Poll

Who would you rather have moving forward?

Thompson
9 (20.5%)
Theis
35 (79.5%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Tristan Thompson or Daniel Theis?  (Read 8042 times)

Tristan Thompson or Daniel Theis?
« on: January 21, 2021, 08:31:34 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The poll is a simple question of who you prefer between the two. We've seen numerous posts about how we should be looking to move Theis since he isn't playing as well this season and because of his pending FA status. But, he is also making half as much as Thompson - does anybody think Theis will actually make more than $10M/yr next season?

After the Indy deal fell through (don't even get me started on that), I was fully in favor of the Thompson signing - he seemed to be everything we needed as a strong, mobile big man, who could defend and rebound. Unfortunately, he hasn't come quite as advertised - especially defensively - and he adds absolutely nothing in terms of offense. He's like the anti-Kanter - only Kanter was at least a huge body on defense. Funny enough, would we rather have Kanter?

If I were Danny, I would be calling around the league gauging interest in Thompson. His inclusion alone in a deal would allow us to use almost the entire TPE while staying under the tax this season. And if you want to pick up a 3rd string C for the minimum, we can still do that. I like Thompson and I love his effort, but I think I'd rather see more TL and Theis - now and in the future.

Re: Tristan Thompson or Daniel Theis?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 08:41:41 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Theis looks better right now with Kemba.   I would still give time for Thompson and Kemba to build some chemistry with Kemba. 

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 08:53:14 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Bring back Horford! There are different ways to do it without hitting the luxury tax

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 09:07:18 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Bring back Horford! There are different ways to do it without hitting the luxury tax

He just doesn't look the same right now.  His contract is to much for the next few years. 

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 09:21:38 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

He just doesn't look the same right now.  His contract is to much for the next few years.
Just saw his efficiency really dropped off. Woops
Ok I wish we didn’t trade kanter for nothing but kept him

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 09:21:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I never really understood why everyone was so high on Thompson.  I think he and Theis are similar players, but I'd take Theis for his age (more less miles than actual age as they are similar in actual age), his 3 point range, and his better contract.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 09:29:18 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
The poll is a simple question of who you prefer between the two. We've seen numerous posts about how we should be looking to move Theis since he isn't playing as well this season and because of his pending FA status. But, he is also making half as much as Thompson - does anybody think Theis will actually make more than $10M/yr next season?

After the Indy deal fell through (don't even get me started on that), I was fully in favor of the Thompson signing - he seemed to be everything we needed as a strong, mobile big man, who could defend and rebound. Unfortunately, he hasn't come quite as advertised - especially defensively - and he adds absolutely nothing in terms of offense. He's like the anti-Kanter - only Kanter was at least a huge body on defense. Funny enough, would we rather have Kanter?

If I were Danny, I would be calling around the league gauging interest in Thompson. His inclusion alone in a deal would allow us to use almost the entire TPE while staying under the tax this season. And if you want to pick up a 3rd string C for the minimum, we can still do that. I like Thompson and I love his effort, but I think I'd rather see more TL and Theis - now and in the future.

It really depends who they are bringing in. Thompson has not been playing well, but he can somewhat hold his own against big centers in the league like Embiid, Lopez, Jordan, Drummond, Sabonis, Turner, etc. Theis cannot. Same height, but Thompson seems to be much stronger.

Letting Kanter go was a mistake. Thompson’s defense is overrated and I would rather have Kanter who can score the ball and is just as good of a rebounder. He’s also making about half the amount of money as Thompson is... Sacramento is the only team that I can think of who may be a good trading partner for the C’s as they have Bagley, Holmes and Whiteside.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 09:29:50 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
They are both stop-gap solutions. Neither should be considered part of the long term plans. Both should be on the trade market looking for ways to upgrade the team.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 09:35:57 AM »

Offline mig3zwo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Theis should play in high heels. That should do it. (Well... that and refs cutting him some slack)  ;D
a limbo dancer walks into a bar

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 09:38:14 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

It really depends who they are bringing in. Thompson has not been playing well, but he can somewhat hold his own against big centers in the league like Embiid, Lopez, Jordan, Drummond, Sabonis, Turner, etc. Theis cannot. Same height, but Thompson seems to be much stronger.

Letting Kanter go was a mistake. Thompson’s defense is overrated and I would rather have Kanter who can score the ball and is just as good of a rebounder. He’s also making about half the amount of money as Thompson is... Sacramento is the only team that I can think of who may be a good trading partner for the C’s as they have Bagley, Holmes and Whiteside.

Funny enough, I like SAC as a trading partner using the TPE and Thompson for Barnes (or even Hield). I know this goes against your reasoning that they have too many big men - so why would they want another one - but it's not like their big rotation is killing it.

John Zannis (CLNS) had a funny comparison for Thompson last week saying he was like the little brother playing basketball against his big brothers. The big brothers keep tapping the ball away from him while he keeps jumping and trying his hardest to get the ball. Thompson's effort can't be questioned, but the results are concerning so far. I at least liked the different look somebody like Kanter brought to the team.

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 09:41:23 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570

Must have missed that last night as Embiid destroyed him.

I really hadn't watched much of him before this year, but I must admit, I'm not impressed.
He works hard on the boards, but not seeing anything besides that. He does not defend well, he doesn't defend the rim, and may be the worst offensive player in the NBA. Can't pass, shot and most certainly create a shot for himself. It's painful to watch him try and make a move to the hoop. Slow and no handle. It looked like when he got the ball in the post, he mostly wanted to get rid of it.

On a positive note, he seems like a nice guy and a good team mate, for what that's worth.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 09:42:01 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
They are both stop-gap solutions. Neither should be considered part of the long term plans. Both should be on the trade market looking for ways to upgrade the team.

Maybe, but Theis is a lot more versatile. His ability to play anywhere on the floor both on offense and defense is a huge plus. He can also play big minutes if needed. If we end up letting Theis go at the end of the year in favor of keeping Thompson, I will be upset.

As to your stop-gap point, hopefully TL can prove to be more consistent. I am always excited when he enters the game.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 10:01:02 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
It's not easy to get quality FAs to sign in Boston -- so Ainge has to be careful about trading FAs who DO sign here, especially in year one of their deal.

This is too bad, because Thompson is fat.

His defense has not been as advertised, and he's absolutely awful on the offensive end. The 5 rotation should be Theis and R Williams, assuming both are healthy, with an occasional sprinkle of Grant W when situations are appropriate.

Thompson should be a cheerleader for an extended stretch so those guys can settle into their roles.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 10:06:44 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

Maybe, but Theis is a lot more versatile. His ability to play anywhere on the floor both on offense and defense is a huge plus. He can also play big minutes if needed. If we end up letting Theis go at the end of the year in favor of keeping Thompson, I will be upset.

As to your stop-gap point, hopefully TL can prove to be more consistent. I am always excited when he enters the game.
Is there anything Timelord can do to be effective against embiid ? He can bother him with long arms but need more strength ... even that improvement seems insufficient to me.
How about we target valanciunas?

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 10:21:18 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
IMO, TT all the way. This is Theis' 3rd season in Boston. TT has had like a dozen games. Fans need to have a little patience for chemistry to build. Especially coming off a night where he had to guard the best post player in the league.