Author Topic: Bucks Fire Adrian Griffin  (Read 12841 times)

Re: Bucks Fire Adrian Griffin
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2024, 04:39:48 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
It's going to be a tall task for Doc coming in midseason.

Apparently Doc was already a coaching adviser to the Bucks. It makes sense now why he was appointed so quickly.

What’s ironic is that his new team may have to go through his old teams to win a championship (Magic, 76ers, Celtics, Clippers).
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2024, 05:33:03 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 375
I don't get how doc keeps getting these coaching jobs. he's pretty much failed and been fired everywhere.

this idea somehow doc is going to turn Lillard into a defensive guru is funny.

« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2024, 05:46:36 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I don't get how doc keeps getting these coaching jobs. he's pretty much failed and been fired everywhere.

this idea somehow doc is going to turn Lillard into a defensive guru is funny.

Dame is upset he not the focal point of the offense. Good luck with that Doc.

« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2024, 05:48:45 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I never understood why a team competing for a title would go for a young unproven coach.  Feel bad for Griffin, but that was always a weird hire to me.

100% agree. If this isn't proof that it was a bad idea than idk what is. 30 and 13 and fired.

« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2024, 06:02:34 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 886
I get that a lot of people aren't happy with Mazzulla.  Would you rather have Doc?  Do you think Doc is going to outcoach Mazzulla?  Do you think he outcoached Mazzulla last season in the EC-Semifinals?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 06:09:50 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2024, 06:27:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
People keep thinking Doc is gonna come in as a grizzled, championship-proven veteran that'll take a team "over the hump". The problem is, he only won one title with the 2008 loaded Celtics and even that path was rocky (needed 7 games each of the first two rounds).

Choked with the Clippers and Sixers over the years who were also loaded.

I agree, no clue how he keeps getting jobs. Yeah, I guess he relates with the players and can keep a locker room together but is that really true? Harden seemed to get him ousted last season, and the Clips Big 3 did the same to him ultimately. Make no mistake, Giannis and/or Lillard will do the same in 2025 if things stay the same or somehow get worse.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2024, 09:47:56 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I get that a lot of people aren't happy with Mazzulla.  Would you rather have Doc?  Do you think Doc is going to outcoach Mazzulla?  Do you think he outcoached Mazzulla last season in the EC-Semifinals?

That’s a good question.  :police:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2024, 10:25:09 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 606

That’s a good question.  :police:

Smart thing would've been to keep Joe as interim and hire Nurse.

Bucks fired a guy after 40 games and we basically said that was enough to give ours the keys.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2024, 10:55:46 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
People keep thinking Doc is gonna come in as a grizzled, championship-proven veteran that'll take a team "over the hump". The problem is, he only won one title with the 2008 loaded Celtics and even that path was rocky (needed 7 games each of the first two rounds).

I agree, no clue how he keeps getting jobs. Yeah, I guess he relates with the players and can keep a locker room together but is that really true? Harden seemed to get him ousted last season, and the Clips Big 3 did the same to him ultimately. Make no mistake, Giannis and/or Lillard will do the same in 2025 if things stay the same or somehow get worse.

He's mostly a locker room (who will straighten your heads and egos) typa coach and can only coach with playoff-ready rosters.

His x's and o's on the other hand are abysmal.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2024, 08:14:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

He's mostly a locker room (who will straighten your heads and egos) typa coach and can only coach with playoff-ready rosters.

His x's and o's on the other hand are abysmal.

Yeah.  It's no surprise that Doc's best run was with Tom Thibodeau as an assistant.  He's not a guy who does well managing the game.  He's a guy who is known for getting his teams to pull together, but despite that reputation he's had some bad locker rooms (the Ray / Rondo beef, the Doc / Rondo beef, the "young guys" versus veterans beef, the Clippers, etc.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2024, 08:16:31 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Right…  ;)

Bucks two-time MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo said the firing of first-year coach Adrian Griffin caught him by surprise, but that he trusts Milwaukee's decision-makers to give the team the best possible chance to win a championship.

"I've got to trust the front office, I've got to trust the ownership group that they consider the bigger picture," Antetokounmpo said following the Bucks' 126-116 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Wednesday night. "My job is to be the best version of myself, to lead this team out there and help win games.

"Their job is to create the best team possible and the best atmosphere around the team possible that they believe gives us a better chance to win a championship. But yeah, I do think [firing coach Griffin] was a surprise."

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2024, 09:46:23 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Right…  ;)

Bucks two-time MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo said the firing of first-year coach Adrian Griffin caught him by surprise, but that he trusts Milwaukee's decision-makers to give the team the best possible chance to win a championship.

"I've got to trust the front office, I've got to trust the ownership group that they consider the bigger picture," Antetokounmpo said following the Bucks' 126-116 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Wednesday night. "My job is to be the best version of myself, to lead this team out there and help win games.

"Their job is to create the best team possible and the best atmosphere around the team possible that they believe gives us a better chance to win a championship. But yeah, I do think [firing coach Griffin] was a surprise."

This guy really has changed. The tantrums he throws at press conferences, the incident with the "game ball" against the Pacers, getting coaches fired, etc. And his shtick about staying with one team his whole life, that is 100% going to be BS. I'll bet good money ($100+) he's gone from Milwaukee after 2025.

« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2024, 09:57:34 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1625
  • What a Pub Should Be
Right…  ;)

This guy really has changed. The tantrums he throws at press conferences, the incident with the "game ball" against the Pacers, getting coaches fired, etc. And his shtick about staying with one team his whole life, that is 100% going to be BS. I'll bet good money ($100+) he's gone from Milwaukee after 2025.

He signed an extension so he's under contract 'til 2027-28 with the last year being a player option.

Of course, stuff like that hasn't stopped players from forcing themselves out early.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2024, 10:01:31 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Right…  ;)

He signed an extension so he's under contract 'til 2027-28 with the last year being a player option.

Of course, stuff like that hasn't stopped players from forcing themselves out early.

I hardly think that matters anymore. Numerous players around the league have been able to orchestrate trades even with 3+ years left on their deal. Some have even hypothesized that Jaylen could be traded after this season if the C's get bounced early and JB doesn't like it here, and he just signed a 5-year extension.

The Bucks trading for Lillard felt like desperation. Sorry but I'm not buying the "we needed to get better, period" slant from the Bucks FO, Giannis definitely had a hand in getting Lillard there and forced it to happen. And the Bucks have no choice but to appease their guy

« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2024, 10:13:50 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1625
  • What a Pub Should Be
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
16s
Sources: Doc Rivers is signing a contract through the 2026-27 season worth in the range of $40 million to be the Bucks’ head coach. Milwaukee is paying out former coaches Mike Budenholzer and Adrian Griffin, and now Rivers for next 3.5 years.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team