Author Topic: BOSTON LOCALS - TICKET PURCHASING ADVICE CELTICS/BRUINS GAMES  (Read 3069 times)

BOSTON LOCALS - TICKET PURCHASING ADVICE CELTICS/BRUINS GAMES
« on: October 23, 2019, 12:14:38 AM »

Offline Truth86

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice if possible with regards to purchasing tickets to games for this season.

I'm travelling from Australia to Boston in February 2020 and will be looking to buy tickets to the Celtics v Clippers games as well as the Bruins v Habs and Bruins v Red Wings games.

It's not my first time to the USA, nor is it my first time in Boston or buying NBA/NHL tickets, I came over a few years ago and went to numerous games so I am familiar with Stubhub and Seatgeek etc and am aware that no matter what, and especially for those specific games I'll be paying well above face value, and have already factored that in and accepted it.

I guess what I am wondering is advice as to whether there are any other ticket re-seller companies that I should consider or whether it's just those main two and the ticketmaster resale site that you're automatically directed to from the official website?

The other big question I have, is whether it's best to buy my tickets ASAP or whether I should wait closer to the date?

I have read that ticket prices can drop dramatically on the day of the game, however, I am a bit worried that if I leave it that late, and that's not the case, that I would actually be paying even more than I would have if I bought them a few months in advance?

So yeah, I guess to summarise, I am essentially just looking for advice as to the best way to buy tickets as well as any tips or tricks to get them at the best price that I can.

Apologies if this isn't the best forum or correct area to post this in, but any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I am a Boston diehard and basically just looking for the best experience possible as I am travelling solo for the first time and absolutely leaking money like a sieve hahah/

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Re: BOSTON LOCALS - TICKET PURCHASING ADVICE CELTICS/BRUINS GAMES
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 01:37:56 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
The other big question I have, is whether it's best to buy my tickets ASAP or whether I should wait closer to the date?

I have read that ticket prices can drop dramatically on the day of the game, however, I am a bit worried that if I leave it that late, and that's not the case, that I would actually be paying even more than I would have if I bought them a few months in advance?

Seems like you already know the right answer, but are just nervous about it.  Tickets will go almost always go down in price.  There's 3,000+ tickets on Stub Hub right now, and more to come (somebody's going to get sick, be out of town on business, have a death in the family, etc.). 

If I had tickets to that game that I wanted to sell, I have 5 months to try to get the best price possible, so I'm going to list it at the highest possible price I think I can get now.  Maybe 2 weeks until game time, they haven't sold, so maybe I lower the price 10%.  1 week out, I'll lower them another 10%.  2 days out I'm getting nervous I won't be able to sell and lower them little more.  Day of, I discount as much as it takes to sell.   Now some people don't have to sell, they can just go to the game themselves or will give them to a friend, so they won't lower the price too much, but some people have to sell because they can't go to the game.  They'll look up the prices for tickets in their section, and set theirs lower to get theirs to sell first.

The only way tickets will go up is if something amazing might happen.   Clippers or Celtics are on a historic winning streak, some record might be broken at the game, a huge trade for a mega star has just happened, Larry Bird is coming out of retirement that game, etc.  These are things that would drive prices up and are also very unlikely to happen.

Things more likely to happen: one or multiple big names are expected to miss the game, one or both teams have been playing lackluster basketball, a snowstorm leading to bad driving conditions (for all those who come from outside the city), etc.  These are things that will drive prices down and are more likely to happen.

Have gone to a ton of games, been to 15 or so NBA arenas, usually always wait till the day of to buy tickets, the earliest I'd buy would be the week of.  Have never regretted it.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 01:39:26 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I would check out aceticket.com. I've found it's all hit or miss when it comes to pricing. I tend to buy my tickets sooner rather than later because of the risk of missing out completely, especially since you're only in town a limited time. Especially if they are games against top tier teams like you mentioned. I wouldn't buy months in advance though, I usually buy a couple of weeks in advance. Also depends how choosy you are in terms of where you sit. The earlier you buy the more options you have, the later you buy the cheaper they usually are.

There's also a ticket forum on this site where you may get lucky and find some fellow forum member selling tickets for the games you're looking for  :D

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?board=45.0
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 01:50:04 AM »

Offline Truth86

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
Thanks so much to both of you for your responses, definitely made me a little more relaxed about buying now as I was basically ready to buy these tickets asap but just wanted to double check as even the nose bleed seats were pretty brutal.

I'll keep checking closer to the dates as you both mentioned and hopefully the prices start to drop a little.

Thanks again, very much appreciate the help

Cheers
Go Celtics!

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 08:29:49 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Hi, guys. I used to be a season ticket holder but it’s been awhile. 3 friends and I have been talking about going to a game together. Is it possible to get 4 “ nosebleeds”? Like the very last row even? Or are you usually stuck getting a group of 4 pricey ones together?

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 10:30:06 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Thanks so much to both of you for your responses, definitely made me a little more relaxed about buying now as I was basically ready to buy these tickets asap but just wanted to double check as even the nose bleed seats were pretty brutal.

I'll keep checking closer to the dates as you both mentioned and hopefully the prices start to drop a little.

Thanks again, very much appreciate the help

Cheers
Go Celtics!

I'm a STM and can tell you that I have been dropping prices over the past several weeks. Demand has been really soft. I always set prices highest at the beginning of the year and then raise or lower them based on demand. So I'm a sample size of one, but I think you have plenty of time.

Mike