Author Topic: How do the NBA salary cap rules really work?  (Read 90632 times)

Re: How do the NBA salary cap rules really work?
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2024, 02:00:11 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I believe that a player on a two-way, becomes an RFA after the season.  So if the Celtics had done this before mid March, and signed on another two-way to replace Queta, they would have some beneficial control over that player, I believe.

Re: How do the NBA salary cap rules really work?
« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2024, 03:02:44 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Some questions for C21 or anybody else that knows:

1.  What type of contract are we allowed to sign Queta to, particularly in terms of how many years?  Since we can't use the MLE, is it limited to a two-year vet minimum, or is there another exception under the new CBA?

2.  Is there any benefit in terms of retention rights to signing somebody to a two-way contract for the last few games?  Obviously they could become acclimated with the team, but are there two-year two-way contracts?  Are there any sort of restricted free agency rights, and how do those work?

Regarding #1, I don’t think there is anything available other than the minimum.  I expect it to look similar to Hauser’s contract when he was promoted two years ago (team option for second year, partial guarantee if picked up) and that the Celtics decline the option and re-sign him using non-Bird rights this summer, depending who they pick up in the draft.

Regarding #2, players can’t be signed to two-way contracts at this point in the season (the deadline is sometime in early or mid-March), so the Celtics will not be able to fill their open 2-way spot.

Michael Scotto: The Boston Celtics have signed Neemias Queta to a two-year deal, which includes a team option for the 2024-25 season, league sources told @hoopshype. 3 hours ago – via Twitter MikeAScotto