Author Topic: 2020 Mock Off-Season Free Agency Thread  (Read 36846 times)

2020 Mock Off-Season Free Agency Thread
« on: June 10, 2020, 03:38:55 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Hope this is going ok for you guys. This stage will be free agency. Please note the rules:

1. I'll function as the agents for all free agents. I intend to employ a combination of my opinion with a dice roll. One of the trickier parts of this will be free agents going to non-player teams, which is another good reason for you guys to pick up another team or two.
2. Friday-Monday 7pm-7pm EST will be player and team options decision period. Announce in this thread if you intend to pick up a team option and I will go through and accept or decline players options during this period. If you want your player to pick up his player option, then message me your sales pitch. If you don't message me, I'll take your silence as apathy and it will significantly impact whether the player might return.
3. Monday 7pm EST will begin free agency. Send your messages to me with the player you want to make an offer on THROUGHOUT THE DAY ON MONDAY. Since we've got guys in a bunch of time zones, you can send them early, but players will start to make decisions at 7pm EST. Players might make decisions quickly or slowly. I will make an announcement of signings on this thread.
4. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE SURE YOU CAN OFFER A CONTRACT TO A PLAYER. Use shamsports capulator for cap calculations. Make sure you use the 21 roster, not the 20. If it is found that you offered a deal that you couldn't legally offer, a player may decide to go elsewhere and other players may not want to go to your franchise because of its unprofessionalism.
5. Remember to focus on your top 10 players. I'd rather not do a lot of negotiations for the Brad Wanamakers of the world. If you have a binkie, I'll negotiate, but let's focus on the top of the rotation in free agency.
6. I will update this post with a running list of signed players and their contracts. I encourage you to use spotrac's free agent listing in order to find the players you want.

Let me know if you have questions. I'm learning as I do this. I'm trying to make it seamless and fun.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 09:17:05 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

Re: 2020 Mock Off-Season Free Agency Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 09:49:27 AM »

• Paul Silas
Bump to make sure everyone sees the rules and the start times.

• Paul Silas
You can find the list of players with player options here:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/po/

After evaluation, it's my opinion with the unsureness of the NBA's salary cap situation because of the abbreviated season that every player would default simply exercising his PLAYER OPTION and getting his guaranteed money.

I rolled dice with that expectation to randomize this decision, with only a small chance occurring that a player might decline his option.

JaMychael Green and Willie-Cauley Stein have declined their player options for the 2020-2021. They are both unrestricted free agents. Reports are that both would like to resign for a higher dollar amount with their current teams.

Everyone else has accepted their player option. This makes them trade eligible for our Mock Off-Season Purposes.

MAKE YOUR TEAM OPTION ANNOUNCEMENTS IN THIS THREAD STARTING ANY TIME.

Monday night at 7pmEST will begin free agency where you can make your pitch to unrestricted free agents.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Are teams also required to announce whether they are making qualifying offers to restricted free agents during this period?

• Paul Silas
Are teams also required to announce whether they are making qualifying offers to restricted free agents during this period?

I think that makes sense here.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
The Houston Rockets want Austin Rivers to pick up his PO so that he can continue providing them high quality shot creation and playmaking off the bench.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

• Paul Silas
The Magic picked up the team option on Johnathan Isaac, Mo Bamba, and Markelle Fultz, as espected.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Hope this is going ok for you guys. This stage will be free agency. Please note the rules:

1. I'll function as the agents for all free agents. ... .
so, what sort of shoe deal will you be getting us?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The Denver Nuggets extend Qualifying Offer to F Torrey Craig
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
The Magic picked up the team option on Johnathan Isaac, Mo Bamba, and Markelle Fultz, as espected.

FYI, all those options were already picked up.  Rookie deal options get picked up or declined in October for the following season.  No one needs to worry about those — the real teams have already acted on them all.

• Paul Silas
Send your free agents pitches to me tonight. Some might make their decision quickly. Make sure you get it in!

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
As many of us will only have the mid-level exception (be it full or taxpayer) to use, can you tell us what amount it should be?  If you don't have an amount, I recommend the following numbers, which are based on a 7.3% increase (the same percentage as the cap increase we're using this year):

Full MLE - $9.937M
Taxpayer MLE - $6.138M
Room -- $5.117M
Bi-Annual - $3.886M

• Paul Silas
As many of us will only have the mid-level exception (be it full or taxpayer) to use, can you tell us what amount it should be?  If you don't have an amount, I recommend the following numbers, which are based on a 7.3% increase (the same percentage as the cap increase we're using this year):

Full MLE - $9.937M
Taxpayer MLE - $6.138M
Room -- $5.117M
Bi-Annual - $3.886M

I'd like to use shamsports so people have a tool to track things.

Full MLE - 9.924M
Taxpayer MLE - 6.129
Room -- ??? Not sure how to calculate? ($5.1244M I think?)
Bi-Annual - 3.883M

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Full MLE - $9.937M
Taxpayer MLE - $6.138M
Room -- $5.117M
Bi-Annual - $3.886M

Full MLE - 9.924M
Taxpayer MLE - 6.129
Bi-Annual - 3.883M

Those numbers are all good to me (I think you have the room number correct for them based on the other 3).  The capulator loads very poorly on my device, so I've had a tough time finding these numbers on it, as well as minimum salaries.  (These minutia are very important to a team like the Pacers with a very tight budget and few open roster spots).

• Paul Silas

Full MLE - $9.937M
Taxpayer MLE - $6.138M
Room -- $5.117M
Bi-Annual - $3.886M

Full MLE - 9.924M
Taxpayer MLE - 6.129
Bi-Annual - 3.883M

Those numbers are all good to me (I think you have the room number correct for them based on the other 3).  The capulator loads very poorly on my device, so I've had a tough time finding these numbers on it, as well as minimum salaries.  (These minutia are very important to a team like the Pacers with a very tight budget and few open roster spots).

Yeah, we are quibbling about numbers that likely won't even be correct when the real off-season does roll around.