Author Topic: Agree or Disagree: 1. We Need Depth 2. We Can Only Get Depth by Trading Brown  (Read 2683 times)

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
In Football and Baseball it can be a beneficial roster construction move to trade a superior player for multiple players. This is not the case basketball.

Short of any major Kemba/Smart trades the Cs depth will be greatly improved with better roster health, development of young players ( Pritchard is solid as back up PG, Nesmith and/or Langford need to become rotational wings) and at least 1 playoff test vet addition.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
I would move Brown for KAT. I would move Smart for a scorer! Nothing worse than a shooting guard who can't shoot!

You know that, other teams are aware of this also...
If Ainge wasn't so much in love with Smart, we may could have done a sign and trade with the Kings, for Bogdanovic for Smart. A 6'6" shooting guard who can not only shoot, but can create for others.

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Just a general observation:

Of all the mechanisms that a team might use to improve, trades are the hardest way.

Trades work the best at correcting a team imbalance. Someone as good as Jaylen Brown is never that type of problem.

Smart, Fournier, Langford and Nesmith are an imbalance. That's 4 of our top 8 players who play shooting guard, and that's Jaylen's best slot too.

We need two complimentary players, some normal player development and we are one of the top 5 teams in the league. If we just had a pretty good power forward, we would improve dramatically.

I generally agree with you with the exception that Smart's best position is PG.  However, Kemba's best position at this point is closer to the 2 than 1, so the imbalance persists.

If you believe that about Smart then you either peg him as a starter or a backup point guard. I don't see how he can be a starting point on a championship team unless we had one or two elite passers at other spots that you can run an offense through.

Pairing him with Walker has been a disaster in my opinion. The team pushes responsibility over to Tatum, who is a great scorer but hasn't been a good enough passer to elevate his less talented teammates.

I'm OK with him serving as backup point, but that means he's a utility backup, and would need some of his minutes off point, or he's playing only 15 minutes.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's much harder to win a title with just one All-Star and a bunch of role players.

I agree the Celts need depth. I disagree that it makes sense to trade Brown to get that depth.

I do agree that Smart is likely going to get traded since he's one of the few tradeable pieces the Celtics have.  I also think Langford, Nesmith, and Timelord are likely to be on the block since they probably have at least some trade value as young players with potential.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Just a general observation:

Of all the mechanisms that a team might use to improve, trades are the hardest way.

Trades work the best at correcting a team imbalance. Someone as good as Jaylen Brown is never that type of problem.

Smart, Fournier, Langford and Nesmith are an imbalance. That's 4 of our top 8 players who play shooting guard, and that's Jaylen's best slot too.

We need two complimentary players, some normal player development and we are one of the top 5 teams in the league. If we just had a pretty good power forward, we would improve dramatically.

I generally agree with you with the exception that Smart's best position is PG.  However, Kemba's best position at this point is closer to the 2 than 1, so the imbalance persists.

If you believe that about Smart then you either peg him as a starter or a backup point guard. I don't see how he can be a starting point on a championship team unless we had one or two elite passers at other spots that you can run an offense through.

Pairing him with Walker has been a disaster in my opinion. The team pushes responsibility over to Tatum, who is a great scorer but hasn't been a good enough passer to elevate his less talented teammates.

I'm OK with him serving as backup point, but that means he's a utility backup, and would need some of his minutes off point, or he's playing only 15 minutes.

Without getting into potential trades or cap implications I would be interested to see how Smart would do at PG if the Cs added a big wing with some passing ability and retained Fournier as the 6th man.
 Example
Start Smart, Brown,Tatum, Nance, and R Will

Bench Fournier, Thompson, Pritchard and Nesmith/Langford

With this sort of roster I would look for continued improvement creating from Tatum and Brown. Particularly for each other and getting away from the your turn my turn basketball. With an offseason and new contract I would like to see Fournier pushes into more of a PG role. His career best is 3.6ast per game with a change in role (2nd option to bench role and 3rd option) I can see him pushing that above 4 per game.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
Q.  How many trade Jalen Brown threads can one person make?

A.  A lot.

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Trading Brown for depth is insane. Has the failure of so many teams with top 5 picks not shown you how hard it is to get a player of Jaylen's quality in the draft?

You use Brown as a centerpiece to trading for a Lillard or Wall. Otherwise, you keep him.

You can build depth with late picks and random vets. You don't trade an all star caliber player not yet even in his prime for nothing. You don't trade a silver dollar for a bunch of nickels, dimes and quarters.