Author Topic: Tatum's "foursome" in Game 1 against the Heat  (Read 4739 times)

Tatum's "foursome" in Game 1 against the Heat
« on: September 16, 2020, 12:55:50 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Don't take this as knocking Tatum - the kid is a truly special player, perhaps an all time great if he keeps it up at this pace. However, he came up short in four critical moments in tonight's game:

1. Misses the potential game winning shot at the end of regulation

2. Fouls Butler for a three point play to put the Heat ahead

3. Get's blocked by Adebayo "in epic fashion" on a game tying attempt in OT

4. Misses the potential game tying heave at the end of overtime

That is a lot of failure in a very short span of time for a guy who rightfully expects and probably prides himself on coming through in these situations

This game may be yet another learning moment for these young Celtics, particularly Tatum. I'm very interested to see how the team and especially Tatum come out in Game 2 - what's the mentality? What you'd like to see is a real thrashing of the Heat, a 10-20 point blow win, end to end.

Coming up short four straight times down the stretch can't sit well with Tatum.         

Re: Tatum's "foursome" in Game 1 against the Heat
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 12:59:54 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Trade Tatum, he truly sucks.

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 01:04:52 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I only didn’t like #1, you have to be more agressive with OT in your pocket.
All your other points are juste things that happen
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 01:15:46 AM »

Offline DocomoCelts

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 24
Like you said, he's young, and the experience will only help him improve his in-game nous.  It would help if Kemba wasn't struggling, as Tatum's probably feeling the pressure from having to carry crunch time on his shoulders.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 01:23:08 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Tatum wasn't the reason we lost....we go up 12-14 points and we WALK the ball up the court allowing the defense to set....Then we gotta throw up a crappy shot while the clock expires...Almost cost us the Raps series and did cost us this game.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 01:26:46 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
The problem is the Celtics keep playing cute and blowing leads. If the C's hung on to their 12-14 point lead and played defense and quit taking abnormally long/poor 3's or playing too conservatively, they would not have been in this close game/OT mess.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 01:36:35 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Tatum is the cat's pajamas
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 01:44:36 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Agree with Makaveli....even number one wasn't the worst...though a better play for an easy two points in hindsight would have been better.

The good thing is that Tatum didn't turn the ball over in crunchtime....that is progress!  The other plays:

the heave was almost amazing.

the defense on Butler was great

at least he went for the dunk...took a great play with a hand almost in cylinder to stop it.

the Celts' bigger issue is how they behave with a 10 point lead..  They seem to mentally think it's time to celebrate the success of going up...and they celebrate by going Harlem Globetrotters on us...but with less passing.

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 01:58:47 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Perk said something during Celtics PostGame on NBC about that Tatum shot at the end of regulation...Perk said if we cheer for Tatum when he was taking and making those shots earlier in the game then we have to live with that at the end of the game because he had been making them. Sure with hindsight we probably should have worked on a better shot than a contested 3 after dribbling down the clock. That was my initial reaction on the game thread too. But he's made those in the past many times. Can't blame him for trying to put the team on his shoulders. Next time he will be better for the experience - maybe he will try a drive and kick or try and drive to the rim like he did when he got stuffed by Adebayo (which I am ok with, it was a great play by Bam).

Of greater concern to me is having to rely on a last second shot in the first place after we were in control of the game going into the fourth. Silly fouls and going away from moving the ball.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 02:02:25 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
The problem is the Celtics keep playing cute and blowing leads. If the C's hung on to their 12-14 point lead and played defense and quit taking abnormally long/poor 3's or playing too conservatively, they would not have been in this close game/OT mess.

Yes. With Stevens' signature. Closing the games seems still his major problem.

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 04:06:54 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Perk said something during Celtics PostGame on NBC about that Tatum shot at the end of regulation...Perk said if we cheer for Tatum when he was taking and making those shots earlier in the game then we have to live with that at the end of the game because he had been making them. Sure with hindsight we probably should have worked on a better shot than a contested 3 after dribbling down the clock. That was my initial reaction on the game thread too. But he's made those in the past many times. Can't blame him for trying to put the team on his shoulders. Next time he will be better for the experience - maybe he will try a drive and kick or try and drive to the rim like he did when he got stuffed by Adebayo (which I am ok with, it was a great play by Bam).

My only objection is that taking a 3p shot at that point does not make sense. Just drive to the basket. Go for the foul.

Even if the had made the shop i still think it was not the best call. I doubt it even makes "analytically" sense.

I am disappointed we couldn't put a seal on the game earlier and with Kemba's performances but not with Tatum

But that is basketball... You win some you lose some.

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 04:07:57 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
He and Jaylen are still young. The team is building around the two. Good that they're cool-headed and take failed plays/games as opportunities. These past games are their leeway to get better for the team's future - hopefully with multiple successes (titles?) between them. Kobe did several mistakes in his early years as pro player.

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 04:49:47 AM »

Offline Celtics Mike

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 237
Tatum wasn't the reason we lost....we go up 12-14 points and we WALK the ball up the court allowing the defense to set....Then we gotta throw up a crappy shot while the clock expires...Almost cost us the Raps series and did cost us this game.
Yeah I wasn't happy Celtics blew a 14point lead at the start of the 4thQ

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 05:14:34 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

My only objection is that taking a 3p shot at that point does not make sense. Just drive to the basket. Go for the foul.

Even if the had made the shop i still think it was not the best call. I doubt it even makes "analytically" sense.

I am disappointed we couldn't put a seal on the game earlier and with Kemba's performances but not with Tatum

But that is basketball... You win some you lose some.
Analytics would call for a drive if possible.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 08:57:56 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

Yes. With Stevens' signature. Closing the games seems still his major problem.

What is your evidence of this? It certainly can't be their record or the fact that they've been in the ECF 3 out of the last 4 years. Surely a team that can't close out games due to an incompetent coach wouldn't make it far.

Yeah I wasn't happy Celtics blew a 14point lead at the start of the 4thQ

But you enjoyed them building the 14 point lead, yes?