4 (2.7%)
Someone else but not Mark Jackson or Jason Kidd
35 (23.6%)
Kara Lawson
12 (8.1%)
Rondo
8 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Author Topic: Who's the New coach!  (Read 68967 times)

Re: Who's the New coach!
« Reply #360 on: June 15, 2021, 06:55:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
B/R's Jake Fischer reported Monday the Celtics were interested in "young coaches who are said to relate well with players" and that "playing experience in the NBA" was another preference.

Additionally, he reported "team personnel contacted by B/R maintain that hiring a Black candidate is another top priority for the Celtics. If Boston can also land someone who has previous head coaching experience, that person would further meet the Celtics' criteria, sources said."

Don't expect a decision anytime soon. Adam Himmelsbach of the Boston Globe reported the team "has not yet whittled the list to a group of finalists, and that the search could go on for a few more weeks."

Sounds like they want a Tyrone Lue clone.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #361 on: June 15, 2021, 06:56:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
B/R's Jake Fischer reported Monday the Celtics were interested in "young coaches who are said to relate well with players" and that "playing experience in the NBA" was another preference.

Additionally, he reported "team personnel contacted by B/R maintain that hiring a Black candidate is another top priority for the Celtics. If Boston can also land someone who has previous head coaching experience, that person would further meet the Celtics' criteria, sources said."

Don't expect a decision anytime soon. Adam Himmelsbach of the Boston Globe reported the team "has not yet whittled the list to a group of finalists, and that the search could go on for a few more weeks."
Young, black, former NBA player and with head coaching experience? Does such a candidate exist?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #362 on: June 15, 2021, 07:01:35 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

Young, black, former NBA player and with head coaching experience? Does such a candidate exist?

I wonder how young "young" is.  Played within 5 years?  10 years?  Stackhouse is 46 with coaching experience.  Is that "young"?

Side note:  I don't think we should get into how black "black" is...

« Reply #363 on: June 15, 2021, 07:07:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Juwan Howard is one.  He seems to be off the market though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #364 on: June 15, 2021, 07:09:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yeah, he was who I first thought of but he seems firmly committed to Michigan for at least the next few years.

Jerry Stackhouse is an interesting suggestion, but I don't know that he's ready.

« Reply #365 on: June 15, 2021, 07:14:35 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Why isn't my name in the poll? I'd be a great coach!!!!

« Reply #366 on: June 15, 2021, 07:40:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yeah, he was who I first thought of but he seems firmly committed to Michigan for at least the next few years.

Jerry Stackhouse is an interesting suggestion, but I don't know that he's ready.

I think that it will be Darvin Ham or Ime Udoka.  Ham only has head coaching experience in the G-league, and Udoka doesn’t have any, but both have experience as long-time assistants.

« Reply #367 on: June 15, 2021, 07:59:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I think that it will be Darvin Ham or Ime Udoka.  Ham only has head coaching experience in the G-league, and Udoka doesn’t have any, but both have experience as long-time assistants.
Totally okay with Darvin Ham to be honest. Less sure on Udoka, but that stems from just not knowing.

« Reply #368 on: June 15, 2021, 08:47:58 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown

Totally okay with Darvin Ham to be honest. Less sure on Udoka, but that stems from just not knowing.

I imagine not many other candidates could check off the "shattered a glass backboard" box on their resume.  That's gotta count for something.  Also, I've read really good things about him as a coaching prospect.

« Reply #369 on: June 15, 2021, 09:23:21 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91

I imagine not many other candidates could check off the "shattered a glass backboard" box on their resume.  That's gotta count for something.  Also, I've read really good things about him as a coaching prospect.

“Dunkin Darvin“ Ham. He could swing some marketing deals off that. Dunkin’ instead of Chipotle. He didn’t have a stellar NBA career, but he was on a championship team.

Another interesting connection is that he was traded for recent Celtics assistant Jerome Allen.

« Reply #370 on: June 15, 2021, 10:36:45 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Is Jake Fischer a credible source of insider Celtics news?

« Reply #371 on: June 15, 2021, 10:37:05 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown

« Reply #372 on: June 15, 2021, 10:52:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/boston-jaylen-brown-tweets-head-234449442.html

Seems relevant to the conversation.

He didn’t get his math right though...when you count Kyrie and Durant, there are 6 African American coaches left. By the way who is the slacker that did not make the final seven?

« Reply #373 on: June 15, 2021, 11:57:59 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

No.

« Reply #374 on: June 16, 2021, 12:00:27 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

No.

Good thing nobody is listening to him.  ::)