Author Topic: Kyrie and Durant should be likable. Why aren’t they?  (Read 9561 times)

Re: Kyrie and Durant should be likable. Why aren’t they?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2021, 02:10:55 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Contrast those two with Lebron.  Am I correct that that he’s generally perceived as less of a dink?

To most, I would agree.  However, the Clay Travis' of the world have been really pushing an anti-Lebron slant to a certain segment of society.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2021, 02:15:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Contrast those two with Lebron.  Am I correct that that he’s generally perceived as less of a dink?

To most, I would agree.  However, the Clay Travis' of the world have been really pushing an anti-Lebron slant to a certain segment of society.

Yeah.  I think that LeBron is too reactionary in his politics sometimes, but I think his heart is probably in the right place.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 02:59:36 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Judging from what I've heard from lebron, he's not much better than Kyrie as a person. He's just better at keeping his mouth shut, in contrast to Kyrie spouting off weird garbage every 5 minutes.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 03:25:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Judging from what I've heard from lebron, he's not much better than Kyrie as a person. He's just better at keeping his mouth shut, in contrast to Kyrie spouting off weird garbage every 5 minutes.

That alone makes him significantly more likable in my book.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2021, 03:29:23 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
The Golden State thing did it for me with KD. I think he was likable beforehand, but the whole “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em” philosophy for someone who is supposedly an all-time great just rubbed me the wrong way, as well as the fact that he became super arrogant afterwards when it was such a weak move. Say what you want about Lebron creating a superteam in Miami, but he didn’t just join the Celtics when he couldn’t beat them in the playoffs.

As for Kyrie, how much time do you got? The biggest thing with him is his arrogant, faux-intellectual persona. He presents himself as this deep, philosophical intellectual, but really he’s just a moody malcontent with sophomoric level opinions on trendy topics who happens to be rich and have a platform due to being good at the game of basketball. He reminds me of the stereotypical pretentious philosophy undergrad who thinks he’s so much smarter than his peers, but is really just pretentious and about as deep as a bath. Also the fact that he straight up quit and didn’t show up for us in the playoffs is a major factor in my dislike of him.

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 03:51:57 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Is it just social media that amplifies the stuff?  If Larry and magic played today, what media and social media pick a part all of their faults until they were hated?

I think it's absolutely social media that amplifies it.  Also the fact that neither Durant or Kyrie have that superstar level charisma that some players (like Magic, Jordan, Shaq) have.

And I don't think Larry and Magic would be hated, heck they might even be more liked (I can picture Larry talking trash on Twitter gaining him even more of a following).  But I'm sure there's some guys who would be, probably guys like Kareem or Rick Barry, who were supposedly seen as 2 of the bigger, insecure jerks in their playing days.  No doubt there's guys like Kyrie/Durant in every era.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2021, 03:53:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

As for Kyrie, how much time do you got? The biggest thing with him is his arrogant, faux-intellectual persona. He presents himself as this deep, philosophical intellectual, but really he’s just a moody malcontent with sophomoric level opinions on trendy topics who happens to be rich and have a platform due to being good at the game of basketball. He reminds me of the stereotypical pretentious philosophy undergrad who thinks he’s so much smarter than his peers, but is really just pretentious and about as deep as a bath. Also the fact that he straight up quit and didn’t show up for us in the playoffs is a major factor in my dislike of him.

100%

He totally has that "sophomore philosophy major hanging around the study lounge" vibe
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2021, 04:16:58 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

That alone makes him significantly more likable in my book.

This is a huge piece of it.

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2021, 04:28:06 PM »

Kiorrik

It's really hard to care about someone when they believe and promote flat earth nonsense. That's literally going out of your way to make people dumber, and more susceptible/prone to other such nonsense.

I kinda don't mind Durant. He just seems jaded. Which is fair.

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2021, 04:42:30 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Durant's a thin-skinned, rabbit-eared, petty person who didn't help himself by ditching OKC to go to GSW of all places.  Essentially, walking into championship the cheap way. 

Kyrie? Well, where do I even begin?

I may be in the minority but those OKC teams with Westbrook and Durant were ugly to watch, with my turn your turn iso ball.  From a pure basketball standpoint watching those Warriors teams with Durant for a team that preaches ball movement was a lot of fun to watch basketball played at the highest level. 

Also it’s not like Durant is the one and only player to leave a team for a better situation. 

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2021, 04:48:33 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
I don't have a problem with Durant.  He strikes me as insecure, and his tendency to argue with twitter trolls is silly, but if fighting with trolls on the internet is one of the worst things you do then you're alright. 

I don't like Kyrie at all, though.  He comes across as an arrogant, privileged diva. 

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2021, 04:57:44 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

That is really low bar to measure up too.

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2021, 05:17:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Yeah.  I think that LeBron is too reactionary in his politics sometimes, but I think his heart is probably in the right place.
I think that is a big difference.  Lebron is genuinely a good person whose heart is the right place.  He legitimately cares about his community and does so much good not only because he can but mostly because he really does want to give back and help those who came from where he came from but without the super human athletic gifts. 

To me, the bigger difference though is Lebron isn't a phoney.  He isn't a fake.  He is who he is.  Sure he crafts his image, but he doesn't create fake twitter accounts to argue with people.  He doesn't pontificate about things he knows little about to make sure everyone knows he is smart.  He is quite simply real.  That isn't Durant or Irving.  They are as phoney and fake as they came.  Durant, in particular, created this public image that is the exact opposite of who he actually is.  You could see it in Oklahoma City, but it only amplified in Golden State and has reached epic levels in Brooklyn.  Irving is really really odd, which I don't think makes him be all that likeable.  Couple that with how many times he has quit on his teams, including earlier this year, and he is just hard to like.  He isn't that eccentric uncle that everyone likes, he is the eccentric uncle that lives down the street in the run down house that just scares people.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2021, 05:23:26 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Durant's a thin-skinned, rabbit-eared, petty person who didn't help himself by ditching OKC to go to GSW of all places.  Essentially, walking into championship the cheap way. 

Kyrie? Well, where do I even begin?

I may be in the minority but those OKC teams with Westbrook and Durant were ugly to watch, with my turn your turn iso ball.  From a pure basketball standpoint watching those Warriors teams with Durant for a team that preaches ball movement was a lot of fun to watch basketball played at the highest level. 

Also it’s not like Durant is the one and only player to leave a team for a better situation.

LOL. You must have hated this year's Celtics team.

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2021, 05:30:23 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I used to like Durant, when he played in OKC. I also liked watching Golden State before Durant arrived, as they were a fun young team with great ball movement. I wonder if everyone one involved between Durant and Golden State thought it was the perfect marriage from a fan’s perspective too. Unfortunately, it was the complete opposite. Since then, I hate everything about Golden State and Durant, who came off as tone deaf and selfish, and belittled the purity of what it means to win a title.