Poll

If Lillard is available.  Would you trade what it takes to obtain him?

yes
6 (33.3%)
no
12 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: If Lillard is available. Would you trade what it takes to obtain him?  (Read 5236 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The reality is...  it would be impossible to obtain Lillard without giving up one of Tatum or Brown.

You do give up some defensive adv  (Lillard is shorter) and age (Lillard is 30). 

But Lillard is a better passer than either.  And can heave some ridiculous shots from anywhere on the court, especially late in games.

He has that swagger about him

IF one of Tatum or Brown is what it takes.  I would force Portland to have to eat Walker contract.   That would be the one condition

Sample Trade proposal (core players involved)

To Blazers:  Brown or Tatum,  Walker
To Celtics:  Lillard, Nurkic, future 1st

Some would like to add Lillard to Tatum and Brown.   But it would likely be impossible to do that

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Nahhhh. The offer is kemba, Prichard, Romeo, Nesmith and 3 first rounders.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Tatum is firmly untouchable. You can no longer go "Brown or Tatum" as if their value is equal, because it is not.

That said, we've sort of been over this in another thread. Most of the apprehension comes down to money. Lillard is set to earn basically double what Brown is on, and is a considerable amount older than Jaylen Brown. I doubt we'd be able to get Portland to take Kemba too, let alone with Portland sending us a 1st round pick.

Lillard has to demand out for Portland to even consider trading him, but given his contract length and the fact that they fired Stotts I believe they will try and move McCollum for something and see where that takes them next year.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Tatum is firmly untouchable. You can no longer go "Brown or Tatum" as if their value is equal, because it is not.

That said, we've sort of been over this in another thread. Most of the apprehension comes down to money. Lillard is set to earn basically double what Brown is on, and is a considerable amount older than Jaylen Brown. I doubt we'd be able to get Portland to take Kemba too, let alone with Portland sending us a 1st round pick.

Lillard has to demand out for Portland to even consider trading him, but given his contract length and the fact that they fired Stotts I believe they will try and move McCollum for something and see where that takes them next year.

I dont get this notion Tatum is on another level vs Brown

How is this conclusion made? Bc Tatum is more popular on sm?

They are both all stars.  General stats are close

Imo Brown is a better and more engaged defender.  Tatum a more natural shooter. Though Brown has really improved in this area also

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Tatum for Lillard straight up would be straight theft for Portland.

If Brad brought the owners that trade he’d be fired before he even got started.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
If we have to give up Tatum or Brown to get him then what's the point?  We need all three to realistically make a run at the title and we'll have no real flexibility either way.  I think those three are frankly cooler than other stars and could probably attract some cheap bench players.

I think Time Lord, Kemba & picks is our only shot at that.  Not sure if it gets it done even if they realize TL is legit.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Depends if Portland goes full blow it up rebuild imo.

That being said, Dame is a bonafide#1 alpha who excels in prime situations. I love that dude’s mentality. That being said, his size and age do scare me a bit but I legit think he’s the type of mentality/player/leader the Cs need. I think he would be good to be around for both JB and JT.

Not sure I’d be willing to part with JB. I’d try to consider every possible Avenue with trading Kemba for pieces Portland would like.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Imo Brown is a better and more engaged defender.  Tatum a more natural shooter. Though Brown has really improved in this area also
Tatum's value league-wide is considerably higher. It doesn't matter whether fans don't see much of a difference there, it's just the reality of the matter.

Tatum is 18 months younger, better at scoring, passing and rebounding, bigger and has a bigger star profile. The difference on defence is negligible for me. Tatum is a better team defender, Brown is a better 1v1 defender.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Depends if Portland goes full blow it up rebuild imo.

That being said, Dame is a bonafide#1 alpha who excels in prime situations. I love that dude’s mentality. That being said, his size and age do scare me a bit but I legit think he’s the type of mentality/player/leader the Cs need. I think he would be good to be around for both JB and JT.

Not sure I’d be willing to part with JB. I’d try to consider every possible Avenue with trading Kemba for pieces Portland would like.

It would take Walker and Smart (likely both traded for picks instead) Nesmith, Langford, Pritchard and like 4 1sts and 3 1st swaps for Lillard and fillers

Something crazy like that.  And this would be Blazers last option .... and should be able to find a reserve all star calibre minimum  in return (like Siakam or SGA)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Tatum's value league-wide is considerably higher. It doesn't matter whether fans don't see much of a difference there, it's just the reality of the matter.

Tatum is 18 months younger, better at scoring, passing and rebounding, bigger and has a bigger star profile. The difference on defence is negligible for me. Tatum is a better team defender, Brown is a better 1v1 defender.

I semi disagree. I get the perception part

But Brown is more explosive. Elite explosiveness.  Due to this, his ceiling is a tad higher ...as he keeps expanding his game (another leap this season).

Tatum may have the edge.  Perception or not. But is not next level better imo

Re: If Lillard is available. Would you trade what it takes to obtain him?
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 06:47:31 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Yeah , I ‘d trade Brown in a NY sec ......Lillard on my short list to revamp the Celtics into a contender, one of the few guys that I would take for Brown . 

Brown would be starting point for Portland ,  it would require picks or couple young players min.

But Tatum ?
No freak n way .he is the next gen superstar ,  After AD , Kyrie , KD ,and curry and the rest of the current crowd.

Lillard , Tatum and couple nice Healthy Timelord bigs would put us in the conversation .
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 07:17:16 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2021, 06:53:46 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The Blazers aren't trading Dame unless he asks to be traded.  They signed him to a big new contract.  He's the reason there are butts in the seats.  If they trade someone, it will be McCollum.   

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2021, 06:56:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

But Brown is more explosive. Elite explosiveness.  Due to this, his ceiling is a tad higher ...as he keeps expanding his game (another leap this season).

I don't think just because he's got a slight edge athletically his ceiling is higher. Tatum just scored 50+ points 4 times in 2 months. That is up there with Jordan, Kobe and Harden in terms of volume scoring from the wing. Tatum has more 50 point games than Brown has 40 point games. That right there is the difference - the difference between All-Star calibre and All-NBA calibre offence.

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2021, 07:09:10 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
You do this trade if Lillard is available and Brown is the output.

Brown, Walker, Nesmith, and 2 first-round picks.

Make Portland throw another rotational piece in that package so they can come off the bench with the C's.

Lillard PG, pick up a cheap SG, Tatum/Parker at SF/PF, Williams C.

Championship contender.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2021, 07:13:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I don't think just because he's got a slight edge athletically his ceiling is higher. Tatum just scored 50+ points 4 times in 2 months. That is up there with Jordan, Kobe and Harden in terms of volume scoring from the wing. Tatum has more 50 point games than Brown has 40 point games. That right there is the difference - the difference between All-Star calibre and All-NBA calibre offence.

I have never cared for these massive volume scoring performances tbh

Booker hit 70 against the Celts... and they lost the game.

Does this mean Booker is a more gifted scorer than most players in the league?

I place a higher value on triple doubles (or close to it) + scoring output

Ok we are getting sidetracked with Tatum vs Brown

So you wouldnt trade Brown for Lillard??

I would think about it if they are willing to eat Walker contract

Celts need another boost to make the finals