Author Topic: Game 3 Starter and Nationals Ace, Max Scherzer pitches in relief in game 2  (Read 22591 times)

Re: Game 3 Starter and Nationals Ace, Max Scherzer pitches in relief in game 2
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 12:51:25 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
The MLB may have a very long regular season, which can make it difficult to keep up. However, there is no doubt in my mind, that they have the best postseason.

As far as Kershaw is concerned, he is a lock for the Hall of Fame. I blame the manager for the debacle last night. I don’t understand the mentality of suddenly changing how to use pitchers once the postseason arrives. Kershaw is a starter, so why bring him into a game for relief? Does he have a history of relieving, where he would prove to be better than an actual relief pitcher, particularly an 8th inning guy? And if the manager was so concerned about his bullpen, then why not bring in the closer, Jansen, to deal with the heart of the lineup in the 8th? Jansen has had 2 inning saves.

Definitely rooting for the Nationals going forward. I obviously hate the Yankees, so their out. I'm sick of the Cardinals. Will be rooting for Houston tonight, even though I can't stand them based on their arrogance. I would root for the Rays, but I don't think they have what it would take to beat the Yankees.

Um, tell that to Alex Cora and the 2018 WS Champs.  ::)

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 02:04:38 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Kershaw chokes again. Not a Hall of Famer in my book—not with as many playoffs debacles as he's had.

This is ridiculous.  He's going to be in the HOF. 

I didn't say he wouldn't be; I said he's not a HOFer in my book.

Ted Williams was 5/25 with 0 HR & 1 RBI in his only postseason appearance.  Should he be in the HOF based on this logic?

The Williams example, which others have used, really doesn't apply, because he was in only ONE postseason. Whereas Kershaw's been to the postseason in 9 of his 12 seasons, for a total of 32 games (25 starts) over a combined 16 series. For a pitcher, that basically equates to one whole season's worth of play, and a pitcher who has those kinds of numbers over a whole season is nowhere near HOF level. And mind you, these failures are on the biggest stage in the sport.

Kershaw might struggle in the playoffs but he's played at a HOF level for the bulk of his career.
[/quote]

There's no "might" about it—Kershaw is 9-11 in his postseason career with a 4.43 ERA, 1.105 WHIP, and a WPA of NEGATIVE .05, the latter meaning the Dodgers actually have a slightly better chance of losing than of winning anytime Kershaw takes the mound. Kershaw has a lot of talent, but he's proven that when the lights get brighter and hotter, he wilts, which doesn't say "Hall of Fame" to me. 

I realize that this discussion is moot; of course he's gonna be in the Hall of Fame, likely on his first try. And it's not like I have a vote anyway. But things have kinda reached the point of absurdity with him, where's he literally two different players, depending on the time of year. Like, when they vote him in, they should make it clear that they're inducting "regular-season Kershaw" into the hall, because "postseason Kershaw" is a far cry from HOF level.

So, yeah, he'll get in. But when I think of Kershaw the baseball player, the first thing that comes to mind is "playoff choker," and that's primarily what all of my Dodger-fan friends here in L.A. think too.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2019, 02:11:59 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The MLB may have a very long regular season, which can make it difficult to keep up. However, there is no doubt in my mind, that they have the best postseason.

As far as Kershaw is concerned, he is a lock for the Hall of Fame. I blame the manager for the debacle last night. I don’t understand the mentality of suddenly changing how to use pitchers once the postseason arrives. Kershaw is a starter, so why bring him into a game for relief? Does he have a history of relieving, where he would prove to be better than an actual relief pitcher, particularly an 8th inning guy? And if the manager was so concerned about his bullpen, then why not bring in the closer, Jansen, to deal with the heart of the lineup in the 8th? Jansen has had 2 inning saves.

Definitely rooting for the Nationals going forward. I obviously hate the Yankees, so their out. I'm sick of the Cardinals. Will be rooting for Houston tonight, even though I can't stand them based on their arrogance. I would root for the Rays, but I don't think they have what it would take to beat the Yankees.

Um, tell that to Alex Cora and the 2018 WS Champs.  ::)

I know it worked for the Red Sox last year, but it was more out of having a lack of a quality bullpen. And a big part of why the Red Sox didn’t make the playoffs was because management thought investing in the bullpen wasn’t necessary if they could just use their starters again in the playoffs.

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2019, 02:12:22 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Kershaw chokes again. Not a Hall of Famer in my book—not with as many playoffs debacles as he's had.

Ted Williams was 5/25 with 0 HR & 1 RBI in his only postseason appearance.  Should he be in the HOF based on this logic?

The Williams example, which others have used, really doesn't apply, because he was in only ONE postseason. Whereas Kershaw's been to the postseason in 9 of his 12 seasons, for a total of 32 games (25 starts) over a combined 16 series. For a pitcher, that basically equates to one whole season's worth of play, and a pitcher who has those kinds of numbers over a whole season is nowhere near HOF level. And mind you, these failures are on the biggest stage in the sport.

Kershaw might struggle in the playoffs but he's played at a HOF level for the bulk of his career.

There's no "might" about it—Kershaw is 9-11 in his postseason career with a 4.43 ERA, 1.105 WHIP, and a WPA of NEGATIVE .05, the latter meaning the Dodgers actually have a slightly better chance of losing than of winning anytime Kershaw takes the mound. Kershaw has a lot of talent, but he's proven that when the lights get brighter and hotter, he wilts, which doesn't say "Hall of Fame" to me. 

I realize that this discussion is moot; of course he's gonna be in the Hall of Fame, likely on his first try. And it's not like I have a vote anyway. But things have kinda reached the point of absurdity with him, where's he literally two different players, depending on the time of year. Like, when they vote him in, they should make it clear that they're inducting "regular-season Kershaw" into the hall, because "postseason Kershaw" is a far cry from HOF level.

So, yeah, he'll get in. But when I think of Kershaw the baseball player, the first thing that comes to mind is "playoff choker," and that's primarily what all of my Dodger-fan friends here in L.A. think too.

I'm saying plenty of HOFers have underachieved in the playoffs.  That's the larger point I was making there.  I'm certainly not disagreeing on how he sucks in the playoffs (relative to reg season).  Well aware of the numbers. 

In the long run, it doesn't matter.  He's going to be in the HOF.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 02:18:48 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2019, 03:39:46 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I'm saying plenty of HOFers have underachieved in the playoffs.  That's the larger point I was making there.  I'm certainly not disagreeing on how he sucks in the playoffs (relative to reg season).  Well aware of the numbers. 

In the long run, it doesn't matter.  He's going to be in the HOF.

I am genuinely curious as to whether any HOFer/future HOF has struggled as much as he has in the postseason.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 10:56:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Two innings left in Game 7.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 11:25:25 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
To the 9th.

What a totally loony bin World Series.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2019, 12:01:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The home team lost all seven games. I doubt we see that happen again any time soon.

Remarkable resilience by Washington. Maybe the Ewing Theory should be the Bryce Harper Theory.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2019, 12:26:51 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Was watching on the Jumbotron at Nationals Park.  The crowd stood after Kendrick’s homer put them up in the 7th and never sat back down.  DC will be a happy town tomorrow!

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2019, 12:41:47 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Another World Series win on the road!

Congrats to the Nationals. Glad the Yankees didn't make it in.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2019, 12:42:44 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Was watching on the Jumbotron at Nationals Park.  The crowd stood after Kendrick’s homer put them up in the 7th and never sat back down.  DC will be a happy town tomorrow!

Awesome!!!
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2019, 07:26:30 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The home team lost all seven games. I doubt we see that happen again any time soon.

Remarkable resilience by Washington. Maybe the Ewing Theory should be the Bryce Harper Theory.
Home teams 2019:
World Series 0-7
Stanley Cup Finals: 2-4
NBA Finals: 1-5

Yup

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2019, 07:35:08 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I'm a Mets fan living in the DMV.

I will most likely never hear the end of this from my co-workers/friends once I get back home from Korea...

Ugh....  >:( :o

Anyways congratulations to the Nationals. As much as it hurts and pains me to write it...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2019, 07:44:09 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm a Mets fan living in the DMV.

I will most likely never hear the end of this from my co-workers/friends once I get back home from Korea...

Ugh....  >:( :o

Anyways congratulations to the Nationals. As much as it hurts and pains me to write it...

Also a Mets fan in the DMV.  People are in a very good mood here for the first time in a while, so if you share their joy it’s a lot more fun.

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2019, 08:42:27 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Cool - I was there, too! I mean, I am a Red Sox fan, but am new to DC (splitting time between here and FL) and the park is like a half mile from our place. If I ever had to have a National League team, it was the Expos and I have half followed the Nats since they moved in '05 (often hitting a game when I was in town). It was a super exciting time to be here and I am happy for all of the fans!

Also, even though I don't find the Astros particularly unlikable, it was fun to root against them since they have been huge Sox rivals in recent years.