3 (5.7%)
Portland
0 (0%)
Houston
7 (13.2%)
Other
6 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Jimmy Butler (Merged Threads)  (Read 49475 times)

Re: Woj: rockets offer four 1st round picks for Butler
« Reply #390 on: October 26, 2018, 02:58:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25083858/houston-rockets-offer-wolves-four-first-round-draft-picks-jimmy-butler

That sounds good but for late 1st round picks isn't that big of a deal...
That is very good depending on the protections.  Good chance Butler doesn't even re-sign with Houston.  How good is Houston going to be in 2023, 2025 or even 2021 when Paul will be 36 and Harden will be 32?  They don't have any young talent besides Capela.  Even the 2019 pick could be better than expected.  Paul's missed 20+ games the past two seasons.
That CP3 contract is going to very quickly be the worst one in the NBA I reckon
Paying 36 year old players not named Lebron 40M+ isn't a good idea.  The Wall contract will probably be the worst.
Oh yeah, jeesh, forgot how insane Wall's contract is. $47.6m for 32-33 year old John Wall is insanity
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: Jimmy Butler (Merged Threads)
« Reply #391 on: October 26, 2018, 03:34:35 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

???

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #392 on: October 26, 2018, 03:49:49 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

???

valid point but getting Butler is the only solution for the Rockets since the Championship is their target. They are not going anywhere with this core and not getting any younger too (yes CP i am talking about you) . Losing Ariza and Moute has really hurt them

It is very risky but they don't have any other way of improving the team

« Reply #393 on: October 26, 2018, 06:12:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

???

valid point but getting Butler is the only solution for the Rockets since the Championship is their target. They are not going anywhere with this core and not getting any younger too (yes CP i am talking about you) . Losing Ariza and Moute has really hurt them

It is very risky but they don't have any other way of improving the team
Agree with this. A trade like this for Butler gives them a chance at a championship. A chance they don't have with the inefficient choking chucker Gordon.

« Reply #394 on: October 26, 2018, 07:12:27 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Jimmy Butler and Mike D'Antoni do not seem like a good fit to me. Butler does not play offensively in a way that works for D'Antoni's offense. Throw in Carmelo Anthony on top of that and the Rockets offense will struggle to have the chemistry / cohesion of previous years.

Two guys (Harden, CP3) who want to play D'Antoni ball.
Two guys (Butler, Melo) who do not want to play D'Antoni ball.

Only 1 ball. 4 guys who need it. None who will play happily / effectively without it.

All guys who will break the offense to get their touches / shots.

« Reply #395 on: October 26, 2018, 03:10:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Jimmy Butler and Mike D'Antoni do not seem like a good fit to me. Butler does not play offensively in a way that works for D'Antoni's offense. Throw in Carmelo Anthony on top of that and the Rockets offense will struggle to have the chemistry / cohesion of previous years.

Only 1 ball. 4 guys who need it. None who will play happily / effectively without it.

What Carmelo wants at this point is fairly irrelevant. He is a bench player and not part of their future. They can cut him if he becomes an issue.

« Reply #396 on: October 26, 2018, 03:59:45 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Miami has re-engaged the Wolves after the report that the Rockets put 4 firsts on the table.  Minnesota apparently doesn't want to trade Butler to a team in the West and hasn't really engaged Houston, though that may be in part because they likely can't do a trade until next week anyway (when they can include Knight and Chriss).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #397 on: October 26, 2018, 05:36:13 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!

Morey laughs at chemistry and fit. Just go get the best guy he says  ::)

« Reply #398 on: October 26, 2018, 06:29:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Miami has re-engaged the Wolves after the report that the Rockets put 4 firsts on the table.  Minnesota apparently doesn't want to trade Butler to a team in the West and hasn't really engaged Houston, though that may be in part because they likely can't do a trade until next week anyway (when they can include Knight and Chriss).

Where does Miami rank in east with Butler?

« Reply #399 on: October 26, 2018, 06:36:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Where does Miami rank in east with Butler?
Depends a lot on what they give up

« Reply #400 on: October 26, 2018, 06:42:53 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
My guess is that Minnesota doesnt want to trade him to an Western Conference team
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #401 on: October 26, 2018, 07:54:19 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Due to the restriction on trading consecutive year picks, it would have to be picks in 2019, 2021, 2023 and 2025.

« Reply #402 on: October 26, 2018, 09:24:29 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
though i may incorrect, i believe teams are not allowed to trade draft picks more than 5 years out.

so the deal might have resembled the boston-brooklyn deal and had first round swaps involved. or, maybe they have more than one pick in one of those years. then, trading would be all right.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #403 on: October 26, 2018, 10:43:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
though i may incorrect, i believe teams are not allowed to trade draft picks more than 5 years out.

so the deal might have resembled the boston-brooklyn deal and had first round swaps involved. or, maybe they have more than one pick in one of those years. then, trading would be all right.
it is 7 years, so unless a team has other picks that can be traded they could only trade at most 4 picks (it may only be 3 if they can't trade the current year).  So for Houston the picks are 2019, 2021, 2023, and 2025.  If any of the picks have protections that end up not transferring, then the 2025 pick would have to become a 2nd rounder since it has to convey that year (i.e. 7 years out).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #404 on: October 26, 2018, 11:45:45 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

it is 7 years, so unless a team has other picks that can be traded they could only trade at most 4 picks (it may only be 3 if they can't trade the current year).  So for Houston the picks are 2019, 2021, 2023, and 2025.  If any of the picks have protections that end up not transferring, then the 2025 pick would have to become a 2nd rounder since it has to convey that year (i.e. 7 years out).
thanks for the information and a tp for your vast knowledge of the nba.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva