lbs with 15% body fat. Had he shown up in great shape I’d be more enthusiastic.

I still think he is a real option at #45. He has the talent to play in the NBA and at around 6’10 in shoes will likely be a bench 5 who stretches the floor. The hope would be for him to become a cerebral defender who compensates fit lack of physical abilities with skill and awareness. If on the court with Smart,Brown,Tatum,and Al/RWill it’s not a stretch to think that the coaching staff can cover his weaknesses if his offense is valuable enough to warrant the playing time.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 11:33:44 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2021, 11:45:48 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Highlights

Hurt is my big draft projection issue for this year. He hits on 3 of my favorite nba predictors: Highly ranked out of HS (espn gave him a 96!), was a productive member of USA basketball in FIBA, and was a productive college player. Those three facts usually lock a playing into the teens of any draft. Except Hurt can’t isn’t a great athlete, doesn’t have + length, and came to the combine 234lbs with 15% body fat. Had he shown up in great shape I’d be more enthusiastic.

I still think he is a real option at #45. He has the talent to play in the NBA and at around 6’10 in shoes will likely be a bench 5 who stretches the floor. The hope would be for him to become a cerebral defender who compensates fit lack of physical abilities with skill and awareness. If on the court with Smart,Brown,Tatum,and Al/RWill it’s not a stretch to think that the coaching staff can cover his weaknesses if his offense is valuable enough to warrant the playing time.

You have any comparisons?

What about like a Mike Muscala (low end)

And Kevin Love lite (ceiling)?

« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2021, 01:24:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Highlights

We need an athletic playmaking 4, not an unathletic stretch 5. 

« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2021, 02:49:36 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Highlights

I’d say his comp would be a Ryan Anderson type perimeter 4/5. Being realistic with the expectations for a player draft #45 a player like Hurt who likely hits his ceiling as an Anderson type player isn’t terrible. Like Grant he will have a role but will most likely always be out of a good playoff teams top 8 guys
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 09:36:01 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2021, 07:31:35 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Julian Champagnie is pulling out of the draft and returning to St Johns per Jon Rothstein.

He was one of my frequent mock draft Celtics fall back guys
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2021, 12:47:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

Highlights

I’d say his comp would be a Ryan Anderson type perimeter 4/5. Being realistic with the expectations for a player draft #45 a player like Hurt who likely hits his ceiling as an Anderson type player isn’t terrible. Like Grant he will have a role but will most likely always be out of a good playoff teams top 8 guys

He's one of those guys that will go off against us in the future but never do anything against other teams.   ;D

« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2021, 01:51:35 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Julian Champagnie is pulling out of the draft and returning to St Johns per Jon Rothstein.

He was one of my frequent mock draft Celtics fall back guys

He looked like a decent prospect for sure. The kind of player you should definitely take a flier on in the second round. Freshmen G/F 6’8” 220lbs, FG 43%, 3PT 38% FT 88%. Averaged, 20PTS, 7REB, 1AST, 1BLK. Had 3 games with 28+pts.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 09:48:50 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.