Author Topic: Raef more valuable than Amare?  (Read 5914 times)

Re: Raef more valuable than Amare?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 11:22:07 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm still waiting for the day a crap player with "bird" rights gets a one year, max deal to be used as an asset come the trade deadline... :o

"Base Year Compensation" makes it hard to do that, if it's a scrub you're giving a big raise.

If it's a scrub who is already coming off of a huge salary, then it's not as much of a problem.  You already saw deals like this happening with last year's Jason Kidd deal, when I think Keith Van Horn was given a nice chunk of change for nothing.

Roy, let's say the C's wanted to do this with Scal after his contract expires in 2010... How much could they give him for a single year?

We can give Scal any raise we want, but to stay within BYC restrictions in the first year, we could only sign him to a 20% raise (i.e., a salary of $4,096,552).  Any larger raise, and it makes him difficult to trade.

Rookies are subject to the same rules, essentially.  If they get more than a 20% bump, they're very difficult to trade in their first year, when they are subject to the BYC rules.

You can find more info here:  http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q73  The gist of it is that it's very difficult to make salaries work when dealing with BYC, especially in terms of players with large salaries (whereas a guy with a smaller BYC contract, like Tony Allen, could be traded more easily).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 12:21:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Bill Simmons had this to say:

You know who was mentioned in more "Where do you think he's going?" scenarios than anyone besides Amare Stoudemire? Raef LaFrentz's Expiring Contract. That thing got mentioned so many times it could have hired a PR staff and an agent. Here's the kicker: Raef can't play. He's a basketball invalid. He has been injured since something like 1973. Portland's insurance company repays the Blazers his entire season's salary, making him a cap figure and nothing else. In the No Benjamins Association, that makes him a freaking commodity. Teams wanted to dump clearly superior players on Portland at the deadline just to get Raef's insurance money. Phoenix would have traded Shaq for Raef and Channing Frye's expiring contract in a heartbeat. Jersey supposedly offered Vince Carter and two protected No. 1's for Raef's contract, and Milwaukee supposedly would have given up Richard Jefferson and either Joe Alexander or a future No. 1 for it. Incredibly, the Blazers turned everyone down. And this is a team bankrolled by Paul Allen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090227

That's crazy if the Blazers turned those deals down.  Things are a mess right now, and they won't be getting better in the short term.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 12:24:18 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Vince Carter and two protected 1st round picks?  Are you kiddin' me?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 12:28:35 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167

Paul Allen is a wealthy dude. He must have lost a significant chunk of money because of the recession to hold off on an offer like that. Conversely, wouldn't you want an established star to draw more ticket revenue? I think the potential to profit off Raef's expiring contract with a guy like VC would have given him some incentive to OK that deal.

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 01:06:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I don't believe that offer wasn't on the table.

That offer was what Portland was asking for, not what NJ was willing to give up.

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 02:52:42 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
It's looking more and more like I will be wrong... Ray's expiring next season is NBA gold and will allow the Celtics to stay competitive for a longgggggg time.

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 02:56:43 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 02:57:25 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
It's looking more and more like I will be wrong... Ray's expiring next season is NBA gold and will allow the Celtics to stay competitive for a longgggggg time.

What makes you think the C's will trade him and eat salaries?