Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 342033 times)

Re: Anthony Davis trade thread(latest rumor page 202)
« Reply #3750 on: June 13, 2019, 11:06:08 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
So, reading the SI article again, Paul didn’t technically say that AD absolutely would not resign in Boston. Rather, what he said is essentially the same thing he said about every other team - that there will be no extension and AD will go into free agency in 2020. Read it again:

“They can trade for him, but it’ll be for one year,” Paul says. “I mean: If the Celtics traded for Anthony Davis, we would go there and we would abide by our contractual [obligations] and we would go into free agency in 2020. I’ve stated that to them. But in the event that he decides to walk away and you give away assets? Don’t blame Rich Paul.”   

That second bolded clause is clearly a conditional, not a statement of fact. He’s saying that IF (NOT WHEN) AD LEAVES IN FREE AGENCY, it wouldn’t be his fault for Ainge wasting assets, as he warned them that AD’s preferences are LA or NY. That is much different than what is being reported.

And when combined with the first clause and the “one year” comment, I think that refers to him saying merely that AD is not signing any extensions (with any team), rather than a categorical statement that he will not resign in Boston. It’s just a statement of fact that AD will test free agency, which he’ll do with every team as he’s not signing an extension.

Thus, the more I read this and the more I look at all the other reports, it looks more and more like much of this narrative about AD not resigning in Boston at all is being misinterpreted to fit a more juicy media narrative. Clearly AD and Klutch have preferences for a bigger market and LAL in particular (for obvious reasons given who Rich Paul is), but there really is no base for these claims and reports that AD’s camp is suggesting he will categorically not resign in Boston.

And that’s all beside the fact that even if this was the case that his camp was putting this message out there it’s very likely an empty threat as recent history demonstrates, and teams can definitely win over players by winning and having them in a good and stable environment.

So I don't think theres no chance that Davis would resign in Boston, but the idea that this is merely a statement of fact that he can't sign an extension is extremely wishful thinking man. Everybody knows he isnt signing an extension anywhere he goes, because it doesn't make financial sense. Yet Paul takes the time to point to Boston specifically as a place where it would be for one year. He does this because he knows Boson is a major player in the talks and doesn't want Davis to go there. He is trying t dissuade Boston from getting involved. I'm not sure you can get any more clear then that first statement, "it will be for one year." It would be one thing if this was all we had to go on, but we also have multiple reports about Boston not being on Davis list for destinations, or on his second ore recent list of Lakers or Knicks. We have his dads comments. This isnt some media invention, there are excellent reporters like Lowe, Woj ect reporting both tha Davis doesn't wnat to go to Boston, and that Ainge doesn't care.

« Reply #3751 on: June 13, 2019, 11:22:46 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Well put, keevsnick.

IMO, Ainge's actions scream of a guy who is only going to work for a couple more years, and he wants one last shot at it before he retires. Wyc shouldn't permit him to operate that way.

« Reply #3752 on: June 13, 2019, 11:24:40 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If AD is A Rod, and L.A. is J Lo, who are the Celtics?

Cameron Diaz?
A Rod's first wife (Cynthia Scurtis)
Derek Jeter?
Victor Conte?
Pam from the Office?

I'm confused.

« Reply #3753 on: June 13, 2019, 11:29:35 AM »

Online RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
For those who understand the salary cap, is there any way the lakers could keep some space available to sign Davis next season but still not punt the season?

I thought I heard they have enough cap space for two major free agents.  Could they sign one this off season, sign a bunch of one year fillers and then have a shot at Davis next season?

Not ideal as Lebron is getting older but better than that mess they had last season. 

« Reply #3754 on: June 13, 2019, 11:33:29 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
For those who understand the salary cap, is there any way the lakers could keep some space available to sign Davis next season but still not punt the season?

I thought I heard they have enough cap space for two major free agents.  Could they sign one this off season, sign a bunch of one year fillers and then have a shot at Davis next season?

Not ideal as Lebron is getting older but better than that mess they had last season.
I'm not sure if they would because the #4 pick will be earning a pretty solid salary (if they don't ship it out). Plus I think Brandon Ingram would be an RFA (I think), if he doesn't take his qualifying offer, and I don't think he will. He will probably be due something in the $14-18 a year range at least, if healthy
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3755 on: June 13, 2019, 11:40:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I'm not sure if they would because the #4 pick will be earning a pretty solid salary (if they don't ship it out). Plus I think Brandon Ingram would be an RFA (I think), if he doesn't take his qualifying offer, and I don't think he will. He will probably be due something in the $14-18 a year range at least, if healthy
They could make a few trades and probably get there next summer (or I suppose could just sign and trade for Davis next summer). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3756 on: June 13, 2019, 12:21:44 PM »

Online RMO

• Bill Walton
Fletcher Mackel
@FletcherWDSU
·
8m
NBA source tells me the “All-Star player” being referenced when talking about Anthony Davis/Lakers scenarios and using the #4 pick to get NOLA a veteran is Bradley Beal.
Pelicans want him in 3-team deal with LA.
@FearTheBrown
 was first to report Beal as Pels target.
@wdsu

Not sure if this means the Pelicans said use your 4th pick to get us Beal and we have a deal or if the Wizards and lakers are discussing. 

Also, at the moment I'm not sure the Wizards have a GM.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 12:31:11 PM by RMO »

« Reply #3757 on: June 13, 2019, 12:31:05 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Fletcher Mackel
@FletcherWDSU
·
8m
NBA source tells me the “All-Star player” being referenced when talking about Anthony Davis/Lakers scenarios and using the #4 pick to get NOLA a veteran is Bradley Beal.
@FearTheBrown
@wdsu

Not sure if this means the Pelicans said use your 4th pick to get us Beal and we have a deal or if the Wizards and lakers are discussing.

No way in the world is the 4 pick worth Beal.

« Reply #3758 on: June 13, 2019, 12:36:36 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
anybody around here in dc says the only way they should deal beal is if they can get rid of Walls deal.   Can't see Pelicans taking it,  but maybe the Lakers??

Beal, Ingram would be a decent haul for NO if they think Beal's open to resigning.

« Reply #3759 on: June 13, 2019, 12:36:37 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Brooklyn in the conversation now ::)

« Reply #3760 on: June 13, 2019, 12:41:18 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
anybody around here in dc says the only way they should deal beal is if they can get rid of Walls deal.   Can't see Pelicans taking it,  but maybe the Lakers??

Beal, Ingram(if healthy) would be a decent haul for NO if they think Beal's open to resigning.

« Reply #3761 on: June 13, 2019, 12:42:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Fletcher Mackel
@FletcherWDSU
·
8m
@FearTheBrown
@wdsu

What about the 4th pick and Kuzma, whom the Lakers have been holding back?  Would Wiz bite on that? May be a payroll issue. When does Beal become a FA? 2020?  If so, why would Pels want a rental?

« Reply #3762 on: June 13, 2019, 12:43:14 PM »

Online RMO

• Bill Walton

Fletcher Mackel
@FletcherWDSU
·
8m
@FearTheBrown
@wdsu

What about the 4th pick and Kuzma, whom the Lakers have been holding back?  Would Wiz bite on that? May be a payroll issue. When does Beal become a FA? 2020?  If so, why would Pels want a rental?

What is so special about Kuzma?  I just don't see it.

« Reply #3763 on: June 13, 2019, 12:44:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Fletcher Mackel
@FletcherWDSU
·
8m
@FearTheBrown
@wdsu

Yeah I can't imagine Washington having interest in parting with Beal for whatever the Lakers are likely to offer.

I interpret that to mean the Pelicans need the Lakers to find a way to get Beal in the deal in order to make it happen.  The Pelicans are not interested in doing a two team deal with the Lakers. 

That makes sense -- the Pelicans are going to want to have a team that can be fun and reasonably competitive after trading Davis, and none of the Lakers' young players have yet shown an ability to contribute to winning basketball.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3764 on: June 13, 2019, 12:47:07 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I’ve heard that the bulls could be the third team with Lavine.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BullsStampede/status/1139182309343674369