Author Topic: Cavs interested in Hayward  (Read 13490 times)

Cavs interested in Hayward
« on: April 18, 2019, 07:50:36 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I guess file under random, but there are reports Cavs would be interested in trading for Hayward if he became available.

A) I highly doubt he will be available.  Especially if they keep Kyrie and get AD.

B) what on earth would the cavs offer up?

Edit: The source is some guy in Cleveland by the name of Chris Fedor.  Probably just speculating on his part.

Re: Cavs interested in Hayward
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 07:57:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2019/04/f12d4c81df4857/cleveland-cavaliers-continue-to-receive-calls-on-jr-smith-exploring-10-teams-that-are-best-fit-for-a-deal.html

Yes, it's nothing more than a trade idea from a talking head.

Boston Celtics

Everything hinges on Irving. Perhaps the Celtics have buyer’s remorse with Gordon Hayward, allowing them to chase a different star. Or maybe Irving bolts, opting to join the Knicks or Nets in free agency. In the latter scenario, the Celtics would likely regroup and build around their young guys (Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown). That means trying to move on from a pair of pricey deals -- Al Horford and Hayward.

The Cavs would gladly take the polarizing Hayward, who was an All-Star in Utah before his horrific leg injury. He would be the main prize, the exception to Cleveland demanding a draft pick or ascending player on a rookie deal. Hayward is healthy now and will have a full off-season to try to regain his old form, possibly giving the Cavs another piece to accelerate their timeline. Put Hayward, 29, alongside Kevin Love, Collin Sexton and the duo added in Round One and suddenly Cleveland has the look of a playoff team.

This might be ludicrous. The Celtics have a real chance of winning the East. But with Danny Ainge, anything is possible.

Of course, this hypothetical Boston-Cleveland swap would have to be a bigger move because of Hayward’s $32.7 million salary number. A trade would probably involve the expiring contracts of John Henson or Jordan Clarkson.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 07:58:52 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2019/04/f12d4c81df4857/cleveland-cavaliers-continue-to-receive-calls-on-jr-smith-exploring-10-teams-that-are-best-fit-for-a-deal.html

Yes, it's nothing more than a trade idea from a talking head.

Boston Celtics

Everything hinges on Irving. Perhaps the Celtics have buyer’s remorse with Gordon Hayward, allowing them to chase a different star. Or maybe Irving bolts, opting to join the Knicks or Nets in free agency. In the latter scenario, the Celtics would likely regroup and build around their young guys (Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown). That means trying to move on from a pair of pricey deals -- Al Horford and Hayward.

The Cavs would gladly take the polarizing Hayward, who was an All-Star in Utah before his horrific leg injury. He would be the main prize, the exception to Cleveland demanding a draft pick or ascending player on a rookie deal. Hayward is healthy now and will have a full off-season to try to regain his old form, possibly giving the Cavs another piece to accelerate their timeline. Put Hayward, 29, alongside Kevin Love, Collin Sexton and the duo added in Round One and suddenly Cleveland has the look of a playoff team.

This might be ludicrous. The Celtics have a real chance of winning the East. But with Danny Ainge, anything is possible.

Of course, this hypothetical Boston-Cleveland swap would have to be a bigger move because of Hayward’s $32.7 million salary number. A trade would probably involve the expiring contracts of John Henson or Jordan Clarkson.

I don't see anyone in this draft other than Zion being worth trading him for and the Cavs aren't trading Zion for him.  There isn't anyone else on their roster either.  So yeah this is stupid

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 08:05:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Kyrie were to leave in FA and the team were looking at refocusing on youth, it could make sense to trade Hayward to Cleveland if they were willing to absorb most or all of his deal into cap space. 

Unless the move would clear cap space for the Celts in that situation, I don't see the point.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 08:50:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If Kyrie were to leave in FA and the team were looking at refocusing on youth, it could make sense to trade Hayward to Cleveland if they were willing to absorb most or all of his deal into cap space. 

Unless the move would clear cap space for the Celts in that situation, I don't see the point.
Cavs don't have cap space, they do have Smith though who is only partially guaranteed so that would save some cash.  I'm not sure a Smith and Henson/Clarkson for Hayward trade makes any real sense for Boston though.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 09:01:52 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Cavs don't have cap space, they do have Smith though who is only partially guaranteed so that would save some cash.  I'm not sure a Smith and Henson/Clarkson for Hayward trade makes any real sense for Boston though.

It can if it gets the celtics morant.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 09:12:40 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Agree.....it especially makes no sense when all the articles proffering this Hayward to Cavs trade assume that we will have to add draft picks (yeah, that plural) and a young player to “dump” Hayward.

All this Hayward to Cavs stupidity stemmed from a March 8th article fom Forbes. This is the part that kills me:

To move Hayward, Boston could offer Cleveland any of their three remaining first-round selections, along with future selections as well.

A trade that logically makes sense for both sides would be Cleveland sending Boston J.R. Smith and John Henson for Hayward, the Kings 2019 first and the Celtics 2019 and 2021 first-round draft pick the night of the 2019 NBA Draft. For Boston, they would be able to waive Smith before July 1 and only have him count for $3.9 million against their cap the following season and get much-needed rebounding help in Henson, all while shedding Hayward's cap hit. For Cleveland, they can further accelerate their rebuild and add players in the draft like Nassir Little and Tre Jones via their newly-acquired picks.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/evandammarell/2019/03/08/the-cleveland-cavaliers-should-trade-for-gordon-hayward-this-summer/

This article, while written on March 8th before Hayward’s resurgence, is used as the prototype for these very recent articles.

Keep dreamin’, Cavs fans/writers.

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 09:14:01 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

They’re  expecting picks from us!?!?

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 09:24:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yeah, the picks are go to Cleveland not to Boston.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 09:42:07 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

I knew that.

Sorry.....I was unclear...my fault....the exclamation point was before the question mark, so I was making more of an exclamatory declarative statement,  and the? Was more for incredulous disbelief at their gall at expecting that.

In my post just above my unclear one, I explained that.

My bad, and TP, nick, for a logical interpretation of ambiguous punctuation.👍🏀☘️

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 09:45:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I knew that.

Sorry.....I was unclear...my fault....the exclamation point was before the question mark, so I was making more of an exclamatory declarative statement,  and the? Was more for incredulous disbelief at their gall at expecting that.

In my post just above my unclear one, I explained that.

My bad, and TP, nick, for a logical interpretation of ambiguous punctuation.👍🏀☘️
Oh, my bad. My response was adding on to your response not answering any question. I knew you knew where the picks were going.

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 10:11:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
To be fair, Fedor's idea had no draft picks of any kind in the trade.  It was Hayward for Smith and Henson or Clarkson.  Nothing else was discussed.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 06:01:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They really have nothing attractive to trade him for.   They can be interested all they want, but who would want any of their guys?

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 07:57:31 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I still think that the cleanest trade for Anthony Davis involves sending Hayward out. But there would have to be a third team involved who actually wants Gordon. I guess Cleveland could potentially be that if they really want to take their team in that direction.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 08:05:42 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Durant signs with us, trade Hayward to GS in sign and trade..resign Irving..Trade for Davis..there, ready for next season 😊
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin