Author Topic: Cam Newton returns - Schefter and The Globe  (Read 11522 times)

Re: Cam Newton returns - Schefter and The Globe
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2021, 10:58:37 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Well, it’s going to really fun watching the Pats again this season with a starting quarterback that doesn’t know how to throw a football. Can’t wait.  ;)
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2021, 11:09:11 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Well, it’s going to really fun watching the Pats again this season with a starting quarterback that doesn’t know how to throw a football. Can’t wait.  ;)

Yeah I'm soooo excited to see the offense work super hard to score 10 points in four quarters.  Can't think of anything more thrilling.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2021, 11:16:38 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
He’s basically playing for free so whatever at this point. Feels like they are going to draft someone at the position at least to develop.

Also hopeful they give Cam a real chance this year and put some offensive talent around him. The roster construction/talent last season was abysmal. Pats need like solid two WRs and TE in the worst way. They don’t even have to be top end guys, just solid. Anything would be an upgrade over the Harry/Byrd/Meyers and zero TEs.

That being said, just from looking at social media, the players are pretty happy he’s coming back. Maybe he’s popular league wide and will be able to recruit some guys to come here. I don’t know anymore.

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2021, 11:36:53 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Moved
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2021, 11:37:45 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
He’s basically playing for free so whatever at this point. Feels like they are going to draft someone at the position at least to develop.

Also hopeful they give Cam a real chance this year and put some offensive talent around him. The roster construction/talent last season was abysmal. Pats need like solid two WRs and TE in the worst way. They don’t even have to be top end guys, just solid. Anything would be an upgrade over the Harry/Byrd/Meyers and zero TEs.

That being said, just from looking at social media, the players are pretty happy he’s coming back. Maybe he’s popular league wide and will be able to recruit some guys to come here. I don’t know anymore.

How is a contract worth up to $14M for 1 year basically playing for free? Cam can't hit a stationary target. Giving him better WR's to overthrow is not going to change things. Pats Should just  keep N'Keal Harry at this point, since it’s unlikely that decent FA WR’s are coming to NE to play with a QB that can’t throw.  Might as well give the kid another shot.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 12:01:11 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2021, 11:41:46 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
The only way this isn't horrible is if Trey Lance falls to us. But even then, I think Cam is the last guy I want teaching Lance how to play quarterback.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2021, 12:07:29 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson

How is a contract worth up to $14M for 1 year basically playing for free? Cam can't hit a stationary target. Giving him better WR's to overthrow is not going to change things. Pats Should just  keep N'Keal Harry at this point, since it’s unlikely that decent FA WR’s are coming to NE to play with a QB that can’t throw.  Might as well give the kid another shot.
Because it’s not $14 mil guaranteed. Over half of that is incentives. His base salary will be around like 4-5 mil.

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2021, 12:09:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I'm certain that Cam is well liked around the league.

I'm very skeptical that anybody is especially eager to come to New England and submit to the Patriots' culture of rigid discipline and military "one for all" sensibility in order to team up with Cam, given that Cam is not really making the game easier for any of his teammates anymore.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2021, 12:30:17 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson

I'm very skeptical that anybody is especially eager to come to New England and submit to the Patriots' culture of rigid discipline and military "one for all" sensibility in order to team up with Cam, given that Cam is not really making the game easier for any of his teammates anymore.
Yeah, unless a guy is a veteran who is chasing a ring, in the NFL, money talks. So I have a hard time believing they are going to splurge on the top end skill guys. They’ll probably settle/pay the middle class guys because they are better value and seem to fit their mantra more.

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2021, 12:53:03 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
This is depressing news.  Basically leaves me with no excitement looking ahead to next season.   Cam was pretty awful last year and I can't see how he'll be any better next year.   
I think it's an acknowledgement that a rebuild will take multiple seasons -- I guess that was obvious but this signing would prevent me from continuing to operate in denial. 

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2021, 12:58:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Yeah, unless a guy is a veteran who is chasing a ring, in the NFL, money talks. So I have a hard time believing they are going to splurge on the top end skill guys. They’ll probably settle/pay the middle class guys because they are better value and seem to fit their mantra more.

Which was a totally solid strategy when they had a star QB to build around.

Without a centerpiece for your roster, focusing on paying value money for middle of the road journeymen just leads to you have a middle of the road team.

That's why they so badly need to focus on restocking the roster with youth.  It's the only way they're going to add the talent they need to be relevant and worth watching again.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2021, 01:12:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Patriots are expected to re-sign QB Cam Newton to a one-year deal, as The Boston Globe reported. It is a 1-year deal worth up to $14 million for Newton to return to New England, per source.

Ugh

It's not baddd

One could argue the Pats didn't provide him enough tools to do better

At the 15th pick,  my guess is Bill will pick either Trey Lance or Mac Jones.  If both are already chosen and no other top QB slips... trade the 15 to Jac (ideal) for multiple picks down the draft and takes Kyle Trask. 

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2021, 01:12:58 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Because it’s not $14 mil guaranteed. Over half of that is incentives. His base salary will be around like 4-5 mil.

He wasn’t worth the $1m that they paid him last year. I don’t see how he earned a contract 4-5 times larger based on his performance. Hopefully he can learn how to throw in the off-season.

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2021, 01:13:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This is depressing news.  Basically leaves me with no excitement looking ahead to next season.   Cam was pretty awful last year and I can't see how he'll be any better next year.   
I think it's an acknowledgement that a rebuild will take multiple seasons -- I guess that was obvious but this signing would prevent me from continuing to operate in denial.

Bill will probably try to beef the lineup better for Newton

worst case it is only a one year deal

Newton will also be asked to mentor the QB they pick at the draft (I would be stunned if they don't pick one)

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2021, 01:28:48 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Bill will probably try to beef the lineup better for Newton

worst case it is only a one year deal

Newton will also be asked to mentor the QB they pick at the draft (I would be stunned if they don't pick one)
Weren't the pats offensive line in the top 5 of highest salary last year?