Author Topic: SI: Celtics could trade Brown+Hayward for Westbrook  (Read 13914 times)

Re: SI: Celtics could trade Brown+Hayward for Westbrook
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2019, 08:52:20 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
This is what happens when you have to crank out so many articles so quickly. He got assigned a Westbrook trade article and had to fill it out with some nonsense after the first two obvious possibilities.

I mean, I’d like to hope that the case.  But Westbrook is clearly on the block, Jaylen is up for a new deal next year, and I’d be absolutely shocked if Ainge hasn’t at least checked in on Westbrook’s availability.  I know for a darn-near certainty that Ainge explored a Westbrook-Isaiah trade a few summers ago, before Russ ultimately signed his pre-supermax extension.  And we know that Ainge will always prioritize talent, and much tho I love Jaylen, Russ is clearly the superior talent.

But Hayward-Brown doesn’t go far enough.  Try:

Hayward, Brown, Smart, Rob Williams, and Carsen Edwards for Russ and Adams.  That deal has Ainge and Presti written all over it, and then I become a thunder fan.
This is so weirdly pessimistic.

Anyways if Danny's problem is paying Jaylen a max contract, he isn't trading for the far larger max contract of a over thirty player on the decline whom plays the same position as his max FA acquisition.

We’d both like to think so, but... I’m just certain that despite everything you just said, Ainge has called about Russ.  And that deal starts at Hayward for salary and Brown or Tatum for the long-term.

You can make a reasonable argument that both Westbrook and Adams aren't worth anything because of their contracts. Westbrook in particular is one of the least championship focused superstars of the modern era. The proposed trade might be the worst in Celtics history.
If your goal is being a contender, I'd agree Westbrook isn't a positive.  I'd be disappointed if Ainge has called OKC about Westbrook. 

However if you are happy making the playoffs and having a star who puts people in the seats Westbrook can do that.  Teams like the Twolves, Magic and Hornets ought to consider it.  Teams that are stuck in place like the Wiz, Heat and Pistons ought to consider it. 

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2019, 08:58:25 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Just thinking about Brad trying to coach Westbrook.

He'd be so frustrated with the lack of ball movement, the standing around, the one pass or no pass possessions....

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2019, 09:21:26 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If we traded for Westbrook we're on a break.

WE'RE ON A BREAK.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2019, 09:42:13 AM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
Trading Brown and Hayward for Westbrook would be a colossal blunder. Barring injury, Gordon is going to have a breakout year. He WILL be our most valuable player b/c he is our best all around player. And I expect Brown will also have a breakout year, especially if we have good ball movement. Westbrook's contract is an albatross for any team. And Westbrook, despite his numbers and excellent supporting cast, has never been a winner. Westbrook would have to completely change his half court game to be a good fit in Stevens system. I hope Danny hasn't even contemplated this moronic trade.

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2019, 09:48:12 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I was expecting this to be an late April Fools joke. Absolutely no way Danny would ever make a trade like that.

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2019, 09:52:19 AM »

Offline DrinkinCelticKool-Aid

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 36
Danny isn't dumb. No way in hell.

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2019, 09:55:18 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm not sure I'd even trade Hayward for Westbrook straight up, the idea of trading Brown too is wild.

Had the Celtics not signed Kemba Walker, I think they would have 100% went after Westbrook. People are worried that Kemba will slow down the development of the Jays, I can't even imagine the outcry if we had traded for Westbrook.

On a side note, if Westbrook is dealt and they need a third team I wouldn't be surprised if Danny offered to be the third team to help facilitate a deal.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2019, 09:56:46 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Imagine how many shots Kemba and Westbrook would take a game. It would be a matter of time before Tatum requests to be traded as well. Has Westbrook ever brought a team together? I am getting sick thinking about that trade. Yes, I know Westbrook puts up amazing regular season numbers but I am looking for winners who excel in the postseason.

Paul George left him
Durant left him

We will mortgage our future to bring a player that other players seem to not want to play with? And it also sounds like Westbrook wants to be in Miami.

Rant over...:)

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2019, 10:15:42 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This is what happens when you have to crank out so many articles so quickly. He got assigned a Westbrook trade article and had to fill it out with some nonsense after the first two obvious possibilities.

I mean, I’d like to hope that the case.  But Westbrook is clearly on the block, Jaylen is up for a new deal next year, and I’d be absolutely shocked if Ainge hasn’t at least checked in on Westbrook’s availability.  I know for a darn-near certainty that Ainge explored a Westbrook-Isaiah trade a few summers ago, before Russ ultimately signed his pre-supermax extension.  And we know that Ainge will always prioritize talent, and much tho I love Jaylen, Russ is clearly the superior talent.

Hayward, Brown, Smart, Rob Williams, and Carsen Edwards for Russ and Adams.  That deal has Ainge and Presti written all over it, and then I become a thunder fan.

Stop it Danny. That haul for Westbrook is GM malpractice.

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2019, 10:18:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'd quite seriously have a cry if that deal went through
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2019, 10:19:23 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Stop it Danny. That haul for Westbrook is GM malpractice.

Just floating it to see what the fans think...

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2019, 10:23:03 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Idiotic to say the least.

Nothing about Westbrook screams "team player" plus the Celtics just acquired Kemba.  I don't see how they'd mesh at all.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2019, 10:23:41 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I really hope not.. but we all know Danny loves guards.

Danny may love guards, but he probably loves Chipotle more. If he makes this deal he probably gets banned from Chipotle.

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2019, 10:28:06 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I'd quite seriously have a cry if that deal went through

I would have no choice but to stop followings basketball until Danny was done as GM. I want no part of Westbrook. No way you can tie up 60+% of your cap on two non-top-10 players who play the same position.

I’d rather max out Brown than trade him and Hayward (who honestly could be a more valuable player) for Westbrook and that contract.

No thanks!
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2019, 10:29:48 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Ending up with Westbrook on the roster would make last year's team likable in comparison.

No thank you.