Author Topic: Current thoughts on Kyrie?  (Read 5896 times)

Current thoughts on Kyrie?
« on: April 20, 2019, 09:30:30 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I hesitate to ask this, but three games in to the playoffs, has anybody changed their thoughts on Kyrie at all?  Does anybody still think we’d be a better overall team if he walked?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Current thoughts on Kyrie?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 09:38:27 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I hesitate to ask this, but three games in to the playoffs, has anybody changed their thoughts on Kyrie at all?  Does anybody still think we’d be a better overall team if he walked?
TP for wondering the same thing I was when watching the game. 

I've noticed the "keep Rozier over Kyrie" crowd has vanished into thin air the past few weeks.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 09:42:01 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

First half of last year I was convinced he was a waste and absolutely could not stand his selfish game. Then the 2nd half of last year he was trying to be just a facilitator and that was “ok” to me but wasn’t winning us games. Then without him we bout made it to the finals so I was 💯 on board with kicking Kyrie out.

Then the beginning of this season happened. I noticed Kyrie was trying to do like a mix of passing and scoring and it looked absolutely incredible. Only issue was his teammates wasn’t hitting their shots. Not one of Brown, Tatum, not Rozier we’re living up to their expectations that they had given us coming into the season.  As matter a fact Morris seemed to be the most consistent along side Kyrie.

So around All-Star break I had noticed how important Kyrie is. He really hits huge shots, he is clutch, he can get his buckets whenever he wants. I still cannot stand his long 3 point bombs with 20 secs on the shot clock, but he is easily the most important player in this roster and if he leaves we are nothing. 

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 09:43:27 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

TP for wondering the same thing I was when watching the game. 

I've noticed the "keep Rozier over Kyrie" crowd has vanished into thin air the past few weeks.

And I admit to being one of these people until I realized Rozier doesn’t pass no more than Kyrie lol.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 09:48:31 AM »

Online smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Still ride or die on Team Kyrie. And I still got love for the streets (it’s the D R E).
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 09:49:35 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
It's the playoffs and now we are reminded once again of the value of an elite ball handler, big shot maker, and closer. No one should be surprised that Kyrie is proving his value. He also happens to be playing great defense.

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 09:53:28 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Kyrie is what I thought he was.  Let’s not let him get away.

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 10:01:52 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

To be fair, anybody who thought we’d be better off without Kyrie lives in a strange fantasy world where things like playoff performance isn’t likely to sway them.

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 10:51:10 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Kyrie is a stud, plain and simple.  We need to re-sign him, period.  Anything else is just crazy talk.

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 10:56:50 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
He's gonna be the guy that wins us multiple playoff games that we had no business winning, and a couple of games may be the difference between first round exits and making it to the finals.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 11:20:05 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Given his talents, I think it depends on getting Anthony Davis. If that happens, the potential is there for a championship level collaboration.

Otherwise,I think we'd be better positioned for a potential championship going forward if we let him walk. He's a point guard, he's not an MVP candidate and he isn't someone who makes everyone around him better. Its not that he isn't great, but you won't win a title if he's your best player. Without an even better player like AD, I wouldn't want to pay him.

Tatum Brown and Hayward all will need the space to expand their game next year. I think the team would be better long term built around them, and that won't ever happen with Kyrie here.

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 11:28:54 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
He's an exceptional skill superstar and has many tremendous attributes, and he can actually defend when he puts his mind to it too.

But, he is still learning to develop trust in his teammates. he's still a work in progress as a team leader and a player that makes players around him better. That's what separates the all-time greats from merely exceptionally skilled superstars.

Players like Magic, Bird, LeBron, and Jordan, as opposed to Harden and Westbrook.

I'm willing to bet that he figures it out if given the right players to work with. Kyrie needs a consistent "second banana" something he has yet to find on this team.   

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 12:09:31 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I have to admit.  He's better than Corey Joseph and Darren Collison.

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 12:25:37 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
An Elite scorer and shooter. A good - and at times a VERY GOOD - defender. good to VERY GOOD facilitator and is trying to get better as a facilitator.

A young man who is growing as a leader, learning over the last couple of months to TRUST his teammates...

A VERY talented player whom has not gotten a fair look at times due to some unfair circumstances (Gordon Hayward recovery). This ALONE has been perhaps his most UNFAIR circumstance - his other ALPHA in Gordon Hayward coming back from a gruesome injury......being MIA for nearly two years...

The book is STILL being written on Kyrie. As long as he continues his growth and gives Boston a chance by resigning here I believe we'll see the best version of Kyrie Irving from here on out.

He is - at times - a top 10 player in this league easily. Can be unstoppable in stretches.

And - to answer Roy - "IF" he walks we are not a contender anymore.

We would need All Star Gordon Hayward AND Tatum and JB to make another leap next season to even sniff contention - with All-Star GH being VERY likely BUT Tatum and JB making leaps being possible BUT uncertain.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 12:39:17 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 12:59:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Ask me after the team makes it past ECF