Author Topic: I hate watching Marcus Smart play basketball  (Read 13873 times)

Re: I hate watching Marcus Smart play basketball
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2021, 07:45:15 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
He almost fooled me with those 2 good games in a row. Than back to the old Marcus. Shame on me for believing for a second he would change his game.

Way to many iso plays. Bad shots, lack of passing, one on one ball while the rest of the team stood around.

I will put a little blame on Stevens for putting him out there with Kemba, and 3 guys who can't score. I guess he felt the need to try to do more, but still??

I guess I would have forgiven him if he missed that wide open three at the buzzer, but he didn't.

I back to, I'd trade him for a decent return.

« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2021, 11:08:46 AM »

Offline Indocelts

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 230
Interesting fact this  season on the number of shots Smart takes and the win/loss column:

Number of shot taken > 10,  total = 8 games, 2 W, 6 L, 25% Win rate
Number of shot taken <=10, total = 8 games, 7 W, 1 L, 88% Win rate

What a difference it is, though the sample size is only 16 games. In  fact, the only loss to Indiana when Smart took 8 FG is only by 1 point.

We can argue that Smart feels the pressure to shoot more when he thinks that the Celtics is losing, and vice versa. But the fact is, his hero ball does not work! Our team still lost with an alarming rate.

So, even when we are behind, Smart should not take over by shooting more, but he  still needs to resort back as the ball distributor. Let the  2 Jays takes the bulk of the shots. We live by them, die by them.

« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2021, 11:42:19 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Fortunately the games haven’t been close and there’s been no need for Smart to revert to his hero ball tendencies. I suspect this is a big reason why Smart has been playing well.

I think when the team is struggling (or when the game is tight), he feels a need to give more effort, which translates to “putting the team on his back” which then leads to him trying to do too much.

Fascinating theory. I'm going to keep an eye out for this.

How about that Spurs game? Lol

We should have a tally of when Smart goes into hero mode and it sparks a run for the other team.
- LilRip

« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2021, 12:58:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Horrific D and hero balling from several C's are what sunk the Celtics last night.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2021, 01:05:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Horrific D and hero balling from several C's are what sunk the Celtics last night.

Its the same story

« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2021, 01:09:56 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Its the same story

I just think its unfair to point the finger at Smart last night for hero balling where Tatum & Kemba were clearly guilty of it also and made some head-scratching shot decisions.  I also have zero problems with the shot Smart took with 2.4 left.  He had a great look.  Just missed it. 

« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2021, 01:13:30 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Its the same story

I just think its unfair to point the finger at Smart last night for hero balling where Tatum & Kemba were clearly guilty of it also and made some head-scratching shot decisions.  I also have zero problems with the shot Smart took with 2.4 left.  He had a great look.  Just missed it.
The thing is, Tatum and Walker are quite simply significantly better offensive players than Smart.  Sometimes you need someone to play hero ball, Smart should never, and I mean NEVER, be that person.  Smart just isn't a good enough offensive player and especially shooter to play that way.  And that is the problem with Smart.  He thinks he is and plays like he is.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2021, 01:21:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Its the same story

Its not just a regular open 3

Its with less than 3-5 min in the game.  Smart history in the capability of making these shots (even wide open ones)  is a super low percentage

BUT I can't blame Smart more than I blame Brad for leaving him out there after the timeout

Odds are he could make the shot vs HOPE/miracle that he can

Brad doesn't seem to understand the difference imo

« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2021, 01:26:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Its the same story

Its with less than 3-5 min in the game.  Smart history in the capability of making these shots (even wide open ones)  is a super low percentage

BUT I can't blame Smart more than I blame Brad for leaving him out there after the timeout

Sure but in no way does that dismiss the fact that both Tatum & Kemba can fall into hero mode to the detriment of the team also.  One my biggest issues has been situational basketball on the offensive end.  Milking a small lead, coming up court and immediately setting for a pull up three rather than run the offense. Stuff like that drives me nuts and you see Kemba doing it, Tatum doing it, Smart doing it.  Shots that don't need to be taken given the situation.

« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2021, 01:42:55 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572

Its the same story

Sure but in no way does that dismiss the fact that both Tatum & Kemba can fall into hero mode to the detriment of the team also.  One my biggest issues has been situational basketball on the offensive end.  Milking a small lead, coming up court and immediately setting for a pull up three rather than run the offense. Stuff like that drives me nuts and you see Kemba doing it, Tatum doing it, Smart doing it.  Shots that don't need to be taken given the situation.

Hey, don't leave Brown out. He was guilty of a few himself.

« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2021, 05:14:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Its the same story

100 percent true

It sets a bad precedent.... regardless if they make it

This is why I was happy with how the team functioned/influenced under Pritchard care for the ball

Try to make that extra pass.   Brown and Tatum passed more

Not with Kemba chucking up instant shots.  Then becomes....  "I can do that too"  "I can do one better" 

« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2021, 05:16:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Is this an assertion based on numbers you've actually seen or compiled yourself, or is this just your opinion?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2021, 05:28:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Is this an assertion based on numbers you've actually seen or compiled yourself, or is this just your opinion?

Smart was an atrocious shooter at the beginning of his career.   And the year, Celts traded for Irving, his shooting improved to respectable levels.  However, in crucial situations....  he was/is not still today able to make those difficult shots late in the game. Unreliable

Yesterday he missed two runners within 5 ft away from the basket late in the game.   He missed the open 3 (final shot).   Against the Miami heat,  he missed that crucial final seconds layup against two players waiting for him and then was angry at the ref for not giving him the foul call...  there are many other examples I rather not list

Why do you think the media/reporter are asking him about his shot selection (issues)  this season? 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 06:02:08 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2021, 06:58:34 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Interesting fact this  season on the number of shots Smart takes and the win/loss column:

Number of shot taken > 10,  total = 8 games, 2 W, 6 L, 25% Win rate
Number of shot taken <=10, total = 8 games, 7 W, 1 L, 88% Win rate

What a difference it is, though the sample size is only 16 games. In  fact, the only loss to Indiana when Smart took 8 FG is only by 1 point.

We can argue that Smart feels the pressure to shoot more when he thinks that the Celtics is losing, and vice versa. But the fact is, his hero ball does not work! Our team still lost with an alarming rate.

So, even when we are behind, Smart should not take over by shooting more, but he  still needs to resort back as the ball distributor. Let the  2 Jays takes the bulk of the shots. We live by them, die by them.

TP. These are interesting numbers even on a small sample size. Smart needs to be reined in.
If he plays within his limits he can have a borderline All Star impact on the game.
When he doesn't he's just an ordinary role player (great defense, bad offense).

« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2021, 09:05:02 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I took the 30 top PGs for minutes played through 1/26.  Smart was 18th in minutes played, 23rd in TS%, 8th in Assists/TOVs, and (through 1/27) was 9th in Defensive Real +/-. Pretty much matches his reputation as a below-average shooter and an above-average ball-handler and defender. Well worth the money he gets, but he drives me nuts offensively. You definitely would rather see him pass than shoot. In fairness, he makes so many good plays defensively that I think we take them for granted at this point, but nonetheless, his judgment on the offensive side leaves something to be desired.