Author Topic: WEEI axes "Dale & Holley": Michael Holley moves to Big Show  (Read 32783 times)

Re: WEEI axes "Dale & Holley": Michael Holley moves to Big Show
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2011, 11:57:03 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
What did Dale and Holley say today? Is anyone listening?

Possible unintended humor but asking if anyone's listening to a show that's about to be canceled...

I don't think its being cancelled because of their failings, I think its being cancelled because of afternoon drives failings and WEEI trying to bolster that show which brings more listeners and sponsors
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2011, 12:07:12 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

Possible unintended humor but asking if anyone's listening to a show that's about to be canceled...

I don't think its being cancelled because of their failings, I think its being cancelled because of afternoon drives failings and WEEI trying to bolster that show which brings more listeners and sponsors

Maybe it's just ironic timing, but T&R have been bashing Dale for some time for being boring and scared to have a real opinion about anything.  Wonder if the higher ups at EEI felt the same way?

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2011, 01:01:57 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Gents,

Thanks for the recap.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 01:17:06 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I find it so bizarre that they are having Merloni and Mutnanski or how ever you spell it. I really don't see how those 2 can do any better at all. If they were going to switch it up they should really switch it up I really don't think those 2 will be able to carry a midday show

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2011, 02:01:43 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I don't feel Holley and Ordway are a good match but time will tell.It sounds to like they are trying to push Dale out of the door.Even though they gave him spot time on the Big Show and play by play on the Red Soxs,also will be doing his SUnday football show it seems strange a guy with 20yrs with the same company a schedule like a parttime person.
Maybe they're hoping he will find a better situation and leave on his own in time.

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2011, 02:20:50 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
I don't feel Holley and Ordway are a good match but time will tell.It sounds to like they are trying to push Dale out of the door.Even though they gave him spot time on the Big Show and play by play on the Red Soxs,also will be doing his SUnday football show it seems strange a guy with 20yrs with the same company a schedule like a parttime person.
Maybe they're hoping he will find a better situation and leave on his own in time.

I think all of us who either still listen to EEI or at one point listened all respect Dale as a professional and as a knowledgable guy, but he just doesn't have the "Boston mentality" to cut it here.  He's just sooo Ned Flanders-ish.  He backs down to callers and his main comeback is usually "i'm not so sure about that."  I think he could probably do a great job in say, Maine or New Hampshire or somewhere in Florida.  I actually applaud EEI for this move, Dale was holding Holley back hopefully Holley does well on the big show...

As for EEI in general, that station needs to get younger and FAST.  They're not used to facing competition and therefore could sit back with the same old (literally) personalities year after year.  They haven't groomed a young personality in ages (who was the last? Holley?!?).  I guess they're just going to throw Lou and Mud in the fire and see if either can come out as that new face.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2011, 02:26:47 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I like that they are trying to switch things up, but they are putting too much stock in Merloni. Seems like a nice enough guy, but has he ever had an opinion on anything, or said anything important? Dude is way too vanilla.

BRING BACK PETE SHEPPARD!

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2011, 02:51:21 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Dale has basically been fired from every sports job he has had recently, no? Sox, Bruins, WEEI...

I have NEVER been a fan of his, and his Scutaro>Jeter argument did me in...

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2011, 03:01:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Dale has basically been fired from every sports job he has had recently, no? Sox, Bruins, WEEI...

Its true.  Although I think he was railroaded a bit in each case.

...well, the Red Sox one doesn't count, since he never really had the job, and was just basically a fill-in guy, because the guy they really wanted wasn't available full time.

But being fired by the B's was a bit ridiculous, and I still think was because he criticized them for the terrible Thornton trade. 

And with WEEI, it was a travesty since he was part of the only show doing well...but he was just a casualty of numbers. 

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2011, 03:04:44 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Its true.  Although I think he was railroaded a bit in each case.

...well, the Red Sox one doesn't count, since he never really had the job, and was just basically a fill-in guy, because the guy they really wanted wasn't available full time.

But being fired by the B's was a bit ridiculous, and I still think was because he criticized them for the terrible Thornton trade. 

And with WEEI, it was a travesty since he was part of the only show doing well...but he was just a casualty of numbers. 

He claimed today that he was offered a 4 year contract by Nesn to broadcast the bruins but turned it down because he had just signed his 5 year deal with WEEI.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2011, 03:06:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Maybe it's just ironic timing, but T&R have been bashing Dale for some time for being boring and scared to have a real opinion about anything.  Wonder if the higher ups at EEI felt the same way?

They have been bashing him since Day 1.  Wallach hates Dale, mostly because Dale always refused to allow him to speak outside of the flashes, and he was constantly passed over even to be a fill-in when he was at WEEI.  So, since Wallach went to 98.5, he has been bashing Dale ever since, and T&R have helped.  

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2011, 03:13:50 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown

They have been bashing him since Day 1.  Wallach hates Dale, mostly because Dale always refused to allow him to speak outside of the flashes, and he was constantly passed over even to be a fill-in when he was at WEEI.  So, since Wallach went to 98.5, he has been bashing Dale ever since, and T&R have helped.  

In the beginning, it seemed like the Dale bashing was more to tease Wallach, by announcing on the air "Wallach hates Dale Arnold!" just to make Wallach squirm in his chair.  But lately, it has definitely moved on to full-blown criticism across the board.  I don't know how much longer Holley is under contract, but I wouldn't be surprised to see The Sports Hub try to make a huge offer to steal him away.

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2011, 03:33:17 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

In the beginning, it seemed like the Dale bashing was more to tease Wallach, by announcing on the air "Wallach hates Dale Arnold!" just to make Wallach squirm in his chair.  But lately, it has definitely moved on to full-blown criticism across the board.  I don't know how much longer Holley is under contract, but I wouldn't be surprised to see The Sports Hub try to make a huge offer to steal him away.

Holley's contract was up on March 1st so I'm assuming this change coincides with a new deal for Holley.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2011, 03:46:57 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown

Holley's contract was up on March 1st so I'm assuming this change coincides with a new deal for Holley.

Thanks for the info!  I would love to find out the inside scoop how the negotiations went down...for example, if 98.5 did make him an offer?  And if the move to The Big Show was done to get him to stay?

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2011, 03:54:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Maybe it's just ironic timing, but T&R have been bashing Dale for some time for being boring and scared to have a real opinion about anything.  Wonder if the higher ups at EEI felt the same way?

In the beginning, it seemed like the Dale bashing was more to tease Wallach, by announcing on the air "Wallach hates Dale Arnold!" just to make Wallach squirm in his chair.  But lately, it has definitely moved on to full-blown criticism across the board.  I don't know how much longer Holley is under contract, but I wouldn't be surprised to see The Sports Hub try to make a huge offer to steal him away.

Thanks for the info!  I would love to find out the inside scoop how the negotiations went down...for example, if 98.5 did make him an offer?  And if the move to The Big Show was done to get him to stay?

My guess is that it never got to the point where there was negotiations outside of WEEI.

I have no idea of the contract status' of the Hub talent but where would they've plugged Holley?  My guess is that the talent over there is signed to contracts in excess of two years (probably closer to 4-5) and the station isn't even 2 years old.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:02:02 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team