Author Topic: Heat looking for help on wing (per Sheridan)  (Read 3976 times)

Re: Heat looking for help on wing (per Sheridan)
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 08:02:21 AM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
Why didn't they push for Evan Turner? Or still do so, there's no ink on the paperwork yet.
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 08:18:52 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Why didn't they push for Evan Turner? Or still do so, there's no ink on the paperwork yet.

Because they can only offer players the minimum salary, and we'll be paying Turner 3-4 times that.

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 09:03:11 AM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White

Because they can only offer players the minimum salary, and we'll be paying Turner 3-4 times that.

Even if Allen signs elsewhere? Cap Holds and all that stuff make my head spin.

-Jason Kidd

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 09:10:17 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
They want someone they can get on the cheap that could play a specific role.  Someone like Marshon Brooks (though more of a wing).  That is what they are looking for.  A player they can sign for the minimum or trade something like a 2nd round pick for.  Sure they would love a better player than that, but they don't have the ability to trade for or sign anyone for any real money, so that is what they are looking for. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 09:31:17 AM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
They want someone they can get on the cheap that could play a specific role.  Someone like Marshon Brooks (though more of a wing).  That is what they are looking for.  A player they can sign for the minimum or trade something like a 2nd round pick for.  Sure they would love a better player than that, but they don't have the ability to trade for or sign anyone for any real money, so that is what they are looking for.

Hey, how about Chris Johnson?

-Jason Kidd

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 09:33:54 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
So am I.

Anyone know where I can find some tasty wings?

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 09:54:06 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
There is no way the Heat can acquire Green without giving up a key player.  Not enough salaries available.

Correct.  Maybe a three way trade, as I really don't see anything on their team that we might want.
It doesn't matter how many teams you add, the Heat can't acquire that much salary without giving up a key player.

Which makes me wonder why they didn't sign and trade James to Cleveland.  If nothing else the  trade exception would have been very useful for them.

James signed a contract that would not be permitted under rules for a sign and trade.
He did.  What part?

S&T contracts must be at least three years in length, not including any options. James signed a two-year deal with the second year as a player option.  The length of the contract to position himself to take advantage of changes in revenue seems to be a big deal for him.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 10:43:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
There is no way the Heat can acquire Green without giving up a key player.  Not enough salaries available.

Correct.  Maybe a three way trade, as I really don't see anything on their team that we might want.
It doesn't matter how many teams you add, the Heat can't acquire that much salary without giving up a key player.

Which makes me wonder why they didn't sign and trade James to Cleveland.  If nothing else the  trade exception would have been very useful for them.

James signed a contract that would not be permitted under rules for a sign and trade.
He did.  What part?

S&T contracts must be at least three years in length, not including any options. James signed a two-year deal with the second year as a player option.  The length of the contract to position himself to take advantage of changes in revenue seems to be a big deal for him.
Oh yeah, I forgot that part.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip