Author Topic: Celtics ‘Interested’ In Olynyk?  (Read 5375 times)

Re: Celtics ‘Interested’ In Olynyk?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2023, 02:44:35 AM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
In reality, he will be on Miami and will hit a game winner to eliminate us in the ECF.  :laugh:
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2023, 05:10:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
Non rebounding 7 ft sissy …no thanks

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2023, 08:11:07 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
A trade could be done, but it would be Pritchard, Kornet, and 3 of the other guys (Brissett, Svi, Banton, Stevens). Seems like a lot, though it could be softened with a 2nd trade using the TPE where Boston gets Dunn and Yurtseven or someone else.
Yeah way too much to give up plus team playing great..buyout candidates might be our best bet
I guess it just depends on what you think of Dunn vs. Pritchard and KO vs. Kornet.  Is the upgrade to KO worth the downgrade to Dunn.  May not be, but I don't think it is quite so clear cut either.
Pritchard’s improved performance lately make this idea much harder to swallow. That said, I really like the idea of bringing KO back to give the team a solid 3-vet center rotation.
It would, but Dunn is shooting ok (37.5% this year after 47.2% last year - in much fewer attempts) and Dunn is a much better passer than PP so provides a slightly different wrinkle.  PP is obviously better, but KO is also obviously better than Kornet.
I agree and IMO, the hole at 3rd center is bigger than the hole that would be created at 3rd PG. Besides Dunn, you would also still have Banton and JB can play off-guard with either Holiday or White at PG.

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2023, 09:00:18 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
A trade could be done, but it would be Pritchard, Kornet, and 3 of the other guys (Brissett, Svi, Banton, Stevens). Seems like a lot, though it could be softened with a 2nd trade using the TPE where Boston gets Dunn and Yurtseven or someone else.
Yeah way too much to give up plus team playing great..buyout candidates might be our best bet
I guess it just depends on what you think of Dunn vs. Pritchard and KO vs. Kornet.  Is the upgrade to KO worth the downgrade to Dunn.  May not be, but I don't think it is quite so clear cut either.
Pritchard’s improved performance lately make this idea much harder to swallow. That said, I really like the idea of bringing KO back to give the team a solid 3-vet center rotation.
It would, but Dunn is shooting ok (37.5% this year after 47.2% last year - in much fewer attempts) and Dunn is a much better passer than PP so provides a slightly different wrinkle.  PP is obviously better, but KO is also obviously better than Kornet.
I agree and IMO, the hole at 3rd center is bigger than the hole that would be created at 3rd PG. Besides Dunn, you would also still have Banton and JB can play off-guard with either Holiday or White at PG.

Except you’re also trading a guy who’s under a reasonable contract for 4.5 seasons for likely the prime of his career (age 26-30) for someone who’s on an expiring deal and turns 33 this summer.  The team upgrade is marginal at best this year, but it’s a bad deal for the long run.

The Celtics are kicking the tires on Olynyk now to see his price so they can make a quick deal if Porzingis or Al suffer a significant injury in the next 6 weeks, and also to put out a signal to Olynyk that there’s a place for him in Boston in the buyout period should it come to that.  They aren’t going to trade a rotation player who’s under a long-term deal for a maybe-rotation player who’s an expiring when the relative quality is similar, or at least not with the team playing so well.

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2023, 10:38:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558

Except you’re also trading a guy who’s under a reasonable contract for 4.5 seasons for likely the prime of his career (age 26-30) for someone who’s on an expiring deal and turns 33 this summer.  The team upgrade is marginal at best this year, but it’s a bad deal for the long run.

The Celtics are kicking the tires on Olynyk now to see his price so they can make a quick deal if Porzingis or Al suffer a significant injury in the next 6 weeks, and also to put out a signal to Olynyk that there’s a place for him in Boston in the buyout period should it come to that.  They aren’t going to trade a rotation player who’s under a long-term deal for a maybe-rotation player who’s an expiring when the relative quality is similar, or at least not with the team playing so well.
Boston needs to go all in right now given the age and contract situations of the top 6.  If you can upgrade the back end of the rotation now at the expense of the future back end of the rotation you do it.  I don't think it is a given that trade improves the rotation right now, but it is arguable and why it should be considered.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2023, 10:41:29 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar

Boston needs to go all in right now given the age and contract situations of the top 6.  If you can upgrade the back end of the rotation now at the expense of the future back end of the rotation you do it.  I don't think it is a given that trade improves the rotation right now, but it is arguable and why it should be considered.
I think we hear the first sentence a lot, but I do think the bolded is a very reasonable point and something we can all agree on - series aren't usually won and lost on the 7-10 guys on the roster, but sometimes they can help you pull out a game or two.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2023, 10:52:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558

I think we hear the first sentence a lot, but I do think the bolded is a very reasonable point and something we can all agree on - series aren't usually won and lost on the 7-10 guys on the roster, but sometimes they can help you pull out a game or two.
plus it helps more with injuries and lost days from the starters.  That trade comes down to philosophy i.e. would you rather have the better 3rd big or the better 3rd(4th) guard.  I'd probably go with the big if for no other reason it us a lot easier to find a capable guard in the buy out market
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2023, 11:22:51 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

plus it helps more with injuries and lost days from the starters.  That trade comes down to philosophy i.e. would you rather have the better 3rd big or the better 3rd(4th) guard.  I'd probably go with the big if for no other reason it us a lot easier to find a capable guard in the buy out market
Agreed, and that's essentially the same thing I said (disappeared in this reply):

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2023, 12:30:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Feels like this came from the Jazz looking to get better offers when you consider the possible Boston packages.

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2023, 01:57:53 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Feels like this came from the Jazz looking to get better offers when you consider the possible Boston packages.

What if Boston were to trade Banton, Walsh & multiple 2nd round picks for Kris Dunn. Then after the trade deadline passes, Utah buys out Olynyk’s contract, who then signs with the Celtics.

Would this be considered illegally circumventing the salary cap?
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2023, 02:05:20 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991

What if Boston were to trade Banton, Walsh & multiple 2nd round picks for Kris Dunn. Then after the trade deadline passes, Utah buys out Olynyk’s contract, who then signs with the Celtics.

Yes, assuming there were some agreement between the Celtics and Jazz that Olynyk would be bought out.

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2023, 03:30:07 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

Yes, assuming there were some agreement between the Celtics and Jazz that Olynyk would be bought out.

[dang], I thought so.

TP for the clarification.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine