Author Topic: Trade that would kill three birds with one stone  (Read 2969 times)

Trade that would kill three birds with one stone
« on: June 10, 2018, 01:16:47 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Raptors receive: Wiggins, Deng, Ball (edit: 19, 21 first round Laker picks)

Lakers receive: DeRozan

Timberwolves receive: Lowry

Each team will solve issues here; Raptor will rebuild with Wiggins locked in to a long term deal and given he is a Canadian star even if they struggle you will still get bums in seats, given they are rebuilding they can happily take Deng's poison contract and with it the sweetener of Ball.

Lakers get rid of the Ball headache and given they want to compete now he was obvious not ready and shows LeBron you are serious about fighting for a championship and bringing in all-star DeRozan is a nice step. During the past season Ingram has excelled at point guard and would make the perfect compliment to a DeRozan, James, George starting line up.

It's obvious that Wiggins is the weak link for Thibs and a swap for Lowry solves all issues including leadership and defence, a core of Lowry, Butler and Towns is much more balanced.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 02:27:32 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

Re: Trade that would kill three birds with one stone
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 01:30:43 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
What did the Raptors ever do to you?  Wiggins for Lowry is not too bad but Deng and Ball for Derozan is horrible. 

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 01:32:11 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Raptors front office would be mad to do this
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 01:37:09 AM »

• Bill Walton
What did the Raptors ever do to you?  Wiggins for Lowry is not too bad but Deng and Ball for Derozan is horrible.

Obviously there could be a first or two thrown in but you've got to look at DeRozen's market value who needs him atm that could offer Toronto anything? Ball on the other hand is still very young and is a valuable commodity even with his shooting problems, I was never a fan of his for the Celtics but the level of hate towards him has clouded the fact that he is a blue chip talent.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:43:46 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 01:43:22 AM »

• Bill Walton

Why? Where is this current Raptors team getting you? They were destroyed by the Cavs and next season 76ers and the Celtics will surpass them too, teams like that are not worth luxury tax it would be wise to get some value for money now before Lowry (32) and DeRozen (28) become untradeable. Like i said before you would probably want a first round pick or two from Lakers for Deng but a fresh start seems like the best course of action after the firing of Casey.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 02:11:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Why? Where is this current Raptors team getting you? They were destroyed by the Cavs and next season 76ers and the Celtics will surpass them too, teams like that are not worth luxury tax it would be wise to get some value for money now before Lowry (32) and DeRozen (28) become untradeable. Like i said before you would probably want a first round pick or two from Lakers for Deng but a fresh start seems like the best course of action after the firing of Casey.
Yeah, but trading someone who is arguably the greatest player in franchise history for a cancer of a contract, a rookie who has proven to be a playmaking headache, and picks that will likely be poor considering the ambitious front office and all their salary space would be a terrible move.

Moving Lowry is definitely a good move (same goes for Ibaka I think), but I think moving DeRozan for a pretty weak package would be a terrible move

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 02:21:17 AM »

• Bill Walton

Yeah, but trading someone who is arguably the greatest player in franchise history for a cancer of a contract, a rookie who has proven to be a playmaking headache, and picks that will likely be poor considering the ambitious front office and all their salary space would be a terrible move.

Moving Lowry is definitely a good move (same goes for Ibaka I think), but I think moving DeRozan for a pretty weak package would be a terrible move

Ohk, I understand where you are coming from but you (Raptors GM) are stuck between a rock and a hard place. You are capped out and facing the lux tax and can make no significant changes to the current roster, you are being surpassed by 76ers and Celtics talent wise and if you only move Lowry, DeRozen will not want to be part of a rebuild and with the Lakers essentially being his dream destination the window for a trade there may only be this offseason. Like I alluded to before Ball has become criminally underrated because of his father and given you will be thousands of miles from LA and it's a hockey city, Toronto may be the best spot for him. A young core of Ball, Wiggins and OG Anunoby with a couple of late first is a fantastic starting spot for a rebuilding franchise.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 02:36:33 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I wouldn't take on Deng's contract for Ball.  Giving up Derozan in that trade would be nuts.  Any 1sts would be in the 20s so not worth much.  If they put Derozan on the market, they'd get a good return. 

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 02:45:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Ohk, I understand where you are coming from but you (Raptors GM) are stuck between a rock and a hard place. You are capped out and facing the lux tax and can make no significant changes to the current roster, you are being surpassed by 76ers and Celtics talent wise and if you only move Lowry, DeRozen will not want to be part of a rebuild and with the Lakers essentially being his dream destination the window for a trade there may only be this offseason. Like I alluded to before Ball has become criminally underrated because of his father and given you will be thousands of miles from LA and it's a hockey city, Toronto may be the best spot for him. A young core of Ball, Wiggins and OG Anunoby with a couple of late first is a fantastic starting spot for a rebuilding franchise.
You and I definitely value Ball and Wiggins differently. Ball is a weak defender who is a worse shooter than Marcus Smart, and Wiggins is an overpaid scorer who is only refuses to defend. That isn't a good return at all

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 03:03:16 AM »

• Bill Walton

You and I definitely value Ball and Wiggins differently. Ball is a weak defender who is a worse shooter than Marcus Smart, and Wiggins is an overpaid scorer who is only refuses to defend. That isn't a good return at all

Lonzo Ball ranks 26th in defensive rating, 13th in steals and 26th in defensive win share he is not a poor defender, his shooting is his main concern but so is Simmons and many other rookies in history. You seem to also forget that no one wanted Lowry or DeRozen in their youth but were developed and I would honestly like to hear a better return for DeRozen who is currently in his prime and on a max deal and is also a poor shooter.

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 03:18:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Lonzo Ball ranks 26th in defensive rating, 13th in steals and 26th in defensive win share he is not a poor defender, his shooting is his main concern but so is Simmons and many other rookies in history. You seem to also forget that no one wanted Lowry or DeRozen in their youth but were developed and I would honestly like to hear a better return for DeRozen who is currently in his prime and on a max deal and is also a poor shooter.
Nene has a better defensive rating than Al Horford, so you’ll excuse me if I don’t regard that as a telling defensive stat. Same goes with defensive win shares, with both Simmons and Mitchell having more than Jrue Holiday, who wasn’t arguably the best guard defender this season.
Just because other poor shooters have developed a shot doesn’t mean Lonzo was. For someone who actually attempts 3’s he’s got the most broken shooting form I’ve ever seen.
I’m advocaring that Toronto don’t move DeRozan, so I’m not going to try and think of a better trade involving him

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 04:29:06 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I think this trade is great for all teams and it makes sense from the hometown perspective. I love it. TP OP
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 05:41:27 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd do the Lowery deal no doubt but dont see Wolves having 19 million dollar Teague come off the bench. If they can flip Teague it makes sense.

No on DeRozan from Raptors perspective. Just no value in that deal for them. DeRozan is a top 5 SG and legit max player. You don't deal him for a bad contract and Ball.

How about just Raptors and Wolves deal
Lowry and Ibaka
for
Teague and Wiggins.

Raptors=Teague, DeRozan, Wiggins, Si, Val
Wolves=Lowry, Crawford, Butler, Ibaka, Towns
It's a shake up but I don't think it changes much.

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Why would a Celtics Fan make a trade to help the Lakers?  Name one good reason....

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 09:45:55 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yikes.

Terrible for the Raptors.

Even worse for the Wolves. Lowry and Tuegue both tying up 40 mil at their PG slot. No thanks.