4 (2.7%)
Someone else but not Mark Jackson or Jason Kidd
35 (23.6%)
Kara Lawson
12 (8.1%)
Rondo
8 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Author Topic: Who's the New coach!  (Read 69181 times)

Re: Who's the New coach!
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2021, 08:53:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
one thing is certain: in today’s environment the next C’s HC will not be a white male.
Most of the best available candidates (in my opinion) aren't white men anyway
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2021, 09:07:05 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273
one thing is certain: in today’s environment the next C’s HC will not be a white male.

agreed.

on a related note, one guy whose perspective i enjoy, particularly on dan patrick’s show, is reggie miller. back in september, he was vocally advocating on behalf of sam cassell and becky hammon for the rockets head coaching position.

i’m currently watching the atl/ny game and near the end of the first half, reggie bullock hit his forth three of the half. without missing a beat, miller quipped, “ these knicks fans should be used to a reggie knocking down threes in this building.” a great line.

i love the guy’s swagger and wish he was interested in coaching. possibly getting cheryl as an assistant in a package deal would be cool. i know, a million reason why it’s a bad idea but i really do like the guy and his fire.

for the record, i voted for cassell in the poll and think his style is exactly what this young team needs.

« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2021, 09:41:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

agreed.

on a related note, one guy whose perspective i enjoy, particularly on dan patrick’s show, is reggie miller. back in september, he was vocally advocating on behalf of sam cassell and becky hammon for the rockets head coaching position.

i’m currently watching the atl/ny game and near the end of the first half, reggie bullock hit his forth three of the half. without missing a beat, miller quipped, “ these knicks fans should be used to a reggie knocking down threes in this building.” a great line.

i love the guy’s swagger and wish he was interested in coaching. possibly getting cheryl as an assistant in a package deal would be cool. i know, a million reason why it’s a bad idea but i really do like the guy and his fire.

for the record, i voted for cassell in the poll and think his style is exactly what this young team needs.
Reggie would certainly be able to teach our guys a thing or two about off-ball movement. Even if our young wings just sought him out as a consultant, would help their game/.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2021, 09:42:52 PM »

Kiorrik

I really hope we get Becky, and with that, something to prove.

« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2021, 09:59:31 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Give me Mike D’Antoni and Udoka as his #1 assistant, so that he can be groomed to take over in a few years.  Udoka was a long time assistant for the Spurs, so I would hope that he could bring an edge defensively, while Mike handles the offense. That would be ideal.

Not comfortable with first time head coaches when the C’s have two all-stars and are trying to win now.

Seriously??

D'antoni will turn Tatum into Melo part 2

Please no

Yuppp. Give him a couple of offensive studs and let him go to work. Last 4 seasons he coached Mike was 55-27, 65-17, 53-29, 44-28. Sign me up for that.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2021, 10:00:52 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I don’t mean to be sexist but would the players really respect a female coach? Thoughts?

« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2021, 10:06:56 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I don’t mean to be sexist but would the players really respect a female coach? Thoughts?

They didn't seem to have a problem with Kara Lawson as an assistant.

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2021, 10:07:19 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Ideally we get one of the three best active coaches: Popovich, Coach K or Tony Bennett. If one of the first two, we’re back to Stevens in 1-3 years. Bennett and Stevens would be a match made in heaven; music to my ears.

Hammon would add to Celtics lore and add a lot of female fans…if it worked…

Kenny Smith would be an interesting choice. If we want someone the players are guaranteed to look up to, it’s Kenny considering EVERY active player grew up watching Kenny on Inside the NBA.

If we’re talking a second shot for someone, Mark Jackson is the man. Nobody deserves a second shot more than him.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 10:22:35 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2021, 10:11:09 PM »

Kiorrik

Thoughts?

Well for one she's an assistant coach at the Spurs and has been for 7 years.

I'm thinking you don't get that kind of tenure without being respected.

Will that be part of her battle? Possibly.

But I love having people that have "something to prove". That lil extra bump in motivation.

And I feel like that's what we need. A lil extra drama to fight through.

« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2021, 10:13:18 PM »

Kiorrik

Popovich, Coach K or Tony Bennett. If one of the first two, we’re back to Stevens in 1-3 years. Bennett and Stevens would be a match made in heaven; music to my ears.

Hammon would add to Celtics lore and add a lot of female fans… if it worked…

"If it worked" fits for every single choice.

But I'd love to give it a shot regardless of outcome. Not every "first" will work out perfectly. Not every first has to, either.

« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2021, 10:18:24 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Popovich, Coach K or Tony Bennett. If one of the first two, we’re back to Stevens in 1-3 years. Bennett and Stevens would be a match made in heaven; music to my ears.

But I'd love to give it a shot regardless of outcome. Not every "first" will work out perfectly. Not every first has to, either.

I’m game, particularly if Pops agreed to join her as assistant HC. What a trio that would be!

« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2021, 10:18:45 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Thoughts?

But I love having people that have "something to prove". That lil extra bump in motivation.

I think it’s a much harder task to command respect as a head coach vs an assistant.  You just need to be technically sound as an assistant. As a HC you need to be a leader. We shall see.

« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2021, 10:19:25 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Mark Jackson wouldn't be a bad choice. Good with player development and can get his team to play hard.

I'd have to put knitting needles in my ears.
Jackson and Scal supposedly hate each other so he'd have my vote.

« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2021, 10:21:55 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273

aaaaaannnd that’s where you lose me. i’m completely disinterested in the C’s making a social justice statement “regardless of outcome.” what i am interested in is another banner (or three). if hammon is the best candidate to make this happen, hire her. i care not about her gender.

unless i misread your post, you clearly have a very different agenda for this team. if the C’s see it your way, i’m going to find it very difficult to support the franchise going forward.

« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2021, 10:22:21 PM »

Kiorrik

Thoughts?

I think it’s a much harder task to command respect as a head coach vs an assistant.  You just need to be technically sound as an assistant. As a HC you need to be a leader. We shall see.

As if no assistant coach ever became a head coach.

7 years is a solid enough time imo.