Author Topic: 2024 NFL Draft  (Read 3984 times)

Re: 2024 NFL Draft
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 10:57:54 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Here's the AP's final mock:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-mock-nfl-draft-3-231605073.html

Like all mocks it's meaningless, but would Pats fans be happy?

3.  Traded to Minnesota along with 2025 3rd and 2025 6th for #11, #23, 2025 #1

8.  Patriots trade #11, #34 for #8, 3rd rounder, 5th rounder.  Select J.J. McCarthy

23.  Adonai Mitchell

In summary:

Out:  #3, #34, 2025 3rd, 2025 6th

In:  J.J. McCarthy, Adonai Mitchell, 2024 3rd, 2024 5th, 2025 1st

This is a lot of moving parts.  I need to break it down some to understand:

This season's top of Draft:

Out:  #3 and #34
     In:    #8 and #23

Mid Draft Picks:

Out:   3rd and 6th in 2025
     In:     3rd and 5th in 2024

Bonus Pick:

In:    1st in 2025

If we end up with JJ McCarthy with the resulting #8 pick, I think this is all fine.  Our second pick this draft ends up at #23 vs. #34 so that is a pretty good jump.  The mid round picks swaps is mostly moving from 2025 to 2024, which I guess is good, but not really all that much different.  And for all this trouble, we get an extra 1st in 2025.  Not exactly the boatload of picks I would like to get for trading out of #3, but if it worked out this way, it looks like a win.  It all comes down to how Maye vs. JJ McCarthy works out (assuming Maye is picked at #3).  If Maye ends up a bust (which is possible) the Pats will look like genius.  If JJ McCarthy ends up a bust, not so much, but they will have an extra first next season to try again for a QB.

« Reply #31 on: Today at 06:10:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
What are thoughts on this?

Pats trade #3 + 2025 3rd rounder to Minnesota for #11, #23 and 2025 1st

Pats select Michael Penix Jr. with #11, and then with #23 and #34 you use both picks on WR/OT, one for each spot? Depends who they love but maybe someone like Guyton or Mims at 23 (OT), and Worthy, Legette or BTJ at 34 (WR). Or AD Mitchell 23, and a tackle at 34 like Patrick Paul? 

Essentially you're first 3 picks in the Draft would be Penix, 1 WR, 1 OT. And you still have pick #68 to use on something too (early 3rd round).

I like Penix but not at #3. But at #11 I think it's worth it if you're not as high on Maye/Daniels. I personally am not a fan of Nix or McCarthy.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #32 on: Today at 06:12:06 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Pats select Michael Penix Jr. with #11, and then with #23 and #34 you use both picks on WR/OT, one for each spot? Depends who they love but maybe someone like Guyton or Mims at 23 (OT), and Worthy, Legette or BTJ at 34 (WR). Or AD Mitchell 23, and a tackle at 34 like Patrick Paul? 

Essentially you're first 3 picks in the Draft would be Penix, 1 WR, 1 OT. And you still have pick #68 to use on something too (early 3rd round).

Michael Penix Jr. will be there at #23.

« Reply #33 on: Today at 06:48:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I'm not so sure. McCarthy will likely go in the Top-6 somewhere, and then I could see some team deciding to take Penix between the 11-20 range. I wouldn't risk it.

But if you could still get him at #23, then that's great. Take a OT like Fashanu or Fuaga at 11 or WR Odunze, and Penix at 23. Use #34 then on whichever you didn't take between WR/OT.

« Reply #34 on: Today at 06:56:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'm not so sure. McCarthy will likely go in the Top-6 somewhere, and then I could see some team deciding to take Penix between the 11-20 range. I wouldn't risk it.

But if you could still get him at #23, then that's great. Take a OT like Fashanu or Fuaga at 11 or WR Odunze, and Penix at 23. Use #34 then on whichever you didn't take between WR/OT.

I'm saying 0% chance Odunze makes it to #11.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: Today at 08:39:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

It's unlikely, but I do think it's possible one non-MHJ receiver does drop a bit in the Draft. Might be Nabers? 4 of the Top-10 picks are likely QBs, then you have MHJ, Turner, Bowers, Alt in the mix being taken. I think it's possible 1 of them slips to around #11.

« Reply #36 on: Today at 08:43:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It's unlikely, but I do think it's possible one non-MHJ receiver does drop a bit in the Draft. Might be Nabers? 4 of the Top-10 picks are likely QBs, then you have MHJ, Turner, Bowers, Alt in the mix being taken. I think it's possible 1 of them slips to around #11.

I just see so many teams in the top 10 that could use a receiver.  Cardinals, Chargers, Titans, Bears, Giants, Jets to name a few.

I know everybody is predicting that four QBs get picked in the top-10, but I wouldn't be shocked if one falls to Minnesota at number 11.  If I'm remembering correctly, neither Las Vegas, nor Denver has a second rounder this year, so I'm skeptical that they have the immunity to move up ahead of Minnesota.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: Today at 08:46:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I just see so many teams in the top 10 that could use a receiver.  Cardinals, Chargers, Titans, Bears, Jets to name a few.

Yeah originally I felt AZ would take MHJ, then NYG probably Nabers, and Odunze in the mix somewhere. It seems likely the Titans take OT which is probably wise for them. CHI might not *need* one per say especially after adding Keenan Allen.

I just wouldn't rule it out. I mean who the hell knows, I didn't think McCarthy had any shot of being a Top-10 pick a month ago and now it seems he's gonna go in the Top-6 guaranteed  :P