Author Topic: Trade Deadline Rumors  (Read 72359 times)

Re: Trade Deadline Rumors
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2021, 11:50:50 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Celtic blog said Celtics interested in Bogdonavitch and Collins from Hawks.

Can’t see us getting all that without giving up Smart, right?
They're going to have to give Smart a pay raise if they re-sign him and it's likely to be a substantial one. He still gets hurt a lot and as he's getting older there are more nights where he doesn't play like Marcus Smart on the defensive end - a natural byproduct of aging (my opinion).

Now would be a good time to move him.

Seems like a bit of a contradiction there. On one hand you’re saying that he’s going to command a substantial raise, but on the other you state that he gets hurt a lot, doesn’t play the same level of D consistently and is getting older. I don’t think he gets more than $12-15M/ year. Mostly due to his poor shooting ability.
Smart will get paid if he hits free agency and I don't think he extends with Boston without a significant pay raise. I wouldn't pay him more than he's getting right now.

« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2021, 11:53:02 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Brian Robb regarding the ATL rumor

We’ve already covered at MassLive the Celtics’ looming payroll crunch this offseason and the likelihood one of Kemba Walker or Marcus Smart would need to be moved in order to bring other upgrades to the roster. Smart is the far more affordable player on his current deal so he would be far more appealing to other teams around the league in trade talks. With Boston’s other young assets not showing much potential or long-term promise just yet, Smart looks like one of the team’s top trade assets.

There are numerous huge fans of Smart within the team’s organization so it’s safe to say there will be some serious hesitation involving any deal with the NBA All-Defensive guard. However, with the pieces on this year’s roster not showing great signs of fitting together through 40-plus games, time may be running out for this core to prove they are the right mix. Smart isn’t going anywhere unless the Celtics’ make a notable upgrade to the roster but in order for them to do that, moving Smart with some draft picks is a way to get Boston in the running for some top names that could be on the move at the trade deadline.

« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2021, 11:55:45 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Collins is a fun name to think about, but the salary crunch the Celtics are in creates a double bind that I just don't see a way out of.

Trading Smart to get Collins is a sideways move in the short term. 

The only way to really upgrade via a trade for Collins would be to trade Kemba, but he probably has little to no trade value, so you'd need to use picks / prospects to move Kemba while also saving picks / prospects to trade for Collins.

Are you going to dump Kemba and empty the cupboard for John Collins, only to pay him a max deal this summer?  Is he worth that?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2021, 11:56:47 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806
The time is right to trade Smart.  I like Collins but would prefer Huerter over Bogdonovich.  Huerter who is under contract next season makes less money and is only 22. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2021, 11:57:07 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Brian Robb regarding the ATL rumor

We’ve already covered at MassLive the Celtics’ looming payroll crunch this offseason and the likelihood one of Kemba Walker or Marcus Smart would need to be moved in order to bring other upgrades to the roster. Smart is the far more affordable player on his current deal so he would be far more appealing to other teams around the league in trade talks. With Boston’s other young assets not showing much potential or long-term promise just yet, Smart looks like one of the team’s top trade assets.

There are numerous huge fans of Smart within the team’s organization so it’s safe to say there will be some serious hesitation involving any deal with the NBA All-Defensive guard. However, with the pieces on this year’s roster not showing great signs of fitting together through 40-plus games, time may be running out for this core to prove they are the right mix. Smart isn’t going anywhere unless the Celtics’ make a notable upgrade to the roster but in order for them to do that, moving Smart with some draft picks is a way to get Boston in the running for some top names that could be on the move at the trade deadline.

That's fine and dandy, but adding Bogdanovich, who makes more than Smart next year, does nothing to alleviate the payroll crunch, especially since Collins is presumably getting at or near the max.  I'm not saying Smart is untradeable, but that article only argues against the specific Smart for Bogdan + Collins rumor.

« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2021, 11:57:13 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Celtic blog said Celtics interested in Bogdonavitch and Collins from Hawks.

Can’t see us getting all that without giving up Smart, right?
They're going to have to give Smart a pay raise if they re-sign him and it's likely to be a substantial one. He still gets hurt a lot and as he's getting older there are more nights where he doesn't play like Marcus Smart on the defensive end - a natural byproduct of aging (my opinion).

Now would be a good time to move him.

Seems like a bit of a contradiction there. On one hand you’re saying that he’s going to command a substantial raise, but on the other you state that he gets hurt a lot, doesn’t play the same level of D consistently and is getting older. I don’t think he gets more than $12-15M/ year. Mostly due to his poor shooting ability.
Smart will get paid if he hits free agency and I don't think he extends with Boston without a significant pay raise. I wouldn't pay him more than he's getting right now.

I agree.  Hayward just got $120 million despite his injury struggles.  Smart will get paid.  Not $30 million, but $18 to $20 million could happen.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2021, 12:02:28 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
wish we can get rid of max player Kemba instead of Smaht....

« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2021, 12:02:54 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806
Collins and Huerter for Smart plus.  Huerter is solid on defense and an excellent shot with good basketball smarts.  Good player with another year under contract and he is only 22.  Hawks may not want to give him up to get Smart in a Collins trade.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2021, 12:10:56 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Has to be a version of a deal with Orlando that looks something like this:

Steve Clifford loves him some Kemba.

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2021, 12:19:38 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Aaron Gordon has requested a trade, we are in every article about it

https://theathletic.com/2468679/2021/03/22/will-the-celtics-trade-for-aaron-gordon-sources-say-a-deal-has-been-discussed/

The Athletic says we have already started talks with the Magic

Interesting.  I would be in favor of working out a trade for him.  What would I give up?  one of Nesmith/Romeo, Plus G Williams or Semi, Plus lottery protected First round pick 2021.  Don't know if that would get the deal done. Fact that he has demanded a trade suggests he wants to play for a playoff contending team; I guess / hope that we qualify LOL.

I don't know that Aaron Gordon is worth two firsts. I feel like Nesmith / Langford have a fair shot at being as good as Gordon is down the road. Another mid first round pick also has a fair shot at netting a high end rotation to starting level player.

I am not sure that A.Gordon has shown enough consistency / impactfulness on winning to warrant two 1sts. He has talent but also has largely been an empty stat kinda player for most of his career. He has failed year after year to take that next step forward into the player many thought (and still think) he is capable of being.

At the end of the day, A.Gordon is a reclamation project (in terms of high end talent). He is only a mid-level talent performance wise. He has a lot to prove of himself and a lot of bad habits that he has to undo in order to become a more winning type of player (shot selection, shot vs pass decision making, defensive effort / focus).

I would think one 1st + TPE + low end youth is a fair price.

I would be inclined to walk away from the trade at two firsts + TPE + low end youth.

I think he'd be worth it.

I think we would be well served getting a good rather than great player, especially one that fits a complimentary need so well. I really hope we don't pass on getting such a player over one extra 1st.

If he turns out to be able to keep his 3pt % over 38% going forward and he likes being here, he's ideal. We'd have the most athletic trio of wings in the league by a large margin. We are starting Semi Ojeleye. A "good" two way starter would make a huge difference.

« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2021, 12:34:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Keith Smith tweeted his best guess for Gordon’s price tag is 2 firsts and a young player. If the Celtics can get him for 2 firsts and Nesmith or Langford I’d be p---ed if they didn’t do that deal. I think he’s a perfect fit.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2021, 12:36:42 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
So many names being linked to Boston - Barnes, Gordon, Fournier, Collins, Bogdanovic, Vucevic ... surely something should happen right? I’m pretty excited to see our team post trade deadline. If some guys are held back tomorrow then something must really be brewing.

« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2021, 12:39:11 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Keith Smith tweeted his best guess for Gordon’s price tag is 2 firsts and a young player. If the Celtics can get him for 2 firsts and Nesmith or Langford I’d be p---ed if they didn’t do that deal. I think he’s a perfect fit.

I have a sinking feeling that a Gordon deal is gonna be killed because we wouldn't include Romeo Langford or something. And I'm gonna be livid if that happens.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2021, 12:49:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Is Aaron Gordon any good though?  I had high hopes for him when he was drafted but he seems more interested in being Tobias Harris than being Shane Battier, despite the latter being a much more valuable and natural type of role for him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2021, 12:49:43 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I have a sinking feeling that a Gordon deal is gonna be killed because we wouldn't include Romeo Langford or something. And I'm gonna be livid if that happens.

Of course do the Celtics 1st round picks or young players have the same value as others?

I mean if GS offers the T-wolves first, their first and Oubre (and cap filler), can the Celtics beat that?