Author Topic: Which NBA player are you most similar to?  (Read 20097 times)

Re: Which NBA player are you most similar to?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 09:37:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
My college coach said I played like Danny Manning.  Guys who played against me said I was dirty and called me Laimbeer.

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 09:48:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm average height, below average wingspan, I try hard to box out, stay with my man, play physical defense, and keep the ball moving, but I don't have very good athleticism aside from decent speed and endurance for my size. I can handle the ball a little bit and finish a little bit but I have zero moves and I'm purely a straight line driver. I have no range beyond fifteen feet or so.

I dunno, who does that sound like to you?

I always aspire to play like guys who get by in the league on the strength of hustle and defense and passing... Raja Bell and Shane Battier were my favorites once upon a time. But those guys could shoot.

I should say, I never played organized basketball beyond age seven and I didn't start trying to play basketball again until I was a sophomore in college and I was shooting hoops over the summer with friends from home.

But I've now reached a point where I don't totally embarrass myself when I play pickup, so that's something.  :)
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 09:58:06 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Conner Henry

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 10:06:22 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Marcus Smart. I play hard, D up, and lay bricks.

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 10:15:16 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Considering the question says "are" - as in present tense - I'm probably most similar to Stan Van Gundy without the mustache.   :)
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 10:18:06 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
40 percent Tashaun Prince 40 percent Shaun Livingston 20 percent James Harden but in a 6'2" body

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 10:34:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Great topic, as it is one we have always thought of. I am also glad to see people taking it seriously, rather than just going with the biggest stars.

I used to say I played a lot like Jamison - a little unorthodox, solid rebounder, but could handle the ball and score off the dribble (for a bigger guy) in a number of different ways. I think in the current NBA, I would say Paul Millsap for similar reasons.

I am 6'5" without shoes, not overly athletic and shorter wingspan, but can still dunk at 36; hate when people make me play center. I consider myself a 'forward' (I guess they call it a 'swing' nowadays). I prefer to make my move off the dribble, but have a killer hook shot down low  :P Defense is also solid, but unspectacular.

I absolutely hate going up against some of you Marcus Smart types. See how effective Smart was against Millsap - that would totally throw me off my game, too.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 10:40:32 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 10:40:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Wilt Chamblain

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 10:45:31 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Im definitely like D-Wade.. no outside shot but really good at driving to the hoop and good on D.

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 11:07:43 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Jeff Hornacek

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 11:38:49 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Paul Pierce and Metta World Peace.

Like to play iso-ball and come up big on crunch time, and throwing elbows around and not feeling guilty about it hahaha.  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2016, 11:51:36 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
When I'm able to play on a regular basis, I'm a very, very poor man's Karl Malone.

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2016, 12:08:07 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
ETwaun Moore. When I see him playing and making it in the NBA I think I should have stuck with basketball.

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2016, 12:10:10 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I'm kind of like a non athletic tony Allen who can't really jump. I'm 6'4 with a 6'10 wingspan, and I can't shoot. I pride myself on "containment" defense, namely making sure their shot is contested. Not big on steals, but once in awhile it's a block party out here. Can play bigger than my size on the boards due to good fundamentals on boxing out (grew early so I was always a undersized center or big forward at medium sized schools) and my nutty long arms.

My offensive game is mainly cutting hard to the basket. If I have a big size mismatch I can take it in the post and do post fades pretty well.

Mostly I'm used as a roll man on the wing because I can set hard screens. If I'm feeling good that day I can also dribble and pass pretty well. If we are up I like to do no look passes lol. Was addicted to rondo fakes for awhile.

That's interesting Future of Stevens. Do you buy into the theory that Really long arms make it harder to shoot from deep, but better for Rebounding and defense.