Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 339577 times)

Re: Anthony Davis trade thread(latest rumor page 202)
« Reply #3720 on: June 12, 2019, 09:14:01 PM »

Offline ObjectivityOverBias

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
Kyrie can put this all to bed by signing back with Boston.

No offense, but this is probably the most oxymoron of a fan-base I have ever seen, & I am a Cleveland fan.

For other superstars to come to Boston, Kyrie needs to stay.

(Boston fans on the other hand, want him gone..)

The only teams to win championships for the most part had superstars.

(Boston fans wants to get rid of their only one....Okay....)

AD has been proven unable to lead a team by himself with superior talent than Boston

(Boston fans want the best player gone....)

Strange bunch; anyway, If Kyrie signs, Rich changes his tune, guaranteed. Kyrie is the key to this very simplistic puzzle. AD+Plus Kyrie=Kobe & Shaq. You cannot get AD without Kyrie. It is that simple.

This is not trig, not even basic math, this is common NBA sense. Supertstars team up now and days. Like when KG did not want to come to Boston until Allen got traded. This aint hard folks..

« Reply #3721 on: June 12, 2019, 09:22:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Do you know what oxymoron means?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3722 on: June 12, 2019, 09:28:00 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Do you know what oxymoron means?

Clearly not and his post was pretty ugly.  And clearly muddled.

« Reply #3723 on: June 12, 2019, 09:32:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kyrie can put this all to bed by signing back with Boston.

No offense, but this is probably the most oxymoron of a fan-base I have ever seen, & I am a Cleveland fan.

For other superstars to come to Boston, Kyrie needs to stay.

(Boston fans on the other hand, want him gone..)

The only teams to win championships for the most part had superstars.

(Boston fans wants to get rid of their only one....Okay....)

AD has been proven unable to lead a team by himself with superior talent than Boston

(Boston fans want the best player gone....)

Strange bunch; anyway, If Kyrie signs, Rich changes his tune, guaranteed. Kyrie is the key to this very simplistic puzzle. AD+Plus Kyrie=Kobe & Shaq. You cannot get AD without Kyrie. It is that simple.

This is not trig, not even basic math, this is common NBA sense. Supertstars team up now and days. Like when KG did not want to come to Boston until Allen got traded. This aint hard folks..
Being a fan of another team and coming here just to be critical of the Celtics, their players or the fanbase is "trolling" and not allowed. Fans of other fanbases are expected to adhere very strictly to our site rules.

You were sent a friendly reminder of this,
yet still want to take it down this road. Next time, you will be instantly gone without a warning.

« Reply #3724 on: June 12, 2019, 09:39:26 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Danny must be thinking that Davis will really like Stevens and Horford and maybe a couple others...maybe even the adoring fans in the Garden.

And if he stays, a banner won't be too far off, Kyrie or no Kyrie....

« Reply #3725 on: June 12, 2019, 10:04:50 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
If we can pair AD with Plus Kyrie to become the new Shaq & Kobe, we have to find a way to get Plus Kyrie here for the foreseeable future.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #3726 on: June 12, 2019, 11:06:04 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
If we can pair AD with Plus Kyrie to become the new Shaq & Kobe, we have to find a way to get Plus Kyrie here for the foreseeable future.

Careful with expectations.  Can you imagine what just happened to Kyrie against the Bucks happening to 26 year old Kobe?  I also wouldn’t say AD is ready to be mentionedin prime Shaq territory, though he’s much closer to Shaq’s impact than Kyrie is to Kobe.  In any case I get your point...I’m nitpicking.

« Reply #3727 on: June 12, 2019, 11:11:58 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Careful with expectations.  Can you imagine what just happened to Kyrie against the Bucks happening to 26 year old Kobe?  I also wouldn’t say AD is ready to be mentionedin prime Shaq territory, though he’s much closer to Shaq’s impact than Kyrie is to Kobe.  In any case I get your point...I’m nitpicking.

When Kobe was 26 (04-05), the Lakers finished 34-48 (12th in the West) and didn’t make the playoffs. Even the “Mamba Mentality” didn’t change the NBA’s calculus: even the best players need at least one supporting star (who actually produces like one night in and night out) to compete for a championship. I always insist Pau does not get nearly enough credit for Kobe’s last two rings.

« Reply #3728 on: June 12, 2019, 11:29:22 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

When Kobe was 26 (04-05), the Lakers finished 34-48 (12th in the West) and didn’t make the playoffs. Even the “Mamba Mentality” didn’t change the NBA’s calculus: even the best players need at least one supporting star (who actually produces like one night in and night out) to compete for a championship. I always insist Pau does not get nearly enough credit for Kobe’s last two rings.

Great point! 

As far as Kyrie and Kobe....I don't think 1-way Kyrie can be compared to 2-way Kobe.  People compare Kobe to Jordan and speak of him as a possible top 7 player in history.  or top 5. 

« Reply #3729 on: June 12, 2019, 11:41:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Great point! 

As far as Kyrie and Kobe....I don't think 1-way Kyrie can be compared to 2-way Kobe.  People compare Kobe to Jordan and speak of him as a possible top 7 player in history.  or top 5.
I always have thought of Kobe as overrated, particularly on defence. The fact that Kobe made 12 All-Defence teams while Gerald Wallace made it once, Ron Artest made it 4 times, Marion never made it and Iguodala only made it twice seems insane to me.

That being said, he was much much better than Kyrie is
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3730 on: June 12, 2019, 11:47:59 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Great point! 

I always have thought of Kobe as overrated, particularly on defence. The fact that Kobe made 12 All-Defence teams while Gerald Wallace made it once, Ron Artest made it 4 times, Marion never made it and Iguodala only made it twice seems insane to me.

I've always thought defensive awards are bogus most of the time. They highly favor the flashy defenders that can get a bunch of impressive steals and blocks, instead of players that have sound fundamental. I think Kobe is a perfect example of this.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #3731 on: June 13, 2019, 12:07:26 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Great point! 

I've always thought defensive awards are bogus most of the time. They highly favor the flashy defenders that can get a bunch of impressive steals and blocks, instead of players that have sound fundamental. I think Kobe is a perfect example of this.
Another good example is Marcus Smart. Smart's defense has been All-Defense worthy since his 2nd year. But he got no recognition until he started. Played the same amount of minutes per game. Played as well if not better than this year. But he came off the bench and didn't rack up huge steal or block numbers, so no All-Defense for you, Marcus Smart.

« Reply #3732 on: June 13, 2019, 12:13:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Great point! 

Another good example is Marcus Smart. Smart's defense has been All-Defense worthy since his 2nd year. But he got no recognition until he started. Played the same amount of minutes per game. Played as well if not better than this year. But he came off the bench and didn't rack up huge steal or block numbers, so no All-Defense for you, Marcus Smart.
100% agree with you both. That people constantly make a joke out of their vote (see Kyrie and Dame getting votes) really invalidates it for me.

« Reply #3733 on: June 13, 2019, 01:07:11 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
So, reading the SI article again, Paul didn’t technically say that AD absolutely would not resign in Boston. Rather, what he said is essentially the same thing he said about every other team - that there will be no extension and AD will go into free agency in 2020. Read it again:

“They can trade for him, but it’ll be for one year,” Paul says. “I mean: If the Celtics traded for Anthony Davis, we would go there and we would abide by our contractual [obligations] and we would go into free agency in 2020. I’ve stated that to them. But in the event that he decides to walk away and you give away assets? Don’t blame Rich Paul.”   

That second bolded clause is clearly a conditional, not a statement of fact. He’s saying that IF (NOT WHEN) AD LEAVES IN FREE AGENCY, it wouldn’t be his fault for Ainge wasting assets, as he warned them that AD’s preferences are LA or NY. That is much different than what is being reported.

And when combined with the first clause and the “one year” comment, I think that refers to him saying merely that AD is not signing any extensions (with any team), rather than a categorical statement that he will not resign in Boston. It’s just a statement of fact that AD will test free agency, which he’ll do with every team as he’s not signing an extension.

Thus, the more I read this and the more I look at all the other reports, it looks more and more like much of this narrative about AD not resigning in Boston at all is being misinterpreted to fit a more juicy media narrative. Clearly AD and Klutch have preferences for a bigger market and LAL in particular (for obvious reasons given who Rich Paul is), but there really is no base for these claims and reports that AD’s camp is suggesting he will categorically not resign in Boston.

And that’s all beside the fact that even if this was the case that his camp was putting this message out there it’s very likely an empty threat as recent history demonstrates, and teams can definitely win over players by winning and having them in a good and stable environment.

« Reply #3734 on: June 13, 2019, 01:13:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
So, reading the SI article again, Paul didn’t technically say that AD absolutely would not resign in Boston. Rather, what he said is essentially the same thing he said about every other team - that there will be no extension and AD will go into free agency in 2020. Read it again:

“They can trade for him, but it’ll be for one year,” Paul says. “I mean: If the Celtics traded for Anthony Davis, we would go there and we would abide by our contractual [obligations] and we would go into free agency in 2020. I’ve stated that to them. But in the event that he decides to walk away and you give away assets? Don’t blame Rich Paul.”   

That second bolded clause is clearly a conditional, not a statement of fact. He’s saying that IF (NOT WHEN) AD LEAVES IN FREE AGENCY, it wouldn’t be his fault for Ainge wasting assets, as he warned them that AD’s preferences are LA or NY. That is much different than what is being reported.

And when combined with the first clause and the “one year” comment, I think that refers to him saying merely that AD is not signing any extensions (with any team), rather than a categorical statement that he will not resign in Boston. It’s just a statement of fact that AD will test free agency, which he’ll do with every team as he’s not signing an extension.

Thus, the more I read this and the more I look at all the other reports, it looks more and more like much of this narrative about AD not resigning in Boston at all is being misinterpreted to fit a more juicy media narrative. Clearly AD and Klutch have preferences for a bigger market and LAL in particular (for obvious reasons given who Rich Paul is), but there really is no base for these claims and reports that AD’s camp is suggesting he will categorically not resign in Boston.

And that’s all beside the fact that even if this was the case that his camp was putting this message out there it’s very likely an empty threat as recent history demonstrates, and teams can definitely win over players by winning and having them in a good and stable environment.
The "but in the event" really sticks out to me. Rich and LeBron seem to be panicking at the idea that AD won't go to LA, because if he goes to New York or Boston they both know the LA management won't sit on their hands and waste another (perhaps the last) season of LeBron's prime.