Author Topic: Rondo is being put too high on a pedestal  (Read 18168 times)

Rondo is being put too high on a pedestal
« on: January 28, 2013, 05:04:05 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I honestly do believe Celtics are better without Rondo. And can be competive and contend for a title, but only with a trade for a big man

Celtics have a better record without Rondo. Even in the playoffs, they play better without him

People say Celtics also have a winning record without KG, and try to correlate it to Celtics without Rondo.
The situation isn't similar because KG is better and more important for the Celtics, even in KG's advanced age. KG's affect on the Celtics weighs heavily more than anything Rondo can do.

KG is the backbone of the defense, post scorer, pick-and-pop guy, automatic from 17ft, pick and roll defense, etc. endless stuff he brings to the table in the playoffs

The stuff Rondo brings can be replicated by another point guard. Really I wanna know, what does he do that is so unique and special for the Celtics that another guard can't do? Most of what he does is dribble the ball for 10 seconds and pass to open players
-Doesn't drive the ball in fear of his free throw percentage
-Has horrible perimeter defense
-Shaky inconsistent jumpshot

Rondo is basically non-existent on offense except for passing. Very easy for other teams to play 5 on 4, which makes the Celtics easy to defend. So people are saying Celtics have no chance when a replacement point guard can do the same tasks as Rondo (and probably even better)? I don't get it

Re: Rondo is being put too high on a pedestal
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 05:10:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The stuff Rondo brings can be replicated by another point guard. Really I wanna know, what does he do that is so unique and special for the Celtics that another guard can't do?

Who is this "another point guard", and how are we going to get him on our roster?

It should be pretty obvious that Terry, Barbosa, and Bradley don't possess the point guard skills of Rondo.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
can we merge all these threads? lol

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I honestly do believe Celtics are better without Rondo. And can be competive and contend for a title, but only with a trade for a big man

Celtics have a better record without Rondo. Even in the playoffs, they play better without him

People say Celtics also have a winning record without KG, and try to correlate it to Celtics without Rondo.
The situation isn't similar because KG is better and more important for the Celtics, even in KG's advanced age.

Too funny. "The same stats are either very telling or completely meaningless based on whether or not I agree with what they show".

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 05:14:29 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
You make it sound like any team can find their own Rondo off the street.

You can't just replace a player that can do 17, 12, and 7 in the playoffs.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 05:23:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The stuff Rondo brings can be replicated by another point guard. Really I wanna know, what does he do that is so unique and special for the Celtics that another guard can't do?

Who is this "another point guard", and how are we going to get him on our roster?

It should be pretty obvious that Terry, Barbosa, and Bradley don't possess the point guard skills of Rondo.
doesn't matter to me personally.  PG's are essentially worthless on title winning teams in the last 30 years.  In fact, PG's on both finals teams are so rarely even an all star in that season that you can ignore the losing PG as well.  I mean seriously, look at the PG's that are winning titles.  Even the all time great PG's, only 4 won a title as their teams first or second best player (Cousy, Robertson, Johnson, and Thomas).  Sure Archibald, Kidd and Payton picked one up late in their careers, but they were long past their prime.  The great PG's of today, Paul, Williams, etc. haven't even made the finals.  No other position in the game has the dearth of title winners in their prime like PG's do.

In other words, your PG just doesn't matter.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 05:26:12 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40

The situation isn't similar because KG is better and more important for the Celtics, even in KG's advanced age.

Too funny. "The same stats are either very telling or completely meaningless based on whether or not I agree with what they show".

Ok, tell me ...Cs without Rondo but with other great PG(PAUL/Billups/Westbrook/Williams) how many titiles can win during BIG3 legacy 2008-2012?

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 05:27:20 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Its Ewing theory time for the Boston Celtics. Time to find out just how valuable Rondo is to the team.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 05:28:46 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I suppose it's all easy to say when Rondo's gone. Why didn't these threads appear when he was playing?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 05:31:55 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I agree that we, as fans, over rate most of our players.

I'm not sure about the too high a pedestal. But I mean...

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 05:38:02 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
yawn

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 05:38:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Ok, tell me ...Cs without Rondo but with other great PG(PAUL/Billups/Westbrook/Williams) how many titiles can win during BIG3 legacy 2008-2012?

Aside from the fact that your question doesn't have anything to do with my post, the obvious answer is "who knows"? Probably no more than we did. But how do you determine things like health?

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 05:47:11 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I think we're a "different" team without Rondo. Whether we are better or worse remains to be seen.

Rondo lays up numbers when it matters most - in the playoffs - that is huge.

But it's possible we can be a very good team without him as well.

Other guys are going to have to do more and we'll certainly find out soon.

I love Rondo - but I also think this team could be very good with a Goran Dragic type point - or some other point with a very solid shooting game and who can put up 6-7 assists a night.

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 05:54:12 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Rondo is overrated for sure. Imagine Rondo playign in West Conference...There is no chance to see him in West All Star Team

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 05:54:23 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Oh, come on now! The C's are not better without Rondo. They are probably not a lot worse without regular season Rondo, but they will certainly miss playoffs Rondo.

Having said that, the problems the C's have today are not much different from the ones they had last week.

1. They need a scoring wing (SF/SG), preferably a deadly 3pt shooter. That's Pierce if he can shake his slump. It's Terry if he can shake his season long slump. Could that be Barbosa? Do the C's really need to pursue Reddick?

2. They need a quality Big to spell KG. Bass isn't big enough and isn't playing well enough, anyway. Sully is doing better than I thought he would, but isn't enough. The C's need a "rim-protector." Collins can't and Wilcox can't stay healthy...and probably isn't good enough anyway. Melo is way too raw. Anybody the C's could trade for would cost too much or not be any better than what we currently have. This is a need that likely can't be filled this year.

3. They need Terry, Lee and Green to play up to their averages. Playing up to their potential would be better, but just up to their career averages would be an improvement. I think Lee is over the last month, Green looks like he is coming along, but I think the Jet is still grounded. If these three could start playing well, they solve problem 1, but I think it'll take all three.

4. Consistency! Consistency! Consistency! The C's haven't had it, and they need it. Time to pass their chemistry test and start playing consistent team basketball. Play like they did yesterday and they win a lot of games even with Rondo out and even if Pierce and Terry stay in their slumps.

Here's something that I think we all noticed yesterday. The C's ran more than I recall them running in any game this season. The transition happy Heat had half as many fast-break points as the C's. Rondo could run. Rondo doesn't run. Why won't Rondo run? Yes, you have to play defense...and they did. Yes, you have to rebound...and surprisingly they did fairly well. Yes, playoff basketball is half-court basketball, but this team can run...and it needs to!

Oh, and Barbosa needs to play a lot more! :)