Poll

If Lillard is available.  Would you trade what it takes to obtain him?

yes
6 (33.3%)
no
12 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: If Lillard is available. Would you trade what it takes to obtain him?  (Read 5192 times)

Re: If Lillard is available. Would you trade what it takes to obtain him?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2021, 06:56:35 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Trading Brown for Dame doesn’t get us closer to being a contender. Only if you could trade for Dame without giving up either of the Jays does this truly move the needle. That said, that’s not happening.

However, where the Blazers are is where this team is looking like it’s headed for in the future: 2 allstar type players (dame/CJ), an impressive role player or 2 (melo/nurkic), a generally weak supporting cast, incredibly entertaining, always a tough out, never really a serious contender.

If we run it back, this is who we’ll be. C’s either need to find a gem or take a risk sooner or later.
Kemba and Smart are significantly better than Melo and post-injury Nurkic, and this team has more often than not progressed to the ECF, rather than getting bounced in the first round more often than not. I think that's a key difference.

Tatum and Brown are significantly less flawed than Lillard and McCollum too. Wings with above average positional size and length who play good defence are more suited to playoff basketball than small guards who are bad defenders. This is the other key difference IMO.

You mean during the time when we had Hayward and/or Horford?

The C’s had so much talent before, that’s undeniable. But between losing Horford for nothing, losing Hayward for nothing, losing Kyrie for nothing and essentially “trading” Rozier for current-day post-injury Kemba... we’ve been hemorrhaging talent.

Not saying those specific 3 guys would’ve been the answer today (or 3yrs from now) but my point is, having that level of talent wins. Underdogs rarely win in the NBA.
Which playoff series wins did Hayward contribute to? I’m not trying to say we’re not in a precarious situation, but I think it would take considerable mismanagement to end up like Portland

The do-nothing is Portland. Is Kemba still going to improve? Is Smart? They’re high level role players at this point. All this talk of run it back, keep the core, ship out Carsen Edwards and Semi for players of equal talent & impact, is headed towards Portland-tier. Maybe we could be better than them, to your point, or a tougher out, but there’s a leap that needs to be taken to go from perennial tough-playoff team vs one of the favorites to win a title.

People are discussing crazy possibilities like Dame or Beal, and that’s great. I’d love either player on the C’s. But we need to keep the Jays while landing those guys. If we can field Dame+Brown+Tatum, that’s a potential championship trio to me. If we give up Brown, then we’re likely incrementally better but aren’t likely one of the favorites (unless Tatum transforms into an MVP talent instead of an All-NBA talent).

The sad truth is, underdogs rarely win a championship in the NBA. They might win a series, but rarely 4 series in a row.

- LilRip

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2021, 08:29:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
People are discussing crazy possibilities like Dame or Beal, and that’s great. I’d love either player on the C’s. But we need to keep the Jays while landing those guys. If we can field Dame+Brown+Tatum, that’s a potential championship trio to me. If we give up Brown, then we’re likely incrementally better but aren’t likely one of the favorites (unless Tatum transforms into an MVP talent instead of an All-NBA talent).

Agreed.

It’s a challenging situation. I think that both of those guys could be available if Brad overpays.  I mean, Kemba + Smart + Nesmith + three #1s + pick swaps.  That’s an extremely strong offer if a guy demands a trade, right?

But, does a trade like that guarantee that we are contenders? It might, but I’d really like an answer up front.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2021, 08:42:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
    You do this trade if Lillard is available and Brown is the output.

Brown, Walker, Nesmith, and 2 first-round picks.

Make Portland throw another rotational piece in that package so they can come off the bench with the C's.

Lillard PG, pick up a cheap SG, Tatum/Parker at SF/PF, Williams C.

Championship contender.

We'd have a lot of work to do in order to become a championship contender with that line up above.

A few points on this thread:

• Tatum is better than Brown. Period. There's no discussion to be had. His trade value is also high. This by no means makes Brown a bad player. He is also an All-Star, but Tatum has the IT All NBA potential.
    • We don't have what it takes to get Dame and Dam probably won't be traded
    • Kemba Walker is going to be one of the most difficult pieces to trade in the NBA. I'd rather see us try and move Kemba and to a third team somewhere and get Kevin Love in return (because Cleveland won't want him). If we are going to have money on the books, Love is a better fit and fills a better need
    [/list]

Brian Robb suggested Walker for Porzingis. Porzingis has one year more than Walker left on his contract.

I'm sold
    Really? After what Porzingis just showed in the playoffs? He's worse than Kemba and more injury-prone!
    I'd probably do that.  And to be fair, Kemba's playoff series was miss 2 games and average 12.7/4/4 while shooting 17.6% from 3 and 31.7% overall.  In other words, not only was Porzingis better, he was healthier. 

Porzingis doesn't seem to be a good fit with Doncic and they play like they don't like each other.  Perhaps the change of scenery would do him good.

Walker, Thompson for Porzingis, Burke

Seems like a decent trade for both teams.
    2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
    Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
    Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2021, 09:39:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
    • Red Auerbach
    • Tommy Points: 10047
      You do this trade if Lillard is available and Brown is the output.

Brown, Walker, Nesmith, and 2 first-round picks.

Make Portland throw another rotational piece in that package so they can come off the bench with the C's.

Lillard PG, pick up a cheap SG, Tatum/Parker at SF/PF, Williams C.

Championship contender.

We'd have a lot of work to do in order to become a championship contender with that line up above.

A few points on this thread:

• Tatum is better than Brown. Period. There's no discussion to be had. His trade value is also high. This by no means makes Brown a bad player. He is also an All-Star, but Tatum has the IT All NBA potential.
      • We don't have what it takes to get Dame and Dam probably won't be traded
      • Kemba Walker is going to be one of the most difficult pieces to trade in the NBA. I'd rather see us try and move Kemba and to a third team somewhere and get Kevin Love in return (because Cleveland won't want him). If we are going to have money on the books, Love is a better fit and fills a better need
      [/list]

Brian Robb suggested Walker for Porzingis. Porzingis has one year more than Walker left on his contract.

I'm sold
      Really? After what Porzingis just showed in the playoffs? He's worse than Kemba and more injury-prone!
      I'd probably do that.  And to be fair, Kemba's playoff series was miss 2 games and average 12.7/4/4 while shooting 17.6% from 3 and 31.7% overall.  In other words, not only was Porzingis better, he was healthier. 

Porzingis doesn't seem to be a good fit with Doncic and they play like they don't like each other.  Perhaps the change of scenery would do him good.

Walker, Thompson for Porzingis, Burke

Seems like a decent trade for both teams.
      not a horrible deal for the C's but I'd be willing to bet that provided Kemba is healthy for most of the season for Dallas, playing with Luka will make Kemba look like an all-star again with Luka's ability to set up his teammates to succeed.  it's something that nags me at the back of my mind with Zinger's performance in Dallas -- playing with Luka has not made Zinger look like he did in NY

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2021, 11:38:17 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
      • Tommy Points: 766
      I don’t think there is any doubt that The Blazers are considering moving Dame with the news that Kidd has withdrawn from consideration. He isn’t coaching a rebuild, but he would have gone there if they were retooling.

I think Kidd was a decent NBA coach who has probably only gotten better since being an assistant. Is there a chance Boston gets Kidd and then trades for Lillard?

There has to at least be talks about it.

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2021, 11:44:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
      • Tommy Points: 1533
      I don’t think there is any doubt that The Blazers are considering moving Dame with the news that Kidd has withdrawn from consideration. He isn’t coaching a rebuild, but he would have gone there if they were retooling.

I think Kidd was a decent NBA coach who has probably only gotten better since being an assistant. Is there a chance Boston gets Kidd and then trades for Lillard?

There has to at least be talks about it.
      Kidd withdrew because he didn't want a cloud hanging over his head that he only got the job because Lillard wanted him.
      2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
      Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
      Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2021, 11:51:48 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
      • James Naismith
      • Tommy Points: 2756
      • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
      Yo...triboy ...give up the crack pipe  ;D

Not trading Tatterman

The Tatterman was a bad guy in a pathfinder campaign I played in once.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
      like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2021, 12:56:01 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
      • Tommy Points: 391

Agreed.

It’s a challenging situation. I think that both of those guys could be available if Brad overpays.  I mean, Kemba + Smart + Nesmith + three #1s + pick swaps.  That’s an extremely strong offer if a guy demands a trade, right?

But, does a trade like that guarantee that we are contenders? It might, but I’d really like an answer up front.

An extremely strong offer indeed. I think Tristan Thompson with Dame, JB and JT would be really good. And plus, if you assemble a championship core, the buyout ring chasers will come.

I think it’s still steep if we do Kemba+Smart+3 future 1sts with minimal protection (no swaps, keep Nesmith), but I’d do it to land Lillard.

Starters: Dame/Langford/JB/Tatum/TT
      Bench: Pritchard/Fournier/Nesmith/TL
      Situational: Waters/Semi/Grant/Kornet

Add a vet min guy like Kevin Love (?) or something next year and you might have something.
      « Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 01:07:43 PM by LilRip »
      - LilRip