Author Topic: NBA Playoffs 2021  (Read 313733 times)

Re: NBA Playoffs 2021
« Reply #1635 on: June 12, 2021, 11:39:41 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Nets are obstacle for the next 2 seasons. Philly a problem for the rest of decade.

Can we trade Grant and Carson back for Matisse?
Pardon? Embiid is 27 and Harris is 28.

Also, if Thybulle actually played here he would be torn apart. Elite defender but absolutely garbage on offence, which many Cs fans have no patience for
I have plenty of patience for elite defenders so I would love me some Thybulle :laugh:
For sure, he’s a solid player. But he’s only 6 months younger than Jaylen Brown and barely better than Langford - hardly missed out on a big weapon

He has much more value than Grant and Carson, which is what the trade was.   He is going to be an all  defensive NBA player in the next year or two IMO. Just needs to refine his 3 pointer.
Agreed.  Thybulle is very disruptive defensively.  1.1 blk and 1.6 stl in 20 min is elite.  By comparison, Smart was 0.5 blk and 1.5 stl in 33 min.  The problem for the Sixers is that it is difficult to pair up Thybulle and Simmons for too long due to their offensive limitations. 

If we had Thybulle, Smart could be moved without question. 

Edit - Thybulle got a 3rd place vote for DPOY this year. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 02:47:59 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #1636 on: June 12, 2021, 12:07:45 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Nets are obstacle for the next 2 seasons. Philly a problem for the rest of decade.

Also, if Thybulle actually played here he would be torn apart. Elite defender but absolutely garbage on offence, which many Cs fans have no patience for
I have plenty of patience for elite defenders so I would love me some Thybulle :laugh:
For sure, he’s a solid player. But he’s only 6 months younger than Jaylen Brown and barely better than Langford - hardly missed out on a big weapon

He has much more value than Grant and Carson, which is what the trade was.   He is going to be an all  defensive NBA player in the next year or two IMO. Just needs to refine his 3 pointer.
Agreed.  Thybulle is very disruptive defensively.  1.1 blk and 1.6 stl in 20 min is elite.  By comparison, Smart was 0.5 blk and 1.5 stl in 33 min.  The problem for the Sixers is that it is difficult to pair up Thybulle and Simmons for too long due to their offensive limitations. 

If we had Thybulle, Smart could be moved without question.

This is my Smart replacement in the second round: https://hoopsdistillery.com/?p=1778

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAaIHIKNrro
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 12:19:07 PM by liam »

« Reply #1637 on: June 12, 2021, 01:08:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The schedule for the playoffs is ridiculous.  Just play every other day.  2 games every day.  No reason for 2 days off in between games, especially when they aren't even traveling. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1638 on: June 12, 2021, 07:19:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'm not sure refine is the right word for someone who shoots 30% from three, alongside 44% from the FT line. Major overhaul is more accurate. Needs to see whoever Lonzo Ball saw
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1639 on: June 12, 2021, 07:34:26 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

I'm not sure refine is the right word for someone who shoots 30% from three, alongside 44% from the FT line. Major overhaul is more accurate. Needs to see whoever Lonzo Ball saw
Last season, he shot 35% and 61%.  The free throw percentage especially is not too meaningful given how infrequently he shoots them.  In 65 games this season, he only shot 18 free throws. 
In college over 4 seasons, he averaged 35.8% and 78.2%. 

« Reply #1640 on: June 12, 2021, 08:38:21 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
So.... The Suns are really good.

Lucky though that AD got injured in Game 4. Lakers got 2 from the Suns before he went down. Utah will beat this team.

The Suns were 8-0 in the bubble last year, had the second best record in the NBA this season, and are about to go 7-2 so far in these playoffs. I'd say the Lakers were lucky they didn't have to face them in last year's playoffs.

Have to count actual games that took place or will be taking place. Lakers w Ad and Lebron were up 2-1 vs the Suns before AD went out. Now Suns are facing Nuggets without Murray. Might face Jazz without Conley.

Again they’re good. Just luckier relative to others.

Luck has nothing to do with it. When you build your team around a 36 year old superstar and a perennially injured big man in AD, the odds that one of them will be injured at a key point in the postseason are high. Lebron was not the same after he returned from his ankle sprain as well.

The bubble playoffs last year were the ideal situation for the Lakers. They rested their old guys for months, had a gentle warm up going in to the playoffs, and avoided all travel and back to backs all the way through. Many of us on here were saying last year that it was the Lakers best shot at a ring with Lebron because he's likely not going to hold up again physically in a regular NBA schedule again.  AD also has had a constant history of injuries since his rookie year. He's only managed to play 70 games or more twice in nine seasons.

Why bring it back to the Lakers? Again, Suns are luckier relative to other teams, whether it’s the Lakers or not.

Faced the Lakers w/o AD. Facing Nuggets without Jamal. Will probably face Jazz w/ hobbled Conley. Very good team but lucky nonetheless.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #1641 on: June 12, 2021, 09:03:20 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Clippers look locked in. I like how Lu changed up the starting lineup, too.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1642 on: June 12, 2021, 09:32:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Who started

Utah>Clippers

« Reply #1643 on: June 12, 2021, 09:39:51 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Who started

Utah>Clippers

Jackson, Batum, Kawhi, George, Morris. Super versatile.... really bothered Mitchell.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1644 on: June 12, 2021, 10:15:12 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

Who started

Utah>Clippers

Jackson, Batum, Kawhi, George, Morris. Super versatile.... really bothered Mitchell.

Same lineup that closed last game. Difference is they doubled Mitchell almost every time in the 1st half.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #1645 on: June 12, 2021, 10:48:52 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Mitchell just hobbled to the locker room. Hopefully it’s nothing serious.

« Reply #1646 on: June 12, 2021, 10:57:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Two years now & I still can’t figure out this Clippers team.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1647 on: June 12, 2021, 11:00:45 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Two years now & I still can’t figure out this Clippers team.

They remind me a lot of the Cs. Capable of great things, but always leave you wanting a little bit.

« Reply #1648 on: June 12, 2021, 11:13:21 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Clippers might come back up from an 0-2 hole and beat the Jazz in 7 games!

The Jazz have struggled the first two games of this series anyway.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1649 on: June 12, 2021, 11:59:42 PM »

Offline terra haute

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
Not a clips fan by any stretch but if they are the best hope to beat the Nets I would rather see that. Also a pacers fan so paul George is high on my list of players