Author Topic: If Rondo did one thing, he would be our franchise player.  (Read 3206 times)

Re: If Rondo did one thing, he would be our franchise player.
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 08:50:55 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
A franchise player needs to be able to take a shot.

I'd prefer my franchise players to make shots.

Rondo shot 46% on 2-pt FGs outside the paint last year, for his second straight year.

Chris Paul over that time frame: 45% last year, 49% in 2012-13.
Russell Westbrook: 47% last year, 39% in 2012-13.

All stats courtesy of vorped.

Except CP3 can create his own shot on he perimeter and has range out to the 3pt line. I'm sure he can also make more contested or tough shots and defenders don't just sag off of him. To even suggest rondo is a comparable shooter to Chris Paul is why we Celtic fans have such a bad reputation. Be able to respect and recognize other great players and their strengths.

CP's a very good perimeter shooter but he's not much of a threat to get into the lane. Both are reasons that teams wouldn't sag off of him. I don't think I'd take any slights on Celts fans compared to other fans very seriously either.

It's true I shouldn't take slights so harshly, but over on Reddit I get pretty sick of seeing Heat and Cavs fans talking about how entitled Celtic fans are

Great. Insults from LeBron groupies.

We all know Rondo has become better at taking and making open 2's when the D sags off, but to compare those kind of jumpers to the kind of jumpers that CP3 is counted on to make and does make seems kind of disingenuous to me. When it comes down to the wire tough shots often have to be made, and Chris Paul makes a lot of tough contested jumpers that I don't believe Rondo could be counted on to make. Much like Pierce used to do with us, CP3 carries that offense. So there is a difference in those shots that simply comparing 2pt% doesn't show, and its a big one.

True. CP is clearly the better outside shooter.