Poll

If Kyrie leaves AND there is an AD trade, would you be in favor of re-signing Rozier?

Yes
29 (50.9%)
No
28 (49.1%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: All Aboard the Rozier Train...I guess  (Read 9591 times)

Re: All Aboard the Rozier Train...I guess
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2019, 01:01:40 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Duplicate post...sorry. Hopefully I can think of something else to add here later!

« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2019, 01:01:48 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
The easiest way to get Russell - if that's what people want - is to S&T with BKN. Russell has already said he has a desire to play here - there has to be some level of assets/picks that they would accept in order to facilitate a trade since their only other option is letting him walk for nothing. Then you can keep Al, Morris, Rozier, whatever - no renouncing necessary.

Anyway, this idea has now changed a bit. Tatum/JB/Smart will all likely be here next year. You are now relegating Smart to the bench to make Terry happy. I imagine if I asked the question again, the poll results would lean more towards 'no'. Rozier made all the sense in the world if we were trading our backcourt for AD, but that is clearly not the case anymore.

Have not heard him say that, but will take your word for it.

Just so you don't think I'm crazy, but I can't say it has been confirmed at all. I probably shouldn't have made such a bold statement:

idk this “source” but figured i’d put it here just in case

**UPDATED NBA RUMORS**
Source:  D’Angelo Russell has interest in playing for Boston Celtics or NY Knicks if Kyrie Irving signs with Nets.. no word yet if those teams have mutual feeling #NBAFreeAgency

https://twitter.com/incarceratedbob/status/1139732225967251456?s=21

If Russell had interest in Boston, not sure why it wouldn't be mutual on Ainge's part? If I had to choose between Russell or Rozier, I take Russell in a heartbeat. Probably safe to say Kyrie is gone.
Problem is it is almost impossible to do a double S&T (not including all the other cap implications that go with it). Only way I see it even remotely possible is if the Cs renounce all possible FAs and Horford opts out.

Yes, tell Horford to opt out.

Trade Yabu and Ojeleye to open up more cap space.

It can be done but Horford has to be sacrificed.

« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2019, 01:38:48 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Why settle for Rozier if getting D'Angelo Russell is possible?
It's not really possible barring a S&T though.

And D-Lo is just a poor mans Kyrie. Would rather just run it young

Why is it not possible?

If Horford opts out, that's 30.1m off the payroll.

Once Kyrie leaves, that's another 21.3m.

Celts payroll without Kyrie and Horford will just be around 65m.
The salary cap for next season is 109m.
I'd rather keep Horford

Horford can restructure his deal if he opts out.

That way the Celts can use the cap then re-sign Horford to a more team friendly deal.
Cap doesn't work that way. Once Horford opts out a cap hold is put in place that is higher than his last year's salary. So you would need to renounce Horford to sign Russell. Then once Russell signs and uses up that cap space, all you have to offer Horford is a full MLE.

That would mean trying to convince Horford to opt out to sign a three year MLE deal that would be as much as the money he would make next year alone on his current contract. That will never happen

Without the contracts of Kyrie and Horford, the Celts just have around 65m in total salaries.
The salary cap for next season is 109m.

So there's enough wiggle room to make it happen.

Ainge can always trade 3 picks for 1.

But if it's too complicated then just renounce Horford.

Celts are not close to becoming a contender anyway.

Right now Horford is not a priority.
You have your numbers wrong. Maybe you are forgetting that Baynes opted in with assurances he would not be traded. So let's look at actual numbers:

Total salary after Kyrie and Horford walk would be $71.8 million. Then you have cap holds for the three draft picks and an empty roster slot. That's slightly over $8 million. So let's call salary and holds total $80 million. You would then need to renounce Kyrie, Horford, Rozier, Theis, Wanamaker and Morris to clear open $29 million in cap space.

If you then use that cap space all you have is the room exception to offer Horford to re-sign.

Your scenario will not happen.

Good to know. All this cap stuff confuses me.

Well, if the Celts could find a way to free up $29 million even if we keep our 3 picks, that should be something Ainge should at least consider.

I mean, if we still have Smart, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Baynes, R.Williams, Yabusele, Ojeleye and our 4 picks including our 2nd rounder, that's 12 guys right there.

Then with the $29 million freed up, you can either make a really strong offer to a really good free agent (D'Angelo Russell, Tobias Harris) or split it into 2 different offers for 2 different players (guys like Cousins, Danny Green, Deandre Jordan, etc.)

Just spit balling ideas, I guess.

That's what I'm saying.

Making a move now is better than keeping Horford when the championship window has closed for the Celts.

Except you moved the goalposts. Originally you were saying for Horford to opt out, sign DLo then re-sign Horford. See your quote below. That's what can't be logically done.

Horford can restructure his deal if he opts out.

That way the Celts can use the cap then re-sign Horford to a more team friendly deal.

« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2019, 01:41:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The easiest way to get Russell - if that's what people want - is to S&T with BKN. Russell has already said he has a desire to play here - there has to be some level of assets/picks that they would accept in order to facilitate a trade since their only other option is letting him walk for nothing. Then you can keep Al, Morris, Rozier, whatever - no renouncing necessary.

Anyway, this idea has now changed a bit. Tatum/JB/Smart will all likely be here next year. You are now relegating Smart to the bench to make Terry happy. I imagine if I asked the question again, the poll results would lean more towards 'no'. Rozier made all the sense in the world if we were trading our backcourt for AD, but that is clearly not the case anymore.

Just so you don't think I'm crazy, but I can't say it has been confirmed at all. I probably shouldn't have made such a bold statement:

**UPDATED NBA RUMORS**
Source:  D’Angelo Russell has interest in playing for Boston Celtics or NY Knicks if Kyrie Irving signs with Nets.. no word yet if those teams have mutual feeling #NBAFreeAgency

If Russell had interest in Boston, not sure why it wouldn't be mutual on Ainge's part? If I had to choose between Russell or Rozier, I take Russell in a heartbeat. Probably safe to say Kyrie is gone.
Problem is it is almost impossible to do a double S&T (not including all the other cap implications that go with it). Only way I see it even remotely possible is if the Cs renounce all possible FAs and Horford opts out.

You can not force a player to opt out.

« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2019, 08:18:33 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Is Russell + Brown + Tatum + unknown role player + Williams(?), and Smart (6th man), good enough to seriously compete for a championship in a few years?

« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2019, 08:29:15 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
As much as I hated Rozier this year I actually think if he is the top dawg without having to deal with Kyrie's BS that Rozier can be very good this year.

« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2019, 08:37:57 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
As much as I hated Rozier this year I actually think if he is the top dawg without having to deal with Kyrie's BS that Rozier can be very good this year.

Perhaps he can, but unless he's willing to accept a reasonable salary (<10 million) he can go find his luck elsewhere. I'm convinced that Rozier can't be a top 5 guy on a championship team. So take role player type money or leave.

« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2019, 08:38:11 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

**UPDATED NBA RUMORS**

You can not force a player to opt out.

No, but Horford said he would and sing a new contract if they signed him long term. He also was waiting to see what DA was going to do, which means he either wants to try to win here and would sacrifice yearly money for long term stability("cough" trade bait in DA's mind  "cough"). Or he wants to play with a contender which I don't blame him at this point, and would bounce.

I'm sure DA will go to him in the next week and give him all the options of what they may do and see where he's at.

« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2019, 09:48:34 AM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
Hopeful the return off the real scary Terry. Lets see what happens when the ball come sou of Kyrie hands and is returned to the rest of the team.

« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2019, 10:06:39 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Honestly, Terry's style of play is too much like Kyrie's... ball-dominant, score-first PG... I don't think that's what this system needs... I think it hums better with someone more like a Chris Paul than a Russel Westbrook.

The problem that we have to resolve is everyone on the team can't be looking to score... and we already have to feed Tatum, Brown and Gordon.

« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I'd let Terry walk tbh, with or without Kyrie, we need a pass first point guard imo. Can we get a Rubio or even bring back Rondo and give the keys to Tatum, or Brown ?

« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2019, 10:24:12 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The reason Ainge will resign Terry is not because he's a good enough point guard for a title contending team.  The Celtics aren't a contender and won't be one for a long time. It will be because Terry is an asset and it won't make sense to let an asset walk for nothing.

Terry's market value is diminished right now. If he plays as a full time starter and looks like scary Terry again, he may be seen as underpaid.

Of course, I don't know what the point of collecting all the assets actually is ....
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2019, 10:29:48 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
The reason Ainge will resign Terry is not because he's a good enough point guard for a title contending team.  The Celtics aren't a contender and won't be one for a long time. It will be because Terry is an asset and it won't make sense to let an asset walk for nothing.

Terry's market value is diminished right now. If he plays as a full time starter and looks like scary Terry again, he may be seen as underpaid.

Of course, I don't know what the point of collecting all the assets actually is ....

I thought I knew. Now I’m not so sure. Maybe it’s just to give Cs fans something to talk about during the boring offseason
- LilRip

« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2019, 12:58:40 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If another team signs rozier, let him walk.  If no one does, bring him back for his last year.  No way I sign him long term. 

That’s where I’m at.

« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2019, 01:59:22 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
If it's a reasonable deal, why not? Minutes won't be a problem, so chemistry shouldn't be an issue