Author Topic: Did We Really Fleece the Nets?...  (Read 6522 times)

Re: Did We Really Fleece the Nets?...
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2021, 09:07:44 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Absolutely.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2021, 09:11:53 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
The OP is just trying to elicit a strong reaction. Obviously we fleeced the Nets, but they weren't really punished for getting fleeced. Because they are in one of the two markets players actually want to be in, they were able to sign two superstars for free w/ another demanding a trade only there. The same thing happened with both LA teams over the last couple of years. If we completed the same trade w/ say, the T-Wolves, they would be still be in utter despair right now.

We look at all of those teams and say 'I can't believe they gave up all of those picks.' But, 1) it was totally worth it since they already signed superstar FAs, and 2) they can just go out and sign superstar FAs again if it doesn't work out...and for LAL, it already totally worked out.

I might just say, one of three markets; LA, Miami, NYC.  Just for reference though, if no one has been to ATL, I love that city and area, would be near the top for me.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2021, 10:05:52 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Danny fleeced the Nets. Without any inside knowledge, it seems as if other teams have been far more reluctant to trade with Danny since then. The only big trade that I can remember since was when Kyrie demanded out of Cleveland.

Did that Nets trade influence potential free agents into thinking Danny knows what he’s doing and has a long term plan? Did those free agents want to be part of that plan? After not being a free agent destination, the Celtics were in serious discussions with Kevin Durant. They actually were able to acquire Al Horford, Gordon Hayward, and Kemba Walker, who were near the top free agents in their class. Kyrie approved a trade to Boston. Obviously, those moves didn’t bring a title, but the team has been a contender for years now.

This is the first year the Nets have been considered as contenders, but the playoffs haven’t even started yet and that team may implode by then. After trading for Harden, I’m not sure if Kyrie remains with the Nets. Rumor has it, the Nets only signed Kyrie because the team wanted KD. Now that KD is on the team, he is their top priority. Maybe the Nets trade Kyrie now and try to get back some first round picks.

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2021, 10:22:00 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Danny fleeced the Nets. Without any inside knowledge, it seems as if other teams have been far more reluctant to trade with Danny since then. The only big trade that I can remember since was when Kyrie demanded out of Cleveland.

Did that Nets trade influence potential free agents into thinking Danny knows what he’s doing and has a long term plan? Did those free agents want to be part of that plan? After not being a free agent destination, the Celtics were in serious discussions with Kevin Durant. They actually were able to acquire Al Horford, Gordon Hayward, and Kemba Walker, who were near the top free agents in their class. Kyrie approved a trade to Boston. Obviously, those moves didn’t bring a title, but the team has been a contender for years now.

This is the first year the Nets have been considered as contenders, but the playoffs haven’t even started yet and that team may implode by then. After trading for Harden, I’m not sure if Kyrie remains with the Nets. Rumor has it, the Nets only signed Kyrie because the team wanted KD. Now that KD is on the team, he is their top priority. Maybe the Nets trade Kyrie now and try to get back some first round picks.

Maybe, but where could Kyrie go and fit that salary in that would trust him enough to invest picks or a player?

Kyrie's just an unhappy soul.

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2021, 10:46:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Maybe, but where could Kyrie go and fit that salary in that would trust him enough to invest picks or a player?

Kyrie's just an unhappy soul.

Yeah, he can’t fit in anywhere as the leader of a team. He just doesn’t have it in him.

At the same time, he was unhappy with LeBron, and he seems to be having a hard time on the Nets next to Durant.

Of course, never say never. Kyrie is uber-talented.  James Harden is a headcase, too, and he brought back four #1s plus pick swaps and Caris LeVert.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2021, 10:58:32 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I know Lebron is a Cs rival but, man, I have no idea how he kept a team that had Kyrie, JR Smith, K Love etc in check mentally and actually win a finals series. Dude must be some sort of Dr. Phil extraordinaire in the locker room.

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2021, 11:06:50 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I know Lebron is a Cs rival but, man, I have no idea how he kept a team that had Kyrie, JR Smith, K Love etc in check mentally and actually win a finals series. Dude must be some sort of Dr. Phil extraordinaire in the locker room.

He led a team of prickly personalities last year, too.  D12, Rondo, Smith, Waiters, Markieff, DMC for awhile.  Sure, they were all role players, but nobody made a peep.  It’s an underrated talent of his.

He can’t save every team — the post-Kyrie Cavs were a chemistry disaster, and Lebron played a part — but he’s way better than most.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2021, 11:27:11 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
We’ve been to 3 ECF since the trade. They’ve been to zero. We have 2 under-25 studs, a perennial all-star in Kemba, proven vet role players, and a couple promising young players.

Nets haven’t done anything in the playoffs since the trade and had three stars collude to get together.

One was strategy, the other was happenstance. Ainge broke up his aging team and built it from the ground up on the backbone of that trade. I doubt King said let’s shoot our shot now because we will have 3 superstars come here in 8 years.

Regardless of what happens in the coming years, it’s one of the most lopsided trades in NBA history.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2021, 11:54:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Or he is just that good on the basketball court.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2021, 12:48:10 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Why can't it be both ???
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2021, 12:49:37 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
He led a team of prickly personalities last year, too.  D12, Rondo, Smith, Waiters, Markieff, DMC for awhile.  Sure, they were all role players, but nobody made a peep.  It’s an underrated talent of his.

He can’t save every team — the post-Kyrie Cavs were a chemistry disaster, and Lebron played a part — but he’s way better than most.
And he still managed to drag that post-Kyrie Cavs team to the finals even with a busted dressing room - that run is a testament to how crazy his blend of on court greatness and off-court leadership is.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2021, 03:23:57 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Someone else can check my math but I believe in the 7+ seasons since the trade, the Celtics are 326-249 (.567) and the Nets are 235-342 (.407). The Celtics have won 37 playoff games, the Nets have won 8.

It seems a stretch to me to judge a trade by the position the teams are in 8 years after the deal but let's look at this season: The Celtics have the best record in the East early in the season and two of the best under 25 players in the league while the Nets are super talented with a roster that includes two of the most troublesome stars in the NBA.

Yeah, the Celtics fleeced the Nets in the trade.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 11:03:55 AM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2021, 03:56:38 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Why can't it be both ???

If Draymond Green didn't get suspended, they would've lost in 5 games. It was more about the Warriors choking though.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2021, 11:31:32 PM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
We did but its gonna be hilarious when they win a title before Danny anyways.  He is starting to be a loser gm that worries only about being  marginallycompetitive for ownership and attendance revenue.

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2021, 10:29:14 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Food for thought: In the absence of the trade with the Nets, perhaps we make 1-2 more mediocre runs with KG/Pierce/Rondo followed by a complete demolition/rebuild that still results in us eventually securing 2-3 of the following: Simmons, Ingram, or Jaylen; Tatum; Doncic.

Ultimately, what is different? 2-3 conference championship appearances? No Kyrie drama? Perhaps instead of those it would have been better to see PP/KG retire as Celtics followed by having an even better young core today...