Author Topic: Thank you Danny Ainge  (Read 8622 times)

Thank you Danny Ainge
« on: June 02, 2021, 02:51:31 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Danny Ainge, along with Wyc and Co, played a huge role in making the Celtics a relevant NBA franchise again.  Ainge took over a franchise that was an absolute mess. He had a young Paul Pierce, but other than that the team was in shambles.  No good young talent, tons of overpaid vets, and possibly the worst contract in the league with Vin Baker.  Within 5 years the Celtics were hanging banner 17.  And that was without ever getting lucky in the lottery. 

Once the Big 3 era reached its end, Ainge was able to move into the current era with hardly any rebuilding, with the Celtics only missing the playoffs once in the last 14 seasons.  Incredible job.  I'm excited for the future, but I'm gonna miss having Ainge around.  Dude was good at his job.

Re: Thank you Danny Ainge
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 02:55:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Thank you Danny for your 18 years of service

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 02:57:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Danny was a great GM.

But it was time to move on.  You could hear it in his voice during those weekly radio interviews. Heck, he even mentioned about thinking of retiring just a couple of weeks ago on one of them. I'm surprised that got little play in the media. It is why i wasn't very surprised by his announcement.

Will very interesting to see how Brad as GM views the roster of players he has been coaching.  He seemed to give everyone a fair shot as a coach.  He has some big roster decisions coming up.  Selecting the next HC the least of his problems.

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 02:58:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Danny did a great job.

Took a franchise mired in mediocrity and built it into a title team that had a period of contention lasting 5 years.  With some better injury luck they would have won at least one more title.

Then he flipped the assets from that contending team and had the Celts back into the realm of relevance within 5 years.  Three ECF runs in four years.  Now the team has two young All-Stars that Ainge drafted. 

Ainge did a good job and unfortunately had some pretty bad luck, particularly with KG's knee and Hayward's ankle.  It seems like Ainge's health kind of kept him from staying on, and perhaps played a role in his team building decisions declining a bit in the last couple of seasons.  In retrospect, perhaps he should have hung it up sooner.

All the same, much gratitude for what Ainge built in his time here.  Here's hoping Brad can live up to the legacy of the man he's replacing.  I'm apprehensive.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 03:26:21 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Thank u Danny!

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 03:28:22 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Kudos to Danny Ainge.  I think he was one of the best GM/FO people in the league.  It has been a rough last year or so.  I hope that he and his family enjoy his retirement, or at least until he takes a job somewhere else. 

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 03:32:10 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Posted this in the other thread, but it really belongs here:

Reporter asks Brad if he considered being both the coach and GM. Danny responds, “I told him a few days ago that if he doesn’t find someone good he will be doing both.”   :laugh:

I’m going to miss Danny. I will always be grateful for the 2008 championship team that he put together and for him making the right calls on Jaylen and Jayson. Thank you, Mr. Ainge.

Also, here is his interview from earlier today with Brad, Steve, Wyc for anyone interested.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=41bphlCRwng

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 03:34:45 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Danny was great but he ran out of steam this last couple of years. Kyrie debacle nearly killed him and me too. He got us a banner and will be remembered for that!

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 03:37:20 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I was just coming to start this very thread. Thanks for doing so freshinthehouse.

Thank you Mr. Ainge. Thank you for being a celtic player and GM. Thank you for making the past 20 years exciting and interesting.

Ainge has done a great job as GM for the Celtics. The jewel of course is the championship, something that very few GMs can boast about. And without  unexpected injuries (perk, KG, hayward, kemba) this team might have 1 to 2 more to boast about.

Next, he has rebuilt this team a couple of times and they have consistently been in the playoffs after those rebuilds.

He brought in talent, but sometimes it didn't work but the idea was good and it showed his ability to do so. Hayward, Irving, Kemba being examples.

He also brought in talent that did work out. KG, Allen being the top examples of that. He also did well in the draft, keeping the celtics well stocked in young talent.

Most of all, he made the celtics a consistent playoff team that played hard and was fun to follow.

It will be fun to watch Stevens (dang, I cant type CBS anymore!!) as team president. Stevens isnt alone. Ainge is still with the team in a reduced role. Zarren and others will be there to provide continuity and support as well. Stevens is really, really smart and I see no reason why he cant make the jump from coach to GM successfully. Ainge did.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 03:37:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
It is funny.  For a while, there was this narrative that because Danny always won trades big-time, that no one wanted to trade with him (winning trades I think is what GMs are supposed to try to do).  Then it became a bad thing somehow that he missed out on trades because he was trying too hard to win the trades.  I think the only ones trying too hard were the ones trying to stir up something to criticize Ainge for.

Ainge was a great GM in my opinion.  I will miss Danny.  I feel good about the future.  Thank you Danny and go Celtics!

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2021, 03:45:07 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I echo most of the above.

Thank you, Danny. 26 years with the organization. You'll be missed.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2021, 03:49:35 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Thank you to Danny for assembling one of the best Celtics team in 2008 enroute to an NBA Championship.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 03:50:19 PM »

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
Danny did a great job, and with a little luck and keeping James Posey, we could have had a couple more titles!! Have a good life, Danny!! You'll always be a Celtic!!

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 03:55:24 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
he restored us to relevancy after decades of misery post bird.

thank you so so much danny ainge :)

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 03:55:59 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Thanks Danny Ainge!!!