Author Topic: Hornets (30-31) at Celtics (32-30) Game #63 4/28/21  (Read 25651 times)

Hornets (30-31) at Celtics (32-30) Game #63 4/28/21
« on: April 27, 2021, 10:15:16 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Charlotte Hornets (30-31) at Boston Celtics (32-30)
Wednesday, April 28, 2021
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #63 Home Game #32
TV: NBCSB, FSSE-CHA, NBA-LP
Radio:  WBZ-FM, WFNE
TD Garden

Probable Starters
PG SG SF PF C
PG:  Marcus Smart
SG:  Evan Fournier
SF:  Jaylen Brown
PF:  Jayson Tatum
C:   Tristan Thompson

Celtics Reserves
Payton Pritchard
Tremont Waters
Tacko Fall
Luke Kornet
Carsen Edwards
Aaron Nesmith
Grant Williams
Jabari Parker
Evan Fournier
Romeo Langford
Semi Ojeleye

Injuries
Robert Williams III (knee) questionable
Jayson Tatum  (ankle) questionable
Kemba Walker (side) out

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Probable Starters
PGSGSFPFC
PG:  Devonte Graham
SG: Terry Rozier
SF:  Cody Martin
PF:  Miles Bridges
C:   PJ Washington

Hornets Reserves

Bismack Biyombo
Vernon Carey, Jr
Caleb Martin
Jalen McDaniels
Nick Richards
Grant Riller
Brad Wanamaker
Cody Zeller

Injuries
LaMelo Ball (wrist)  questionable
Nate Darling (ankle) out
Gordon Hayward (foot) out
Malik Monk  (ankle) out 

Head Coach

James Borrego

Game Notes
The Celtics look to avenge Sunday's embarrassing loss to the Hornets as they take the fight to the TD Garden.  The Celtics were healthy in Sunday's game, other than Robert Williams but they still allowed the Hornets to outplay them in just about every sense of the word from start to finish.  The Celtics are 1-1 this season against the Hornets after losing on Sunday and winning 116-86 back on April 4. 

Both teams are playing on the second night of back to back games.  The Celtics were at home against Oklahoma City Thunder  while the Hornets hosted the Milwaukee Bucks and had to travel after the game.  The Celtics are 5-7 on the second night of back to back games and 1-2 when the games are home/home.  The Hornets are 6-6 on the second night of back to back games.

The Celtics remain in 6th place, tied with the 7th place Miami Heat.  They are 2 games behind both New York (4th) and Atlanta (5th).  They are 1.5 games ahead of Charlotte (8th).  The Celtics are 6-4 in their last 10 games and 19-12 at home.  They have lost their last 3 games.  The Hornets are in 8th place and 1 game ahead of Indiana (9th) and 3 games ahead of Washington (10th).  They are 1.5 games behind both Boston (6th) and Miami (7th).  They are 3-7 in their last 10 games and 14-18 on the road. 

Jayson Tatum missed Tuesday's game due to the ankle impingement that has been bothering him.  Robert Williams has missed 7 straight games with a sore knee, including Tuesday's game.  Brad hopes that both will be available for this game.  Kemba Walker missed Tuesday's game and will miss at least this game due to a side strain.  I'm going to guess that Tatum does play and that Fournier starts in place of Kemba as he did against the Thunder. 

The Hornets are missing Malik Monk with with an ankle injury.  Gordon Hayward is also out with a foot injury.  Nate Darling is out with an ankle injury.  Eight days ago, the report was that LaMelo Ball would be ready to play in 7-10 days.  He was out for Tuesday's game against the Bucks and is questionable for this game.  They have 2 days off after this game so they may choose to rest him one more game before he gets back on the court. 

Key Matchups
  vs 
Marcus Smart vs Terry Rozier
Rozier has had a chip on his shoulder against the Celtics since he was traded to Charlotte.  He is leading the Hornets with 20.6 points, 4.2 rebounds, and 4.1 assists.  He is shooting 46.5% from the field and 40.3% from beyond the arc. Rozier had 22 points, 7 rebounds and 4 assists in their first game against the Celtics and 21 points, 5 rebounds, 11 assists in Sunday's game. Even if Marcus starts at the point, I expect to see him guarding Rozier, at least part of the time.

vs 
Jayson Tatum vs Miles Bridges
Bridges is averaging 11.9 points, 6.1 rebounds and 2.1 assists but since moving into the starting lineup, he is playing very well.  He had a big game against the Celtics on Sunday with 20 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 block.  He is shooting 50.5% from the field and 40.7% from beyond the arc.   Hopefully Jayson will return for this one. 

Honorable Mention
Tristan Thompson vs PJ Washington
Washington has been starting at center for the Hornets, who have been going without a traditional center in their starting lineup.  He is averaging 12.3 points, 6.4 rebounds, 2.6 assists, and 1.3 blocks per game.  He is shooting 44.7% from the field and 38.6% from beyond the arc.  Against the Celtics on Sunday, he put up 22 points, 12 rebounds, 5 assists and 1 block.  It's possible that if Robert Williams can return that he may start but I'm listing Thompson here because I think they will try to ease Williams back into it rather than starting his first game back.

Keys to the Game
Defense Defense Defense!! - Defense is the key to winning every game.  The Hornets average 109.9 points per game while the Celtics average 111.9 points per game.  The Celtics are 12th with a defensive rating of 111.3 while the Hornets are 16th with a defensive rating of 111.7.  In Sunday's game, the Celtics played no defense, allowing the Hornets to shoot 50% from the field and 48.8% on three pointers.  The same thing happened on Tuesday when they allowed a tanking Thunder team break their 14 game losing streak by shooting 48% from the field and 43% from beyond the arc. They must make defense a priority if they want to win this game. 

Rebound -  Rebounding takes effort and desire and when the Celtics have both of those on the boards, that carries through to the other parts of their game.  The Hornets average 43.6 rebounds per game while the Celtics average 44.3 rebounds per game.  The Celtics were out-rebounded 46-41 on Sunday.  The Celtics must commit to give effort to get rebounds.  They can't score without the ball and they can't give up extra possessions to the opponent by failing to rebound and expect to win.

Play Team Ball -  The Celtics play best when they move the ball and find the open man.  They have  to play TEAM ball and share the ball and no player should try to do too much  or play hero ball.  They also need to commit to play team defense.  The Celtics play the best when the scoring is spread out and no one player has to do too much.  The Celtics best games this season have been games in which they have had 26 or more assists per game.  The Hornets are averaging 26.9 assists per game and had 39 assists on Sunday while the Celtics average 23.2 assists per game and had just 18 assists on Sunday. The Celtics must commit to moving the ball and to playing together.

Focus - The Celtics don't seem to be focused in recent games.  They turn the ball over way too much.  They also have been struggling to score the ball, shooting just 38% from the field and 34% from beyond the arc against Charlotte on Sunday and 42% from the field and 22% from beyond the arc against the Thunder on Tuesday.   They shot an incredible 49 threes and made only 11 of them.  If they continue to struggle from the perimeter, they need to go inside instead of continuing to shoot 3 point bricks.  They need to focus and make their shots,  and they need to take care of the ball. 

Urgency - The Celtics have been passive in their past 3 losses.  They have allowed teams to play harder than them resulting in losing games they should have won. They have shown absolutely no urgency in these games in spite of being on the verge of landing in the play-in games.   Even bad teams that play hard can beat good teams that don't and that is what is happening to the Celtics.  They need to take every game seriously and realize that if they don't, they may end up in the play-in tournament and out of the playoffs altogether.  They have shown flashes of playing well but then go right back to being lethargic.  Somehow, they have to get back to being the more aggressive team. 

X-Factors
Back to Back at Home - Both teams are playing on the second night of back to back games. The Celtics are at home while the Hornets had to travel after Tuesday's game.   The Celtics need to take advantage of being at home and having their fans there to cheer them on.   They also should be a bit fresher because they didn't have to travel. 

Officiating - Officiating is always an x-factor.  Sometimes you don't even notice the refs but other times, they very clearly make their presence known.  Every crew calls the game differently and players never know what to expect.  Sometimes they call it tight with a foul for every little bit of contact.  Sometimes they let the teams play and allow them to be physical.  Players need to adjust to how the game is being called and not allow the officiating to take their focus off of playing their game. And they definitely don't need to complain after every play. 

Re: Hornets (30-31) at Celtics (32-30) Game #63 4/28/21
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 10:16:59 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Go Celtics !

TP FLCeltsFan!!!

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 10:17:29 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  liam   for being the first to post in the game thread!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!

Beat the Hornets!!!!!! 

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 10:23:47 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
GOOOOOOO CELTICS TP FLCF FOR ANOTHER GREAT GAME THREAD

GOOOOOOOOOOO CELTICS ...BEAT the hornets.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 10:26:46 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806
Let's go Cs and bounce back with a win over Charlotte.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 10:27:23 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say we win this by at least ten points. This is a must win game and the law of averages should at least allow the Cs to start playing better.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 10:29:32 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say we win this by at least ten points. This is a must win game and the law of averages should at least allow the Cs to start playing better.

Smart shoots 4-20 in this one and we make a hard push to make the game close in the 4th. I do hope I'm wrong.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 10:32:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP FL -- this team isn't worthy of your efforts

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 10:36:43 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

Smart shoots 4-20 in this one and we make a hard push to make the game close in the 4th. I do hope I'm wrong.

Haha TP for the laugh! I wouldn’t be surprised if that what happens man. This Celtics team is so unpredictable.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 10:38:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Haha TP for the laugh! I wouldn’t be surprised if that what happens man. This Celtics team is so unpredictable.

I predicted 4 makes and a bunch of shots at the beginning of the OKC game and was sadly right.

:(

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 10:38:37 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I wonder if Brad's going to sit Jaylen for tomorrow now because of his wrist. I'm sure it's going to hurt tomorrow.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 11:00:42 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Cs need to look into what Kyrie burned around their court..lol

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 01:02:15 AM »

Offline CaNdyMaN1369

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 151
Let's Go Celtics!!!                   :)                        Let's Beat the Hornets!!!

TP...                      FLCF...

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 01:07:18 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
LET'S GO CELTICS
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 07:32:55 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Let's see if Tatum is embarrassed at that lazy pass intercepted by Rozier, and comes out with killer instinct.  To me, that's where the season ended for this team.