Author Topic: Do other GMs avoid Danny Ainge's calls now?  (Read 2788 times)

Do other GMs avoid Danny Ainge's calls now?
« on: May 12, 2018, 01:49:02 PM »

Offline Kevins Gamble

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
After the Great Fleecing of New Jersey, I'm sure plenty of other GMs weren't anxious to deal with Danny Ainge.  However, eventually I'm sure they correctly surmised the deal said more about Billy King than Danny Ainge and things floated back to normal.

However, now that we're seeing the results of the Tatum/Fultz trade (and the Kyrie/Nets pick trade depending on how you view that one)....is there a significant number of GMs who either don't want to deal with Danny Ainge and risk getting the executive version of "posterized" by him...their name eternally linked in some wikipedia article that makes them look like the idiot DA was playing with.  Or do they ask for unreasonably more in return from the Celtics just to make sure they're not getting played?

I ask because when I heard Wyc taking credit for getting the two additional picks from New Jersey and that Danny was totally fine with only two first round picks....I immediately thought this was a strategy to tell the league that "Hey Danny can be dealt with...he can be had....at least speak with him....the only thing you had to look out for is the owner getting involved at the end".

Is Ainge already shopping Rozier or others in a large trade and either finding doors shut or absurd requests?  Was this comment by the owner strategic or innocent...I had never heard it before now...
"AAAAAHAHAAAAHHAAA....take that with your beard....AAAAHHHHAAHHHAAHHAAH..YAAAHHHAHAHAH!!!"
- Cedric Maxwell, Esq

Re: Do other GMs avoid Danny Ainge's calls now?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 02:07:49 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I don't  think so. At the time it looked like a fair  deal because we had to take on the contract of Wallace, and the nets looked like they would be contenders in the near future. Other GMs know this. It was a fair deal at the time and I don't think other GMs think even Danny believed the picks would be high lottery picks

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 02:10:00 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
ummm... we're in the eastern conference finals.  I'm pretty sure he's not on the phone shopping anyone right now.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 02:13:44 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
ummm... we're in the eastern conference finals.  I'm pretty sure he's not on the phone shopping anyone right now.
he doesn't mean literally right now

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 02:42:16 PM »

Offline Kevins Gamble

• Joe Mazzulla
he doesn't mean literally right now

Correct...he's not trying to trade anyone right now.  I'm suggesting that any team we're gonna want to trade with has already ended their season and are now spending more time preparing for the draft and off-season than watching the remaining four teams in the playoffs.  Now would be the right time to begin gauging interest and planting seeds on potential trades than waiting until they all fall in love with "their guy" in the upcoming draft and can't be talked out of relinquishing it for any reasonable cost.
I'm wondering if the recent run of DA transaction "wins" has him asking (for example) the Magic what it would take to get their pick from them and they're either asking for our entire team or not even responding to the ask...hence Wyc's comments.
"AAAAAHAHAAAAHHAAA....take that with your beard....AAAAHHHHAAHHHAAHHAAH..YAAAHHHAHAHAH!!!"
- Cedric Maxwell, Esq

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 02:45:53 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm sure MJ is regretting not dealing with Ainge.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 03:00:37 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
No, other GMs are not thinking this way. To do so would be an admission that Ainge is smarter than anyone else. Why would other GMs think this way?  They need to do their job to avoid getting fleeced, not assume it will happen.

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 06:47:34 PM »

Offline Kevins Gamble

• Joe Mazzulla
No, other GMs are not thinking this way. To do so would be an admission that Ainge is smarter than anyone else. Why would other GMs think this way?  They need to do their job to avoid getting fleeced, not assume it will happen.
I think you're mostly right (especially among younger GMs)...but I still think there could be an aversion to dealing with Danny all while not admitting (to yourself) he's smarter than you.  In every fantasy league, there is always 1-2 players that are way more committed, hitting everyone up for deals all the time and seem to always get the better of everyone else.  I don't remember thinking they were necessarily smarter than the rest of us, but I would often turn down deals because the mere fact they were asking meant they've probably uncovered some tidbit I hadn't figured out yet. 

I mean look at the celebrated history of dealing with Danny Ainge:  McHale worked with him and ended up giving him the key piece to bring Championship #17 to Boston, King dealt with him and gave him 4 lottery picks, Cleveland gave him Irving for what ended up being a late lottery pick, Philadelphia gave him Tatum and a lottery pick for the Markelle Fultz Psychosis Show.  If Danny texts you with a "great deal", are you saying there isn't a little part of you wondering if you're about to be the next GM on that list?

And Budweiser is exactly right...this along with Wyc saying Danny only wanted two picks from the Nets shows he's not perfect and that the wins will get much more attention then the almost catastrophic near misses (Winslow...Sebastian Telfair Danny...i still remember).
- Cedric Maxwell, Esq

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 06:50:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I mean, I'm pretty sure we had this debate in these forums a few years ago, but that didn't stop PHI from trading with us (#1 for #3 + Another 1st), nor did it stop Cleveland from trading with us (Irving).

Also, I think if SAS is serious about shopping Leonard (he's not willing to sign an extension), they'll CERTAINLY give Ainge a call to gauge interest. Celtics won't trade Brown or Tatum for him, but Spurs will still just ask I suppose.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 06:56:09 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I think you're mostly right (especially among younger GMs)...but I still think there could be an aversion to dealing with Danny all while not admitting (to yourself) he's smarter than you.  In every fantasy league, there is always 1-2 players that are way more committed, hitting everyone up for deals all the time and seem to always get the better of everyone else.  I don't remember thinking they were necessarily smarter than the rest of us, but I would often turn down deals because the mere fact they were asking meant they've probably uncovered some tidbit I hadn't figured out yet. 

I mean look at the celebrated history of dealing with Danny Ainge:  McHale worked with him and ended up giving him the key piece to bring Championship #17 to Boston, King dealt with him and gave him 4 lottery picks, Cleveland gave him Irving for what ended up being a late lottery pick, Philadelphia gave him Tatum and a lottery pick for the Markelle Fultz Psychosis Show.  If Danny texts you with a "great deal", are you saying there isn't a little part of you wondering if you're about to be the next GM on that list?

And Budweiser is exactly right...this along with Wyc saying Danny only wanted two picks from the Nets shows he's not perfect and that the wins will get much more attention then the almost catastrophic near misses (Winslow...Sebastian Telfair Danny...i still remember).

This isn't fantasy, it's the NBA.  All of these guys get paid to be on top of everything, in fantasy some people will barely even pay attention (or just quit in the middle of the season).  It isn't comparable. 

GM's have continued to deal with Danny despite his history, and they will continue to.  Unfortunately, though, that won't stop someone from making ANOTHER thread like this after the next deal, though
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 07:55:18 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
So the OP's premise is that GMs are so butthurt by Danny's winning streak on trades that they won't deal with him anymore?

This is the NBA, not Middle School and these guys are professionals, not a bunch of immature punks. Any GM will deal with Danny if they're getting what they want.

/thread
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 08:15:42 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
All I have to say is there is always a sucker. Ainge knows that.

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 08:24:55 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I ask because when I heard Wyc taking credit for getting the two additional picks from New Jersey and that Danny was totally fine with only two first round picks....I immediately thought this was a strategy to tell the league that "Hey Danny can be dealt with...he can be had....at least speak with him....the only thing you had to look out for is the owner getting involved at the end".

Is Ainge already shopping Rozier or others in a large trade and either finding doors shut or absurd requests?  Was this comment by the owner strategic or innocent...I had never heard it before now...

I've said this a million times on CB: If something regarding Ainge and a trade is in the media, it's because Ainge wants it to be there. I don't know what Ainge's plans are, but you can be darned sure that Wyc made that comment publicly for a reason.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 07:32:57 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If I am a GM I have no fear in Danny getting the better in a deal.
-Nets deal was a great one for the Nets it was their own players that let that team down not the guys they got. On paper it should have been a favorite to win a ring. C's got no good players back in that deal and a bad contract. They had to get lucky with those picks to make anything out of the deal.

-IT deal seemed great but IT never held up by getting hurt each year. So if you can't build around him but he gets far enough for a first round sweep it's not the goal of the C's.
-Irving deal is still being determined as Irving did in fact miss part the season even when being managed. IT elected not to get surgery till too late but Cavs flipped him already and still have a top ten pick.

-Fultz deal has more to do with Fultz than Tatum. Fultz is a mess right now but few people did not believe he should have been the #1 pick. That's just draft bad luck. What they gave up to get the concensus #1 was a crazy good deal.

So there was a lot of negatives C's took on each deal. Enough that I say any GM should be able to capitalize on a DA deal. You can't worry about how DA will flip those returns later either. Just make the best deal that helps your club.

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 12:26:42 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
absolutely not