Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 120013 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]
« Reply #975 on: July 19, 2018, 10:31:53 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
YES!!!

FA officially began with us re-signing Baynes, and it almost ends with us re-signing Smart too! (yes, I acknowledge Capela and Melo are still out there)  ;D

Now hopefully Danny and the front office could work some magic to keep us under the tax another year. I trust they'll find a way  8)

LOVE the deal! Lock him up long term, and even if we do decide to trade for another star in the future.... that salary will be beneficial in facilitating a trade (it's something we had difficulty with this past summer in trade talks, since most of them would have required a max player OR BOTH Tatum + Brown in a package for $$$ purposes).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #976 on: July 19, 2018, 10:33:22 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

« Reply #977 on: July 19, 2018, 10:38:38 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
$13M/yr is a lot more than I thought he would get. He is obviously being paid on future potential rather than what he currently provides. Hopefully that contract is considered tradable because the Cs seemed to bidding against themselves.

I like Smart, I really do, but do not think it was worth it to go into the tax (or trade other valuable rotation players) to keep him above the QO. They could have essentially signed him for $15M/he next year if he just came back on the QO and still paid the same amount. Like I said, they must be banking on future potential on this deal.

« Reply #978 on: July 19, 2018, 10:41:52 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Pretty good deal for Boston compared to some of the guys money they got around the league. Plus it is a very tradable deal if need be.

« Reply #979 on: July 19, 2018, 10:43:33 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Not even surprised Shams broke the official news first and not Woj. Yet ESPN is like "sources first tell Woj", etc.  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #980 on: July 19, 2018, 10:44:27 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Let’s GO!!!!!!!
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #981 on: July 19, 2018, 10:44:59 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Signing Marcus to close to what he believes he is worth was a great move. He is the heart of this team and shows we are committed to our players. No one can blame us for KI and IT. Any basketball fan knows that was a win for the Celtics. I am hopeful Marcus will stay healthy and him to find his shot too ala Jason Kidd later in his career. Love his heart; It is contagious.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #982 on: July 19, 2018, 10:46:03 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This was about the most Marcus was gonna get from us, so kudos to him.  It feels kinda like the equivalent of the Avery Bradley deal from a few years back, just under the bigger cap. Hopefully Marcus can use the windfall to pay someone to fight picture frames for him.

« Reply #983 on: July 19, 2018, 10:46:21 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Im no expert on the cap but do we have any more capspace to sign a vet to a mini salary?? Alex Len or someone like him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #984 on: July 19, 2018, 10:47:42 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
This deal is awesome. While it may be more than what the market is dictating for a player of his caliber, I feel like he gave a little bit by locking into a 4 year contract vs. shorter term. He offers intangibles and locker room presence at a minimum and becomes a decent trade chip moving forward given contract matching.

Glad he is with us though...lets stop thinking about trading away players for crying outloud. LOL

« Reply #985 on: July 19, 2018, 10:48:09 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Im no expert on the cap but do we have any more capspace to sign a vet to a mini salary?? Alex Len or someone like him

You don’t need cap space to sign anyone to a minimum salary (unless subject to the hard cap, which the C’s are not at present).

« Reply #986 on: July 19, 2018, 10:50:36 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

You don’t need cap space to sign anyone to a minimum salary (unless subject to the hard cap, which the C’s are not at present).

So are we good to sign Jabari Bird now, or did Smart's signing price us out?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #987 on: July 19, 2018, 10:51:46 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
If we are going over the tax this year we might as well use our mid level exception at some point. Lol

I wonder what the specifics are if it’s frontloaded, a trade kicker ect.

« Reply #988 on: July 19, 2018, 10:54:14 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
was just curious looking at stats

https://stats.nba.com/players/defense/?sort=DEF_WS&dir=-1

Smart is a top 10 defensive player according to this but i honestly don't think this is that accurate, cuz Draymond Green is at 28

« Reply #989 on: July 19, 2018, 10:58:48 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

So are we good to sign Jabari Bird now, or did Smart's signing price us out?

Time will tell I guess.  We have a qualifying offer of a 2-way contract out to him, and can match any offer unless Sacramento gives him a ridiculous sum of money (over $5.3 million in year one).  Since were already in the tax, it’s less likely a team will give him an offer because it’s more likely we match (as he wouldn’t be thebplayer putting us into the tax).  So maybe we’ll still sign him to a Semi-style deal, maybe we’ll convince him to take the QO so that we can lessen the tax bill or get under the tax more easily, or maybe he’ll go to Europe (in which case we’d still have his rights next summer and until he comes back or we relinquish them).  I don’t think a team at this point tries to outbid us.