Author Topic: If Klay is out for year, what do the warriors do?  (Read 3694 times)

Re: If Klay is out for year, what do the warriors do?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 12:50:32 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
My goodness was this one helluva way to end a dynasty. Steph must be glad there was no Game 7, he probably would’ve shattered an ankle or two.

Tonight, the Basketball Gods decided enough was enough or the Warriors.

Now they will have to pay through the nose a tax bill that’s never been seen for probably a lost season with the hope that they can get two guys back and attempt to regain prominence.

Otherwise, let both go and go into purgatory for several years (I suppose Steph-Draymond-Cousins would be decent enough to make playoffs and maybe win a series).

Either way, this dynasty came to a booming halt, and probable emphatic end.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 01:02:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I wonder if they roll the dice and do a 1 yr max deal with cousins
They cannot give him a max deal, they have no bird rights and no realistic way to cap space. So they'd need to use either early-bird rights or some other exception to give him another deal.

Unless you think they will just let Klay go (and KD would also have to leave).
where do you think cousins goes? I wonder if knicks roll the dice if they lose the sweepstakes on the other guys

i think he really really wants to stay with GS ....he seems to have found a coach and team he can contain himself for.   I think he will resign for less money to stay a Warrior.

i think the Laker s are depending on getting Kyrie and Davis ....if not they might not even get Cousins or Bulter.....who wants to be stuck in LA with that disfunctional clown act
I disagree, that coach told him he was benched in game 5.

He'll want a place where he can have a bigger role and money. Now if Klay/KD are both down maybe he'd do another 1 year deal if no one offers up a decent contract.

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 01:04:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I wonder if they roll the dice and do a 1 yr max deal with cousins
They cannot give him a max deal, they have no bird rights and no realistic way to cap space. So they'd need to use either early-bird rights or some other exception to give him another deal.

Unless you think they will just let Klay go (and KD would also have to leave).
where do you think cousins goes? I wonder if knicks roll the dice if they lose the sweepstakes on the other guys

i think he really really wants to stay with GS ....he seems to have found a coach and team he can contain himself for.   I think he will resign for less money to stay a Warrior.

i think the Laker s are depending on getting Kyrie and Davis ....if not they might not even get Cousins or Bulter.....who wants to be stuck in LA with that disfunctional clown act
I disagree, that coach told him he was benched in game 5.

He'll want a place where he can have a bigger role and money. Now if Klay/KD are both down maybe he'd do another 1 year deal if no one offers up a decent contract.
Yeah, I don't see Boogie sticking around unless he knows he's going to get a lot more touches, and it's only for one year. He can't make himself worth being on the court unless he's scoring, because his defence is so terrible
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 01:05:48 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
And I thought that lineup would have been the end for the NBA

Curry/Thompson/Durant/Green/Cousins.

How the tables have turned...

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 01:06:01 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah Boogie can be a useful player, but he needs to be at least your third best option offensively. If he's not he's a backup.

I think he'll prioritize money, if he doesn't get what he feels he's worth I could see him returning to GSW but that's the only way it would happen.

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 01:14:14 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Seems pretty straight forward.  Offer them both Max but get some injury protection especially for KD.  Since they're under contract with GSW, insurance should offset most of the salary cost if they miss next season. 

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 01:16:59 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
double post.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 01:23:15 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 01:19:02 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
And I thought that lineup would have been the end for the NBA

Curry/Thompson/Durant/Green/Cousins.

How the tables have turned...

Funny how that works huh?  Almost like the basketball gods said, yeah that's enough....time to move on.

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 01:24:35 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
They should max out Klay. Even if it's an ACL tear (worst case scenario), surely he can come back the as the same guy. So does Kevin Durant. Just think of it as the first year of his contract as compensation for the image hit, the discounts, the injury, and the two rings he gave Golden State.

In the meantime, they should go and sign Reggie Bullock and Jeff Green.

Bullock is no Klay Thompson by any means, but his shooting is above average, and he is about the same size. As for Jeff Green, motor is and has always been an issue, but he still can go, on both ends. 

As a stop gap, and for the cheap, they are decent pieces.

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 01:31:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
They should max out Klay. Even if it's an ACL tear (worst case scenario), surely he can come back the as the same guy. So does Kevin Durant. Just think of it as the first year of his contract as compensation for the image hit, the discounts, the injury, and the two rings he gave Golden State.

Bullock is no Klay Thompson by any means, but his shooting is above average, and he is about the same size. As for Jeff Green, motor is and has always been an issue, but he still can go, on both ends. 

I dunno about KD coming back the same, if that's what you meant. Only guy I can think of who came back the same from an achilles was Dominique, and he had played a considerably lesser number of games

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2019, 01:33:42 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I dunno about KD coming back the same, if that's what you meant. Only guy I can think of who came back the same from an achilles was Dominique, and he had played a considerably lesser number of games

Yes, he might not be the same, but 80% of Kevin Durant is still easily a top 30 player in the league. His explosiveness might be gone, but he can still shoot, he can still score on the post and can probably still defend at a decent rate.

And moving to a new stadium, it's still a sound business move. Fans would still want to see Kevin Durant play.

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2019, 01:36:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yes, he might not be the same, but 80% of Kevin Durant is still easily a top 30 player in the league. His explosiveness might be gone, but he can still shoot, he can still score on the post and can probably still defend at a decent rate.

And moving to a new stadium, it's still a sound business move. Fans would still want to see Kevin Durant play.
Oh yeah, he'll still probably be a skinny KAT type of guy on offence or something. It's just a brutal amount of tax for them to pay for what will be a pretty ugly '19-'20 season with a 31 year-old Curry and a 29 year-old Draymond

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2019, 02:28:22 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Oh yeah, he'll still probably be a skinny KAT type of guy on offence or something. It's just a brutal amount of tax for them to pay for what will be a pretty ugly '19-'20 season with a 31 year-old Curry and a 29 year-old Draymond

They'd have to that anyway, or the fans will riot.

Especially when you're moving to a new stadium, the last thing you want is negative fan backlash. And they would look bad if they don't even attempt to max out either Klay or KD.

They'd have to swallow that big tax bill despite having what could be a lost season. They'd still probably make a profit regardless.

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2019, 02:42:48 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
First question is whether Durant opts in. I think if anyone offers the absolute max he'd take it for insurance and ask the team to build for the following season. If he does that you probably max out Klay but perhaps with a team not player option at the end?

Tbh I don't think that changes based on Durant... So yeah max him anyway and build long term

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2019, 02:47:05 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

They'd have to that anyway, or the fans will riot.

Especially when you're moving to a new stadium, the last thing you want is negative fan backlash. And they would look bad if they don't even attempt to max out either Klay or KD.

They'd have to swallow that big tax bill despite having what could be a lost season. They'd still probably make a profit regardless.