Author Topic: Danny agreed to trade Pierce to Dallas?  (Read 6319 times)

Danny agreed to trade Pierce to Dallas?
« on: December 17, 2020, 09:03:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I had never heard this one before:

During an appearance on “Heavy Live with Scoop B Show” Mavericks owner Mark Cuban revealed that his team almost had a three-team deal in place to acquire the Boston Celtics star in 2013, only for the third team, the Atlanta Hawks, to back out of the deal. According to Cuban the Hawks reneged on the trade once they learned that the Celtics, their Eastern Conference foe, were involved.

“We were (close to trading for Pierce) and Atlanta killed it,” Cuban said. “We had a three-way deal done with the Mavs, Celtics, and Atlanta and when Atlanta saw the other team, because you really don’t tell the other team (who) the third team (is), you just say we’re moving a player, when we got to the trade call, they killed it.”

Dallas was looking to build one more contender around Dirk Nowitzki at the end of his prime, two years after winning the title in 2011. At the time, Pierce was 35 years old, but still had a few good years of hoops left.

If this made it to the trade call, that means the Celts had signed off on it.  That said, I’m a bit skeptical that things got that far, because this never made it to the media.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Danny agreed to trade Pierce to Dallas?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 09:55:47 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Interesting. I would have liked to see Dirk and Pierce play together.

Wasn’t there a deal in place for Pierce to go to NYK that year as well? Jackie Mac told the story on Bill Simmons’ most recent Book of Basketball podcast about KG (which is a great listen). I may be misremembering the team.

Edit: Yeah it was the Knicks.

Jackie Mac “Last time I talked to Pierce....we were talking about the end of the line with Doc and how things were getting messy..... He told me this story that Doc sent Sam Cassell down to tell him ‘We’re gonna trade you. We have a deal with you, you’re going to the Knicks.’ And Pierce is like ‘What?! Are you freaking kidding me? You tell Doc if he’s gonna trade me he better get down here in person and tell me. And you also tell him I’m not going. You’re not trading me.’ And then apparently they called off the deal.”
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 10:03:53 PM by pearljammer10 »

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 10:55:09 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I wonder what the proposed deal looked like.

The irony is because Atlanta backed out of the deal (due to not wanting to help Boston), the Hawks gave Danny time to end up making the Nets trade, where we ending up getting Smart, Brown, and Tatum.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 11:05:59 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This was reported in the media. 

March 8, 2013 Yahoo article

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--after-trade-talks-to-send-paul-pierce-to-dallas-fell-through--celtics-make-another-spring-run-203043279.html

March 8, 2013 CBS Sports article picking up on the Yahoo story.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-celtics-almost-traded-paul-pierce-to-dallas-in-three-team-deal/

Boston would have acquired Josh Smith.  The deal was killed according to the articles when Atlanta demanded a 1st from Boston as part of the trade. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 11:10:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This was reported in the media. 

March 8, 2013 Yahoo article

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--after-trade-talks-to-send-paul-pierce-to-dallas-fell-through--celtics-make-another-spring-run-203043279.html

March 8, 2013 CBS Sports article picking up on the Yahoo story.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-celtics-almost-traded-paul-pierce-to-dallas-in-three-team-deal/

Boston would have acquired Josh Smith.  The deal was killed according to the articles when Atlanta demanded a 1st from Boston as part of the trade.
This checks out given every single year it seemed like we were rumoured to be pursuing Josh Smith
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 11:24:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Yikes.  Imagine if we’d ended up with Josh Smith rather than the BRK picks?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 11:35:13 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Yikes.  Imagine if we’d ended up with Josh Smith rather than the BRK picks?
We still would have had KG so who knows what Brooklyn might have done.  Obviously not the full gamut, but we still might have gotten the Brown pick out of them, especially taking on Wallace.

And Rondo probably works out differently with Smith such that I don't think Boston just moves on from him.

That was a pretty terrible trade for Atlanta so it isn't a surprise they wanted a 1st from Boston.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 02:24:23 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

The irony is because Atlanta backed out of the deal (due to not wanting to help Boston), the Hawks gave Danny time to end up making the Nets trade, where we ending up getting Smart, Brown, and Tatum.

That was a nice highway robbery at the time.

But now Brooklyn has Durant and Irving, so ehh

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 07:38:54 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah, in the end it worked out for both BKN and us. They can't really complain at all since they signed two premier FAs for nothing. If they ended up with the picks, one of them surely would have been Fultz (over Tatum) so they wouldn't even have our future.

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 11:48:58 AM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Wasn’t there a deal in place for Pierce to go to NYK that year as well? Jackie Mac told the story on Bill Simmons’ most recent Book of Basketball podcast about KG (which is a great listen). I may be misremembering the team.

Jackie Mac “Last time I talked to Pierce....we were talking about the end of the line with Doc and how things were getting messy..... He told me this story that Doc sent Sam Cassell down to tell him ‘We’re gonna trade you. We have a deal with you, you’re going to the Knicks.’ And Pierce is like ‘What?! Are you freaking kidding me? You tell Doc if he’s gonna trade me he better get down here in person and tell me. And you also tell him I’m not going. You’re not trading me.’ And then apparently they called off the deal.”

Dang, I didn't know they were going to send Pierce to the Knicks. I wonder which season it was?

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 12:08:35 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

Yeah, in the end it worked out for both BKN and us. They can't really complain at all since they signed two premier FAs for nothing. If they ended up with the picks, one of them surely would have been Fultz (over Tatum) so they wouldn't even have our future.

Brooklyn absolutely nailed it in drafting even with lower picks with LeVert and Allen. They also built up guys like Joe Harris and Dinwiddie. Pretty impressive.

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 12:12:30 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Dang, I didn't know they were going to send Pierce to the Knicks. I wonder which season it was?

If Cassell was involved, it could've possibly been '08-09 when he was essentially a defacto assistant.  Although, that seems really odd.  Otherwise, from a timeline standpoint, it would've had to have been during Pierce's Clippers stint. 

I'm not counting '07-08 because there was no way in hell Pierce was getting traded then.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 12:18:22 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I had never heard this one before:

During an appearance on “Heavy Live with Scoop B Show” Mavericks owner Mark Cuban revealed that his team almost had a three-team deal in place to acquire the Boston Celtics star in 2013, only for the third team, the Atlanta Hawks, to back out of the deal. According to Cuban the Hawks reneged on the trade once they learned that the Celtics, their Eastern Conference foe, were involved.

“We were (close to trading for Pierce) and Atlanta killed it,” Cuban said. “We had a three-way deal done with the Mavs, Celtics, and Atlanta and when Atlanta saw the other team, because you really don’t tell the other team (who) the third team (is), you just say we’re moving a player, when we got to the trade call, they killed it.”

Dallas was looking to build one more contender around Dirk Nowitzki at the end of his prime, two years after winning the title in 2011. At the time, Pierce was 35 years old, but still had a few good years of hoops left.

If this made it to the trade call, that means the Celts had signed off on it.  That said, I’m a bit skeptical that things got that far, because this never made it to the media.

I'm not surprised most deals that actually happen tend to come out of nowhere. It's the rumored ones that typically don't happen because most of the time it's posturing.

This obviously would've been a bad deal for us, josh smith sucked. That's at least 2 deals off the top of my head now that danny really could have screwed this team, the other one being justice winslow.

The fact that it was atlanta that backed out of the deal is even scarier.

With all that said I wonder if this deal was more about throwing pierce a bone by sending him to a place where he could still contend.

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 12:22:31 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

If Cassell was involved, it could've possibly been '08-09 when he was essentially a defacto assistant.  Although, that seems really odd.  Otherwise, from a timeline standpoint, it would've had to have been during Pierce's Clippers stint. 

I'm not counting '07-08 because there was no way in hell Pierce was getting traded then.

I could have sworn the rumor was had the big 3 not been formed pierce would have been traded.

I admit I'm not good when it comes to history because my memory sucks. But wasn't the 06 season when pierce had his meltdown?

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 12:42:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I could have sworn the rumor was had the big 3 not been formed pierce would have been traded.

Paul has been in multiple trade rumors.  One was Pierce for the rights to CP3 on draft night.

He also has talked candidly about “pulling a Kobe” and demanding a trade if the team didn’t improve.