Author Topic: Post playoff predictions here  (Read 7397 times)

Post playoff predictions here
« on: May 21, 2021, 04:26:56 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Round 1

PHI (1) def. WAS 8. 4-1

BKN (2) def. BOS (7). 4-1

MIA (6) def. MIL (3). 4-2

ATL (5) def. NYK (4). 4-3

UTA (1) def. GSW 8. 4-0

LAL (7) def. PHX (2). 4-1

POR (6) def. DEN (3). 4-2

LAC (4) def. DAL (5). 4-2

Round 2

PHI (1) def. ATL (5). 4-1

BKN (2) def. MIA (6). 4-3

UTA (1) def. LAC (4). 4-2

LAL (7) def. POR (6). 4-1

Round 3

BKN (2) def. PHI (1). 4-2

LAL (7) def. UTA (1). 4-3

Finals

LAL (7) def. BKN (2). 4-2

Re: Post playoff predictions here
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 04:39:50 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Round 1
PHI beats WSH in 5.
BKN beats BOS in 4.
MIL beats MIA in 5.
NY beats ATL in 7.

UTA beats GSW in 7/MEM in 5.
LAL beats PHX in 4.
POR beats DEN in 5.
LAC beats DAL in 6.

Semi-Finals
PHI beats NY in 5.
BKN beats MIL in 5.

LAC beats UTA in 6.
LAL beats POR in 5.

Conference Finals
BKN beats PHI in 5.

LAC beats LAL in 6.

NBA Finals
BKN beats LAC in 4.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 05:27:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
EAST

PHI (1) vs WAS (8 ) -- PHI in 5

BRK (2) vs BOS (7) -- BRK in 4

MIL (3) vs MIA (6) -- MIL in 7

NYK (4) vs ATL (5) -- NYK in 7

-----

PHI (1) vs NYK (4) -- PHI in 4

BRK (2) vs MIL (3) -- MIL in 6

-----

PHI (1) vs MIL (3) -- MIL in 6

WEST

UTA (1) vs GSW (8 ) -- UTA in 5

PHX (2) vs LAL (7) -- LAL in 6

DEN (3) vs POR (6) -- DEN in 7

LAC (4) vs DAL (5) -- LAC in 6

-----

UTA (1) vs LAC (4) -- UTA in 7

DEN (3) vs LAL (7) -- LAL in 6

-----

UTA (1) vs LAL (7) -- UTA in 7

FINALS

UTA (1) VS MIL (3) -- MIL in 7

Some notes

- The only teams in the playoffs that are top 10 in both offense and defense this season are the Bucks and Jazz.  The Jazz are top 5 in both categories.

- The Sixers are a top defense with a borderline top 10 offense; the Nets are the top offense in the league with a bottom 10 defense.  The case for the Lakers is that they have the best defense in the league despite missing their stars for long stretches, and their offense should be much better than the 24th ranking they earned during the regular season because they're going to have LeBron and AD playing.  Maybe, but they weren't a great offensive team last year, either.

- The Bucks - Nets season series was 2-1 in Milwaukee's favor, and each game was very close.  Lots of reasons that may not mean anything in the post-season, but we'll see.

- I will openly admit this is largely wish-casting on my part.  I want to see Giannis go on a run and vindicate himself.  I want to see the all-in win-now moves from a small market franchise to keep their superstar pay off in a big way.  I want to see the Lakers and Nets lose before the Finals. 

- I genuinely think, though, that the Nets are going to fall short due to the lack of time that their main stars have played together.  I also think that at the end of the day, a team in the bottom 10 of defensive efficiency is not going to win a title.  Another factor is that I am skeptical that the Nets aren't going to have an injury to at least one of their main guys before their playoff run is over.  Not a major injury, necessarily, but something nagging that limits a guy.  Their three stars have all shown a penchant for nagging injuries to a lesser or greater extent.

- Lord save us from a Lakers - Nets final.  Please. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 06:28:06 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Round 1
PHI beats WSH in 5.
BKN beats BOS in 4.
MIL beats MIA in 5.
NY beats ATL in 7.

UTA beats GSW in 7/MEM in 5.
LAL beats PHX in 4.
POR beats DEN in 5.
LAC beats DAL in 6.

Semi-Finals
PHI beats NY in 5.
BKN beats MIL in 5.

LAC beats UTA in 6.
LAL beats POR in 5.

Conference Finals
BKN beats PHI in 5.

LAC beats LAL in 6.

NBA Finals
BKN beats LAC in 4.

I agree with almost all of this. I just don’t see any sweeps, except for maybe the C’s in the first round. No way the Suns aren’t getting a few games off of the Lakers and I think the the Clippers lose in 6 games to the Nets.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 06:43:21 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
EAST

PHI (1) vs WAS (8 ) -- PHI in 5

BRK (2) vs BOS (7) -- BRK in 4

MIL (3) vs MIA (6) -- MIL in 7

NYK (4) vs ATL (5) -- NYK in 7

-----

PHI (1) vs NYK (4) -- PHI in 4

BRK (2) vs MIL (3) -- MIL in 6

-----

PHI (1) vs MIL (3) -- MIL in 6

WEST

UTA (1) vs GSW (8 ) -- UTA in 5

PHX (2) vs LAL (7) -- LAL in 6

DEN (3) vs POR (6) -- DEN in 7

LAC (4) vs DAL (5) -- LAC in 6

-----

UTA (1) vs LAC (4) -- UTA in 7

DEN (3) vs LAL (7) -- LAL in 6

-----

UTA (1) vs LAL (7) -- UTA in 7

FINALS

UTA (1) VS MIL (3) -- MIL in 7

Some notes

- The only teams in the playoffs that are top 10 in both offense and defense this season are the Bucks and Jazz.  The Jazz are top 5 in both categories.

- The Sixers are a top defense with a borderline top 10 offense; the Nets are the top offense in the league with a bottom 10 defense.  The case for the Lakers is that they have the best defense in the league despite missing their stars for long stretches, and their offense should be much better than the 24th ranking they earned during the regular season because they're going to have LeBron and AD playing.  Maybe, but they weren't a great offensive team last year, either.

- The Bucks - Nets season series was 2-1 in Milwaukee's favor, and each game was very close.  Lots of reasons that may not mean anything in the post-season, but we'll see.

- I will openly admit this is largely wish-casting on my part.  I want to see Giannis go on a run and vindicate himself.  I want to see the all-in win-now moves from a small market franchise to keep their superstar pay off in a big way.  I want to see the Lakers and Nets lose before the Finals. 

- I genuinely think, though, that the Nets are going to fall short due to the lack of time that their main stars have played together.  I also think that at the end of the day, a team in the bottom 10 of defensive efficiency is not going to win a title.  Another factor is that I am skeptical that the Nets aren't going to have an injury to at least one of their main guys before their playoff run is over.  Not a major injury, necessarily, but something nagging that limits a guy.  Their three stars have all shown a penchant for nagging injuries to a lesser or greater extent.

- Lord save us from a Lakers - Nets final.  Please.
Absolutely agree with your last statement.  Lakers - Nets would be horrible. 

I don't see the Jazz making the finals regardless of who they play.  But barring injuries no way they are making it through both the Clips and the Lakers. 

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 06:50:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I don't see the Jazz making the finals regardless of who they play.  But barring injuries no way they are making it through both the Clips and the Lakers.

It's the classic "Does the regular season mean anything" question again.

The Jazz were the clear cut best team in the league this season.  Near the very top on offense and on defense.  Best point differential.  Best record.

Does that translate to the post-season success? 

The Jazz are probably the 2015 Hawks all over again.  But then again, they do have a very good 1-on-1 scorer in Mitchell; they've got several wings with good size who can shoot; they've got an elite interior defender in Gobert; they've got a sixth man microwave scorer; overall they've got very good depth; they've got a very good coach; they have plenty of post-season experience on the roster, including floor-general Mike Conley.  The Jazz were a last second Conley shot that was half-way down from making it past the Nuggets last year.

So there are reasons to think perhaps the Jazz could be a very good playoff team, too.  But probably not.

If the Jazz can't go all the way to the Finals, I hope the Clips vindicate themselves.  Much rather see Kawhi make another run than see Bron make another Finals.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 06:57:46 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

The Jazz were the clear cut best team in the league this season.  Near the very top on offense and on defense.  Best point differential.  Best record.

The Jazz are probably the 2015 Hawks all over again.  But then again, they do have a very good 1-on-1 scorer in Mitchell; they've got several wings with good size who can shoot; they've got an elite interior defender in Gobert; they've got a sixth man microwave scorer; overall they've got very good depth; they've got a very good coach; they have plenty of post-season experience on the roster, including floor-general Mike Conley.  The Jazz were a last second Conley shot that was half-way down from making it past the Nuggets last year.

So there are reasons to think perhaps the Jazz could be a very good playoff team, too.  But probably not.

If the Jazz can't go all the way to the Finals, I hope the Clips vindicate themselves.  Much rather see Kawhi make another run than see Bron make another Finals.

You aren’t going to win an NBA championship with a 6’1” guard as your best player and only all star.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 07:42:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

You aren’t going to win an NBA championship with a 6’1” guard as your best player and only all star.

OK this doesn't remotely describe the Jazz though

Also I picked the Bucks
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 10:07:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Round 1
PHI beats WSH in 5.
BKN beats BOS in 5.
MIL beats MIA in 6.
ATL beats NY in 7.

UTA beats GSW/MEM in 5.
PHX beats LAL in 7.
DEN beats POR in 6.
LAC beats DAL in 7.

Semi-Finals
PHI beats ATL in 6.
MIL beats BRK in 7.

UTAH beats LAC in 6.
DEN beats PHX in 5.

Conference Finals
MIL beats PHI in 7.

UTAH beats DEN in 7.

NBA Finals
UTAH beats MIL in 7.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 10:14:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Brooklyn over Boston in 6
Milwaukee over Miami in 7
Atlanta over New York in 6
Philly over Washington in 5

Los Angeles over Phoenix in 4
Denver over Portland in 5
LAC over Dallas in 7
Utah over Memphis in 5

Milwaukee over Brooklyn in 6
Philly over Atlanta in 5

Los Angeles over Denver in 6
Los Angeles over Utah in 6

Milwaukee over Philly in 6
Los Angeles L over Los Angeles C in 5

Milwaukee over Los Angeles L in 7
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 12:24:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

That is not a description of the Jazz

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 12:29:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

The Jazz were one of the healthiest teams in the league and have a lot of depth, but they don't have the top end talent that it will take to win 2 playoff series to even reach the Finals in which the other team will have the best player on the floor (it would have been 3 had the Warriors pulled it out).  Their record was inflated by their great health and depth, but they just don't have the horses to beat the LA teams or the trio from the East.  They are just a cut above from a talent standpoint.

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 12:51:49 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Funny how you guys are short changing the Jazz and what they have accomplished this season and yet are optimistic we some how get over against the Nets....

The Jazz are the real deal and jus because they ahvent proved it yet doesnt mean they will falter.

Im tellin ya all if our team was composed of the Jazz line up you people woiuld be dancing and predicting capturing number 18 already.

Our Cs will never have the chance against the Nets and that is real talk but to say the Jazz is not coming out on top of the West is just delusional.

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2021, 01:05:13 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Funny how you guys are short changing the Jazz and what they have accomplished this season and yet are optimistic we some how get over against the Nets....

The Jazz are the real deal and jus because they ahvent proved it yet doesnt mean they will falter.

Im tellin ya all if our team was composed of the Jazz line up you people woiuld be dancing and predicting capturing number 18 already.

Our Cs will never have the chance against the Nets and that is real talk but to say the Jazz is not coming out on top of the West is just delusional.

The Jazz don't have any prime generational talent players on their team. That will be the major difference between a mid/late playoff exit and winning championship.

Brooklyn, Clippers, Lakers, Milwaukee, Philadelphia all have extreme MVP-caliber players.

And last I check, the Jazz haven't been to the big dance in over 2 decades. Usually been a first or second-round fodder.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2021, 02:30:19 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The jazz are an underdog. They have home court advantage throughout though and that should help. Utah always has a solid home court edge.

They've got a deep and balanced team but it is true that they won't have the best player on the floor against the Mavs or Clips in the second round. Similarly they won't have the best or second best player in a series against the Lakers. 

But it would be awesome if they went to the Finals. That's what I'm rooting for.
- Mark Twain