Author Topic: For Fans of Barstool Sports  (Read 13325 times)

Re: For Fans of Barstool Sports
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 12:16:55 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
The big issue at play is that the blog is essentially "locker room talk"  that obviously goes beyond those confines.  What's all in jest to some may not appear that way to others due to the medium used to deliver the message...It's tough to tell what's a joke and what's serious when it's in type.

When you put that stuff on the internet, you're obviously going to get backlash, but i think barstool's arguement here is that it isn't saying anything that comediens like Daniel Tosh/Louis C.K./ect haven't said before.  I'm not on board with 100% of the stuff they run with on that site, but i'm still ok with it, overall.

I think the reason there's a backlash about it is because of the context of the Barstool Blackout events.  It's one thing for comedians like Daniel Tosh to make shock-jokes to get laughs on TV.  It's entirely another for a popular sports commentary website to make those jokes and then put on large "blackout" -- referring to getting so drunk that you can't remember what you do, or what happens to you -- parties in conjunction with institutions of higher learning like Boston College and Northeastern.

The intention of the "Barstool Blackout" parties seems to be that irresponsible, unhealthy drinking will take place en mass, creating precisely the sorts of situations in which rape / sexual assault most often happen.  Given the comments of "El Prez", the head of Barstool, that adds an overall disgusting message to the whole thing which no university that claims to hold high Catholic values and the ideal of "men and women for others" should support.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 12:19:12 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
The big issue at play is that the blog is essentially "locker room talk"  that obviously goes beyond those confines.  What's all in jest to some may not appear that way to others due to the medium used to deliver the message...It's tough to tell what's a joke and what's serious when it's in type.

When you put that stuff on the internet, you're obviously going to get backlash, but i think barstool's arguement here is that it isn't saying anything that comediens like Daniel Tosh/Louis C.K./ect haven't said before.  I'm not on board with 100% of the stuff they run with on that site, but i'm still ok with it, overall.

I think the reason there's a backlash about it is because of the context of the Barstool Blackout events.  It's one thing for comedians like Daniel Tosh to make shock-jokes to get laughs on TV.  It's entirely another for a popular sports commentary website to make those jokes and then put on large "blackout" -- referring to getting so drunk that you can't remember what you do, or what happens to you -- parties in conjunction with institutions of higher learning like Boston College and Northeastern.

The intention of the "Barstool Blackout" parties seems to be that irresponsible, unhealthy drinking will take place en mass, creating precisely the sorts of situations in which rape / sexual assault most often happen.  Given the comments of "El Prez", the head of Barstool, that adds an overall disgusting message to the whole thing which no university that claims to hold high Catholic values and the ideal of "men and women for others" should support.

Supply and demand, friend. The link you posted yourself points out that tickets were being sold for as much as $200. People want an event like this, he's simply providing it.

EDIT: Also, isn't the name a bit of a play on words? Isn't it a glow-party?

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 12:22:16 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Meh, fake life stuff. People blowing his comments out of proportion and making this a bigger deal than it is. Then he calls them out for it, and they add fuel to the fire, and he just mocks them p---ing them off even more. Why attempt to "fight the power" of this guy who clearly made a joke and doesn't condone rape? It's bizarro-world stuff.

It's tough to take your argument too seriously when you're ripping off his own vernacular.

Well, I think he makes a good point in there as well (I don't know what 'fake life stuff' means).

People protesting it will make more people notice it, which will add some fans who like that stuff, but will for sure bump up the publicity for whatever the event is, and on top of that it will spike his unique visitors number, increasing ad revenue, making him more money.

He's not doing anything illegal, he's just doing something stupid and tasteless, and making a big deal about it does kind of indirectly further his agenda.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 12:23:39 PM »

Offline boom

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 26
Meh, fake life stuff. People blowing his comments out of proportion and making this a bigger deal than it is. Then he calls them out for it, and they add fuel to the fire, and he just mocks them p---ing them off even more. Why attempt to "fight the power" of this guy who clearly made a joke and doesn't condone rape? It's bizarro-world stuff.

It's tough to take your argument too seriously when you're ripping off his own vernacular.

Yeah, because no one else has ever used those terms before.

In fact, I'm not even a big fan of the site.

What I am a fan of is people realizing how ridiculous they are about certain issues. People are up in arms because he cracked a joke about girls wearing tight fitting clothes and prancing around looking for attention and then getting harassed with attention. He's not saying go out and rape chicks. He's not condoning guys that rape chicks.

See, there's the real world which we live in and obviously society, and the people that frequent the site (including girls who regularly add their comments and submit their pictures) don't give two craps about, and then there's fake-life-living in where people that care about things other (normal) people don't, and make a huge stink about and try to make changes that people living in the real world find humorous.

This is one of those cases. 

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 12:24:03 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
The big issue at play is that the blog is essentially "locker room talk"  that obviously goes beyond those confines.  What's all in jest to some may not appear that way to others due to the medium used to deliver the message...It's tough to tell what's a joke and what's serious when it's in type.

When you put that stuff on the internet, you're obviously going to get backlash, but i think barstool's arguement here is that it isn't saying anything that comediens like Daniel Tosh/Louis C.K./ect haven't said before.  I'm not on board with 100% of the stuff they run with on that site, but i'm still ok with it, overall.

I think the reason there's a backlash about it is because of the context of the Barstool Blackout events.  It's one thing for comedians like Daniel Tosh to make shock-jokes to get laughs on TV.  It's entirely another for a popular sports commentary website to make those jokes and then put on large "blackout" -- referring to getting so drunk that you can't remember what you do, or what happens to you -- parties in conjunction with institutions of higher learning like Boston College and Northeastern.

The intention of the "Barstool Blackout" parties seems to be that irresponsible, unhealthy drinking will take place en mass, creating precisely the sorts of situations in which rape / sexual assault most often happen.  Given the comments of "El Prez", the head of Barstool, that adds an overall disgusting message to the whole thing which no university that claims to hold high Catholic values and the ideal of "men and women for others" should support.

The schools could do what my school did to try and prevent binge drinking at out big football game, give students ton's of work due the next day.

Infact they reported it on barstool

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/around-barstool/does-this-look-like-the-face-of-an-ithica-faculty-member-who-sent-a-mass-email-to-teachers-telling-them-to-give-lots-of-homework-and-tests-during-cortaca-jug-weekend-so-kids-would-have-to-study-instea/
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 12:25:24 PM »

Offline boom

• Derrick White
The best part about this whole thing is that everyone feature on the site is an ADULT (unless your Brady's little kid). If these girls featured on the site, and the people that WILLINGLY purchase tickets to a party, why the heck do you people care what they do? Is it really affecting your day-to-day lives?

I mean they're adults. I'd hate for someone to tell you what you should or shouldn't do. It really is bizarro-world.

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 12:27:40 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
The best part about this whole thing is that everyone feature on the site is an ADULT (unless your Brady's little kid). If these girls featured on the site, and the people that WILLINGLY purchase tickets to a party, why the heck do you people care what they do? Is it really affecting your day-to-day lives?

I mean they're adults. I'd hate for someone to tell you what you should or shouldn't do. It really is bizarro-world.

I agree with this completely.

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

It's important to care about the message sent by supporting an entity like Barstool Sports.  It's about the kind of culture we want to live in, the kind of values we want to recognize and reward.  The point of taking a stand on this is to raise awareness about the fact that rape is a big deal.  It's not a laughing matter, and we should make every effort to change cultural values that minimize it, and condemn any organization that profits by making light of it.

What I am a fan of is people realizing how ridiculous they are about certain issues. People are up in arms because he cracked a joke about girls wearing tight fitting clothes and prancing around looking for attention and then getting harassed with attention. He's not saying go out and rape chicks. He's not condoning guys that rape chicks.

See, there's the real world which we live in and obviously society, and the people that frequent the site (including girls who regularly add their comments and submit their pictures) don't give two craps about, and then there's fake-life-living in where people that care about things other (normal) people don't, and make a huge stink about and try to make changes that people living in the real world find humorous.

Saying that somebody "deserves to be raped" because of what they are wearing, joke or not, is unacceptable.  That is not "harassing them with attention."  What you're doing is victim blaming.

You know what happens in the real world?  People -- normal people, who dress and act like everybody else -- get raped and sexually assaulted.  They get violated and treated like their person dignity doesn't matter.  That's what happens in the real world.

The only thing "fake life" about this whole thing is the notion that in any just world rape is a laughing matter.  The reality is that in the "real world," 1 in 4 women is a victim of sexual assault or rape in her lifetime.  That's 1 in 4 out of all women who care a great deal about this issue.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:49:35 PM by PosImpos »

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 12:49:16 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I suppose it's your thoughts on humor/comedy -

Like I said, I think it's a swing and a miss at a joke - Shock humor for sure. I understand the counter argument but I just think it is what it is. A bad attempt at humor that shouldn't be taken as anything further than that.

I disagree with what IP was saying earlier about it being that much different from Louis CK and Daniel Tosh (though I'm not that familiar with him). He's cultivated a character that he's fairly consistent with, and this attempt at a joke is just an annexation of that.

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 12:50:09 PM »

Offline southshorematt

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 46
Barstool rules... everyone who hates on Dave are just mad because he's more successful than you

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 12:51:38 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Barstool rules... everyone who hates on Dave are just mad because he's more successful than you

Check AND Mate!

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 12:51:49 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Like I said, I think it's a swing and a miss at a joke - Shock humor for sure. I understand the counter argument but I just think it is what it is. A bad attempt at humor that shouldn't be taken as anything further than that.

I disagree with what IP was saying earlier about it being that much different from Louis CK and Daniel Tosh (though I'm not that familiar with him). He's cultivated a character that he's fairly consistent with, and this attempt at a joke is just an annexation of that.

Again, I think the key difference here is that Daniel Tosh isn't putting on "blackout" parties while joking about the kinds of awful things that often happen at such parties, and major universities are not helping him make a profit by getting their students to attend.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 12:53:28 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Yes.  That's definitely it.  All of those sexual assault victims and feminists who are outraged by Barstool are just jealous of El Prez's success.

Very insightful.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 12:57:16 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Again, I think the key difference here is that Daniel Tosh isn't putting on "blackout" parties while joking about the kinds of awful things that often happen at such parties, and major universities are not helping him make a profit by getting their students to attend.

At the same time, he's shown an awful lot of videos of these previous 'black out' parties. There's got to be some kind of understanding of what people are getting themselves into. It's also being held in Boston with prevalent security and police. Like it or not, similar events are being held at said colleges in a lot less safe environments.

It also helps that there's a lot of pressure on the guy to avoid an incident - in light of the comments he makes, if something were to happen the backlash would almost surely end his 'empire.'

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 01:01:24 PM »

Offline boom

• Derrick White

It's important to care about the message sent by supporting an entity like Barstool Sports.  It's about the kind of culture we want to live in, the kind of values we want to recognize and reward.  The point of taking a stand on this is to raise awareness about the fact that rape is a big deal.  It's not a laughing matter, and we should make every effort to change cultural values that minimize it, and condemn any organization that profits by making light of it.

Saying that somebody "deserves to be raped" because of what they are wearing, joke or not, is unacceptable.  That is not "harassing them with attention."  What you're doing is victim blaming.

You know what happens in the real world?  People -- normal people, who dress and act like everybody else -- get raped and sexually assaulted.  They get violated and treated like their person dignity doesn't matter.  That's what happens in the real world.

The only thing "fake life" about this whole thing is the notion that in any just world rape is a laughing matter.  The reality is that in the "real world," 1 in 4 women is a victim of sexual assault or rape in her lifetime.  That's 1 in 4 out of all women who care a great deal about this issue.

Please don't tell me what I am or am not promoting. I am not victim blaming. I don't think that is acceptable in anyway shape or form. It's despicable and I highly admire those that persevere.  But I also support free speech and understand the CONTEXT of the joke (pro-tip: not promoting raping of chicks). They are not making light of rape victims, or anything of the such. They simply made a (ill) joke that people either laughed at or brushed off, giving the context of what it was in.

That's the difference that you're missing.

In addition, why are you protesting this so hard when it's adults who willingly purchase tickets and browse Barstool or send in columns or pictures of themselves half naked?

This is like if someone try to boycott CB for something Jeff said regarding the Knick's organization and how sucky they are. Knick fans would be up in arms and we all would just sit there and laugh. That's how I feel right now.

FAKE LIFE BIZARRO-WORLD